Red Wings Russian drafting - Time for a change ?

Should we start drafting russians again?

• YES. More heavy than ever

• YES. Like we did in the past before 2003

• NO. Keep it as it is.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
KHL salary cap is only $12.8M, Panarin alone makes $11.6M ($12.5M actual salary). The KHL is no longer capable of outbidding NHL teams
I don't think it's a factor for the superstars, but what about the depth players? What about the guys who would be 3rd/4th liners in NHL but can be 1st line players in KHL?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't think it's a factor for the superstars, but what about the depth players? What about the guys who would be 3rd/4th liners in NHL but can be 1st line players in KHL?
Highest reported salary is Dietz at $1.33M which is barely above NHL minimum. They'll make more in the NHL unless they can get paid under the table by a team. Plus Russia is probably gonna go into a recession this year.

The ones that will stay in the KHL are all offense no defense type players and others that don't fit into the NHL because of size, speed, work ethics, etc.

Besides, if they're bottom 6 players it's not a big loss if they don't sign.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Highest reported salary is Dietz at $1.33M which is barely above NHL minimum. They'll make more in the NHL unless they can get paid under the table by a team. Plus Russia is probably gonna go into a recession this year.

The ones that will stay in the KHL are all offense no defense type players and others that don't fit into the NHL because of size, speed, work ethics, etc.

Besides, if they're bottom 6 players it's not a big loss if they don't sign.
That just highlights what I think the true problem is; Russia is not producing a lot of talent. I see no reason to increase the amount of russians we draft.

Reactions: Gniwder

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That just highlights what I think the true problem is; Russia is not producing a lot of talent. I see no reason to increase the amount of russians we draft.
I think they are producing quite a bit of good talent in these 2022/2023 drafts.

You have Yurov and Mirosnichenko as high end talents for 2022. Michkov and But as high end talents for 2023.

Then you have a slew of good "next tier" talents in Trikozov, Perevalov, Duda, Grudinin, Neuchev this year. Kantserov already looks really promising for next year.

I think this next tier is where you could really get some value. I think some of those guys are 2nd rounders on talent, but will slides to round 3/4/5 because of the current world climate. And that's where you could gain an advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Realgud

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Agree. That and lately there's been a few Russians not willing to put their time in the AHL to learn the NA game like Kravtsov for example, and that's gotta turn teams off of Russians. The Swedes and other Euros seem more willing to play in the AHL like Berggren did, and Soderblom is going to do next season. The Swedish and Finnish kids seem to have a longer term view towards their career.

If anything, I think KHL salary deters Russian kids from playing in the AHL, and that is an issue now that I think about it.

Reactions: FMichael

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Agree. That and lately there's been a few Russians not willing to put their time in the AHL to learn the NA game like Kravtsov for example, and that's gotta turn teams off of Russians. The Swedes and other Euros seem more willing to play in the AHL like Berggren did, and Soderblom is going to do next season. The Swedish and Finnish kids seem to have a longer term view towards their career.

If anything, I think KHL salary deters Russian kids from playing in the AHL, and that is an issue now that I think about it.
While the number of quality Russian born/trained players has dropped - the number of 'Murican born/trained players has increased considerably over the past 10 to 15 years.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
All it will take is for Putin to refuse their right to come to North America. Then we will be smuggling them across the border again just like we used to. Now they have the KHL option at their disposal also

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
All it will take is for Putin to refuse their right to come to North America. Then we will be smuggling them across the border again just like we used to. Now they have the KHL option at their disposal also

There are countries that fly into both US and Russia like India and China. There's no Iron Curtain, Russian are still free to travel. Remember back in the Soviet days they literally shot people trying to escape.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Just have mock draft simulator, using Bob McKenzie order and got bunch of Russian prospects
#40 Trikozov
#73 Duda
#113 Barabosha
#212 Mayorov

Kasper gone at 7, so I got Gauthier instead

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So we got one.

Nothing devastating in the big picture.

Last 20 years:

2022 Buchelnikov - 2nd round
2019 Tyutyayev - 7th round
2015 Svechnikov - 1st round (considered as North American pick)
2014 Kadeykin - 7th round
2011 Marchenko - 7th round
2004 Stolyarov - 8th round

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad