Red Wings Prospects Waiver-Exemption

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Having XO, Marchenko, Sproul and Jensen all still in the system is poor asset management.

Is it possible we think too much of these guys???

I mean Marchenko is on the team...

But XO//Sproul//Jensen.... I wonder if anyone even puts a claim in on these guys.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

But XO//Sproul//Jensen.... I wonder if anyone even puts a claim in on these guys.

Jensen was once called the next Duncan Keith. Ouellet was the nearest comparable for Lidström-lite. Sproul was the re-incarnation of Shea Weber.

Marchenko was just... being Marchenko.... and he passed through. :)

Least expectations went through. Maybe it's the key?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Sproul was CHL d-man of the year. Other winners include Ivan Provorov, Derrick Pouliot, Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Ellis, Karl Alzner and Keith Yandle. I'm not saying he'll be up to the level of all these guys, all I'm suggeting is somone is probably going to want to take a flier on him and see if they can get him to develop. He was coached almost entirely by Jeff Blashill as a pro and Blashill doesn't exactly have a great track record with developing d-men. I'm guessing that's why they went out and hired Doug Houda this offseason.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nestrasil is very interesting story. He was a healthy scratch when Griffins did win the championship at 2013. But guy was the most drunken sailor on the celebrating videos...

I was then thinking, what a lazy-ass passenger.... you never become any special.

Then he kind of developed in the shadows, didn't statistically or other ways shine on those later teams at any season.

All of sudden after few years, he was good at pre-season (highest scorer or somthing) but it looked like s statistical fluke. There wasn't nothing impressive on his game as the real season went further. He was talked about as the "next Kopecky", and he did have some gritty net-fronter in him. But Sheahan was developing on the same mold at same time and was far ahead.

Then, Carolina claims him and he gets somewhat hot start. Cools afterwards. When I looked at his advanced stats he didn't look good there also. But at last season, he really come out strong. Has great advanced stats at weak Carolina team. Scored on a decent level and played on shut-down line with J.Staal.

Now he looks like a small steal for the canes. But nothing didn't predict towards it before last season. Maybe it was just the trust from Peters.

Ferraro... Bruins didn't keep him, he is now at St. Louis. Hard to predict anything, maybe he'll be better fit for western conf hockey, who knows.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Nestrasil is very interesting story. He was a healthy scratch when Griffins did win the championship at 2013. But guy was the most drunken sailor on the celebrating videos...

I was then thinking, what a lazy-ass passenger.... you never become any special.

Then he kind of developed in the shadows, didn't statistically or other ways shine on those later teams at any season.

All of sudden after few years, he was good at pre-season (highest scorer or somthing) but it looked like s statistical fluke. There wasn't nothing impressive on his game as the real season went further. He was talked about as the "next Kopecky", and he did have some gritty net-fronter in him. But Sheahan was developing on the same mold at same time and was far ahead.

Then, Carolina claims him and he gets somewhat hot start. Cools afterwards. When I looked at his advanced stats he didn't look good there also. But at last season, he really come out strong. Has great advanced stats at weak Carolina team. Scored on a decent level and played on shut-down line with J.Staal.

Now he looks like a small steal for the canes. But nothing didn't predict towards it before last season. Maybe it was just the trust from Peters.

Ferraro... Bruins didn't keep him, he is now at St. Louis. Hard to predict anything, maybe he'll be better fit for western conf hockey, who knows.

I disagree a bit about Nestrasil. His final season in GR wasn't bad. And when he was with the wings out of camp he looked solid in the games he got. Not blow off the doors good, but he was clearly an NHLer in my book. He was also something we needed - a big body who was effective along the boards and had a decent skill set.

I like the big kid and hope he runs with his opportunity in Carolina.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I did not realize Coreau lost waiver exemption. If he were to be claimed (I know that's unlikely), our goalie depth in GR would be shot. I think Paterson is kinda trash.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I did not realize Coreau lost waiver exemption. If he were to be claimed (I know that's unlikely), our goalie depth in GR would be shot. I think Paterson is kinda trash.

He didn't according to Khan Coreau is exempt for this year, It's the 2017/18 season that Coreau runs out of waivers he's fine for this year and that's according to Assistant GM Ryan Martin.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Link to where this was said?

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/redwings

capfriendly says that he is not waiver exempt, notice no "green arrow" next to Coreau's name.

Cap Friendly isn't always reliable, It post a lot of incorrect things, Goalies have 4 years of waiver exemptions and Coreau started in the 2013/14 season so 4 years takes him to 2017/18 season. Just going by what Khan said and Martin tweeted him saying that Coreau is exempt for 1 more season. I will take Ryan Martin over Cap Friendly any day.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Cap Friendly isn't always reliable, It post a lot of incorrect things, Goalies have 4 years of waiver exemptions and Coreau started in the 2013/14 season so 4 years takes him to 2017/18 season. Just going by what Khan said and Martin tweeted him saying that Coreau is exempt for 1 more season. I will take Ryan Martin over Cap Friendly any day.

Cite your source.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Goalies have 4 years of waiver exemptions and Coreau started in the 2013/14 season so 4 years takes him to 2017/18 season. Just going by what Khan said and Martin tweeted him saying that Coreau is exempt for 1 more season. I will take Ryan Martin over Cap Friendly any day.

Thanks about this. We still miss Matthew Wuest. :( Capfriendly information/data is mostly copied from capggeek, but Matt got these things always right.

http://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/10/7/4792782/nhl-waiver-waivers-cba-florida-panthers

Based on that article, it should take 4 contracted seasons for 22-year aged contract signee, when he loses his exemption. Coreau signed his 3-year ELC at 2012-13, and this season 2015-16 looked like it was his 4th season and it needed an 1-year extension. After that he has signed for this current 2-year extension for season 2016-17 and 2017-18.

At season 2012-13 he was at Northern Michigan University and did play first games for Griffins at 2013-14 season. I think that 1st season (2012-13) doesn't count, and it did somehow did get burned off. Or there has been false news about a 3-year deal. Maybe the first ELC was only 2-year. At least, technically it looks it was, and he is exempt from waiver for season 2016-17.

This is great. We can keep him down and buyout Howard at next summer (or hope for a pipedream expansion claim or trade) and open a slot for Coreau.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jared-coreau

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So I see this in the comments section of the Coreau article on MLive.

But when the hell did they change the waiver exemption rule for goalies?

It seems like that's what's throwing off the calculation by capfriendly, but I don't remember hearing a thing about this????

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

To add insult to injury... Since being claimed, Nestrasil has out produced both Pulkkinen and Jurco (who when Nestrasil got waived was hovering around the doorway of Babs doghouse, AND was still waiver exempt...) COMBINED...

I don't know why, I just feel like another one of those "Meech over Quincey" waiver flops is coming... Obviously everybody remembers Quincey getting waived and then brought back in exchange for a 1st, but I distinctly remember the explanation from Holland going something along the lines of "we feel Meech has more upside". Then it took Quincey something like 25 games with LA to eclipse Meech's career NHL production...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So I see this in the comments section of the Coreau article on MLive.

But when the hell did they change the waiver exemption rule for goalies?

It seems like that's what's throwing off the calculation by capfriendly, but I don't remember hearing a thing about this????

These is that some mismatch with the facts.

3-year ELC signed on april 2013. Coreau was then at Northern Michigan.

Contract somehow starts from 2012-13 season (technically) guy was still at Northern Michigan.

So, already on his 2nd year of ELC, he plays his first game as a Griffin. I think this is his first season, what matters.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
These is that some mismatch with the facts.

3-year ELC signed on april 2013. Coreau was then at Northern Michigan.

Contract somehow starts from 2012-13 season (technically) guy was still at Northern Michigan.

So, already on his 2nd year of ELC, he plays his first game as a Griffin. I think this is his first season, what matters.

Ok... so it's not tied to the fact that he's a goalie, it's because he was playing college hockey when he signed.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I thought goalies had an extra year of eligibility in terms of waivers. They can use a slider on it was what I understood it to be. Think Howard used all of his years as well.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
To add insult to injury... Since being claimed, Nestrasil has out produced both Pulkkinen and Jurco (who when Nestrasil got waived was hovering around the doorway of Babs doghouse, AND was still waiver exempt...) COMBINED...
That has more to do with opportunity than anything else.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I thought goalies had an extra year of eligibility in terms of waivers. They can use a slider on it was what I understood it to be. Think Howard used all of his years as well.

At some age they will have that extra year.

Check this link:

http://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/10/7/4792782/nhl-waiver-waivers-cba-florida-panthers

Contract signing age:

18y, goalie has 6 years, others have 5
19y, goalie has 5 years, others have 4
20y, goalie has 4 years, others have 3
21y, goalie has 4 years, others have 3
22y, goalie has 4 years, others have 3
then
23y, goalie has 3 years, others have 3
24y, goalie has 2 years, others have 2
+25, goalie has 1 year, others have 1

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Sproul was CHL d-man of the year. Other winners include Ivan Provorov, Derrick Pouliot, Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Ellis, Karl Alzner and Keith Yandle. I'm not saying he'll be up to the level of all these guys, all I'm suggeting is somone is probably going to want to take a flier on him and see if they can get him to develop. He was coached almost entirely by Jeff Blashill as a pro and Blashill doesn't exactly have a great track record with developing d-men. I'm guessing that's why they went out and hired Doug Houda this offseason.

You're implying that Blashill somehow screwed up Sproul's development, though. Detroit has been needing a right-shot defenseman for the longest time. If Sproul was good he would have out performed guys like Jensen, XO and Marchenko and been called up in a heartbeat. He's not, and that's why he's been in the minors.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You're implying that Blashill somehow screwed up Sproul's development, though. Detroit has been needing a right-shot defenseman for the longest time. If Sproul was good he would have out performed guys like Jensen, XO and Marchenko and been called up. He's not, and that's why he's been in the minors.

Sproul is still slow as hell, nothing else is wrong. Huge reach like Ericsson and that one-timer is the hardest cannon we have in whole organization.

He just needs to work harder with his skating. Or if everything is done, then he will be career minor leaguer.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Wasn't that also just because he was a college guy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad