Pre-Game Talk: Red Wings @ Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
871943F9-B138-4690-9593-A0D2719CC27C.png

Koko, be like, come at me brah.

Will Zadina be called up for this game so that he can exact his revenge on us for skipping him in the draft?

Would be great if KK outscores him :)

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Slight concern for me is emotional let downs after great wins. I hope they come out flying and win this thing early.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Plekanec likely to play his 1000th career game. Neat.

Can we get Alzner back in the lineup so Ouellet can go away forever, please?

I don't know if any of you saw the celebration for Luongo 1000th games last week.....i just hope it won't be as long as this one was.
Luongo got a painting, somekind of plate and a gold hockey stick and it took forever

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
I don't know if any of you saw the celebration for Luongo 1000th games last week.....i just hope it won't be as long as this one was.
Luongo got a painting, somekind of plate and a gold hockey stick and it took forever
1000 games for a goalie is way more special than for a skater. There's only 3 of them.

Plekanec's 1000th game with the CH (which will happen in 18 games) should be more significant, since only 5 players achieved it (Bergevin took care of Markov).

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Plekanec deserves all the credit in rhw world. I understand he's far from what he used to be and Julien bludgeoned the team with him, but he's one of the greatest Habs of the past 20 years.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Plekanec deserves all the credit in rhw world. I understand he's far from what he used to be and Julien bludgeoned the team with him, but he's one of the greatest Habs of the past 20 years.
That says a lot about the state of this franchise.

Reactions: LaP

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Couple of things.

One, Pleks was a fantastic 2C for us for plenty of years. Guy has aged and his abilities have dwindled. I dont blame a player for wanting to hang in there for us long as possible both for financial reasons and the love of everything that comes with playing on an NHL team. And the guy loves Montreal, not many can handle it like him. No fuss, no mush, just went out and did his job cor all those years.

Second, since we are talking about 1000 games for other players.

Funniest one I remember is the Leafs honouring Tie Domi for his 1000th NHL game, not 1000th Leafs game, just NHL. They presented him with a silver hockey stick and it was a major deal with all sorts of pomp and circumstance.

I mean I got honouring him, but it was such a thing you really saw they hadnt had much to celebrate for a while.

The bad was the CBC was all in on this. It contrasted to the Habs honouring Boom Boom Geoffrion when the CBC just showed a small part of the ceremony. It was disgusting and yet another CBC low.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
And nothing about the player. He deserves cheers and an ovation.
I'll be the first to applaud his accomplishments. He was a good player, not great. His rookie years with the Kosts brothers were fun and he wore the turtle neck with style. His time has come to hang them up or go play in Europe for a few years.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Couple of things.

One, Pleks was a fantastic 2C for us for plenty of years. Guy has aged and his abilities have dwindled. I dont blame a player for wanting to hang in there for us long as possible both for financial reasons and the love of everything that comes with playing on an NHL team. And the guy loves Montreal, not many can handle it like him. No fuss, no mush, just went out and did his job cor all those years.

Second, since we are talking about 1000 games for other players.

Funniest one I remember is the Leafs honouring Tie Domi for his 1000th NHL game, not 1000th Leafs game, just NHL. They presented him with a silver hockey stick and it was a major deal with all sorts of pomp and circumstance.

I mean I got honouring him, but it was such a thing you really saw they hadnt had much to celebrate for a while.

The bad was the CBC was all in on this. It contrasted to the Habs honouring Boom Boom Geoffrion when the CBC just showed a small part of the ceremony. It was disgusting and yet another CBC low.
Plekanec was a good #1 centre for us. Not many #2 centres put up 55+ points, and he did that four times, and then also had 33 points in 47 games during the shortened season (which would be about 57 points over an 82 game schedule).

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I think he's exactly the same as last year. This statement is meant to be more telling about last year than this year though.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yeah, unfortunately, Pleks is done. He gets the one game to hit 1,000 then Peca or DLR should take over.

I love Pleks. One of my favorites in his Prime, but he should seriously consider retirement. Turn him into a practice coach and he can work with Kotka, Peca & DLR to improve their defensive play, face-offs and p.k. skills.

Also, Detroit has not won a game yet and I really don't expect Montreal to lose this one. Our forward depth is decent even though it lacks natural scoring and skill.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
He's not done. He's the same as last year. Still very reliable defensively, but not much on the offense. Obviously we have no use for him, but he's here so we must deal with that. To his defense, throughout the years I've seen guys that we're so much more "done" than he is right now.

I don't see much problem with him as long as he stays on the 4th line and plays around 8-10 minutes a game. I mean he's coming from the 1-2nd line to the 4th, I think he can handle that. The problem is that others could too, doesn't mean he's horrible and the worst player, etc. He's where he should be but I'd prefer others in his place.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He's not done. He's the same as last year. Still very reliable defensively, but not much on the offense. Obviously we have no use for him, but he's here so we must deal with that. To his defense, throughout the years I've seen guys that we're so much more "done" than he is right now.

I don't see much problem with him as long as he stays on the 4th line and plays around 8-10 minutes a game. I mean he's coming from the 1-2nd line to the 4th, I think he can handle that. The problem is that others could too, doesn't mean he's horrible and the worst player, etc. He's where he should be but I'd prefer others in his place.

He is worse than last year. He should be at best the 13th forward.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
He is worse than last year. He should be at best the 13th forward.

I don't see how worse he is than last year at all. He's exactly the same. To me, the only thing that's different are expecations and ice time. I believe that strongly. I think Plekanec should have been a 3rd defensive C for the past 3 years.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't see how worse he is than last year at all. He's exactly the same. To me, the only thing that's different are expecations and ice time. I believe that strongly. I think Plekanec should have been a 3rd defensive C for the past 3 years.

Maybe it's just me, but he looks slower than ever.

Reactions: cap10bfl

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC

Pleks is done. This is his final year in the league
I hate that he’s playing over Peca and DLR and might take minutes away from Kontaniemi
Give him his 1000th game and say goodbye
It may even be better to see what if anything McCarron can bring to this Line up

Reactions: dinodebino

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Look, for the last couple of years I was also wondering if having Plekanec was better than not having him at all. Same with Gionta when he was here. Similar questions, but not as sure, when Paccioretty was here.

However, I stand by the fact that I don't think he's that much more "done" than he was last year. I think he's been done for several years actually. I think he should have been a 3rd center for the past 2-3 years, hence why I also think he should play that role now, or at least now that he's signed which I wouldn't have done in the first place anyway. My point is that I don't think he's that much worse than last year, hence my comment "it's more telling about last year..."

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Look, for the last couple of years I was also wondering if having Plekanec was better than not having him at all. Same with Gionta when he was here. Similar questions, but not as sure, when Paccioretty was here.

However, I stand by the fact that I don't think he's that much more "done" than he was last year. I think he's been done for several years actually. I think he should have been a 3rd center for the past 2-3 years, hence why I also think he should play that role now, or at least now that he's signed which I wouldn't have done.

He looked good when he missed his FIRST defensive assignment Saturday whem replacing 15 on the third line. I mean, Malkin got spooked by the change-up.

The guy is done. He is taking the spot of a younger lad, who would learn more my playing than eating those fine dogs.

But we all know that Clode loves his 14. À la mort.

Reactions: Runner77

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
He looked good when he missed his FIRST defensive assignment Saturday whem replacing 15 on the third line. I mean, Malkin got spooked by the change-up.

The guy is done. He is taking the spot of a younger lad, who would learn more my playing than eating those fine dogs.

But we all know that Clode loves his 14. À la mort.

Other people could say it was his first shift and give him a break. It depends on perception. I mean I get the feeling, even more so that Kotkaniemi lost ice time to him. I was frustrated too, a lot actually. But, it's hard to judge in once sequence. Read back my comment, I judge Plekanec's play on the past three years, which I think is very similar to this year, with him not evolving but staying exactly the same.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Can't wait for this one if only because I am going to be there in person tomorrow. First game at the Bell Center in about 7 years, seen them lives a bunch of times in Ottawa but always best on home ice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad