News Article: Red Wings did make 31M profit with the worst season in their hockey history

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2020-12-10_18-27-57.png

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
If you think about all the costs of owning a hockey team the profit margin is actually very slim I’d imagine. You gotta like hockey because it’s not a great business. Most businesses carry a 30% margin at minimum. I’d bet they are working with less than half that, and they are one of the highest. Yikes.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If you think about all the costs of owning a hockey team the profit margin is actually very slim I’d imagine. You gotta like hockey because it’s not a great business. Most businesses carry a 30% margin at minimum. I’d bet they are working with less than half that, and they are one of the highest. Yikes.

Red Wings were 24,6%. So not anywhere near that bad.

31M profit of 157M Revenue.

The Business Of Hockey

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I have to think the real value is as some sort of tax and banking assets. Something to help a larger entity (like Ilitch Holdings) move money around and massage their numbers a bit, something to borrow against, etc. And bragging rights, at least for the old man.

Reactions: avssuc

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I have to think the real value is as some sort of tax and banking assets. Something to help a larger entity (like Ilitch Holdings) move money around and massage their numbers a bit, something to borrow against, etc. And bragging rights, at least for the old man.

this is more situational there's also other stuff to this whole sports team thing like how a lot of these owners get access to some of the money from other events like concerts etc that take place in the arenas

and there's something to be said for less direct things like owning other businesses near the arenas to take advantage of the draw the team brings etc

Reactions: Winger98

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Yeah I’m less knowledgeable in those aspects of business. That’s big business stuff lol

Reactions: Winger98

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
NHL Team Values 2020: Hockey’s First Decline In Two Decades

There it is.

Only 5 teams made a better result.

+31M no matter what happens on the ice.

Does Chris Ilitch need to be scared about losing money? Doesn't look like that. :laugh:
They played 85% of the season with arena attendance. The issue for this season is that they will be playing without any gate receipts since there will be no fans in attendance. They can't charge for season tickets either....

So how much do they make off of arena attendance? This article says $60M
Detroit Red Wings on the Forbes The Business of Hockey List

All things being equal, and having around $10M less in actual salary, they stand to lose about $20M this season or more depending on how the TV contracts (national and local) are worded.

Chris isn't in the business to lose money. That being said, it looks like he'll recover his losses as soon as arenas open up again.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
How far were we from the salary cap when this 31mil was calculated? Just curious if we were a competitive tram that capped out 31mil goes fast.
$31M for the season.... and they didn't even play all of the games.

The team started the season at $77M salary including Z's $6M LTIR which was probably covered by insurance, if not then it was $1M actual salary.

So playing a full season at max cap of actual salary, they'd still be making about the same amount. More revenue if they make the playoffs though.

That is why I said Chris will spend when they open up the arenas. There's no reason not to spend, whereas if they keep sucking, people will stop buying season tickets. Most of them are owned by corporations that use it for their clients.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
They really need to move that team to Quebec. The NHL doesn;t need 2 teams in teh desert.

Winnipeg isn't exactly doing much better on this list

and Quebec City has an even smaller population and much more nearby competition for fans

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
They played 85% of the season with arena attendance. The issue for this season is that they will be playing without any gate receipts since there will be no fans in attendance. They can't charge for season tickets either....

So how much do they make off of arena attendance? This article says $60M
Detroit Red Wings on the Forbes The Business of Hockey List

All things being equal, and having around $10M less in actual salary, they stand to lose about $20M this season or more depending on how the TV contracts (national and local) are worded.

Chris isn't in the business to lose money. That being said, it looks like he'll recover his losses as soon as arenas open up again.

This year would be a tax write off year for illitch holdings/little caesar's.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Is there a list somewhere of which teams own their arenas or are paying very little for its usage?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

It's the asset itself that is valuable though in a lot of ways. As inflation keeps driving the team worth up. It is a novelty purchase anyway in a lot of ways, you can make money off of it for sure, but it is kind of like investing in art. It continues to gain value over time in a lot of cases, it doesn't necessarily increase your bottom line day to day but you can borrow against it or leverage it. While the margins might not look great.

In 1982 the Ilitch family bought the Detroit Red Wings for 8.5 million dollars. In under 40 years they have a valuation of $775 million dollars. That is a crazy good investment. Now you have to sell it to cash it in, but that is a part of this picture and probably the bigger one for the business people going into sports ownership.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This year would be a tax write off year for illitch holdings/little caesar's.
It's not really a tax write off so much as just a reduction of overall profits since they are owned by the same holding company.

I can see his viewpoint.... no arena attendance, he stands to lose $20M or more, why bother spending another $10M to the cap limit when the team is gonna suck this season anyways.

I will be disappointed if he doesn't start spending when the arena open up again, especially considering that the defense will be much improved with Seider, Hronek, Lindstrom, Power, and possibly Johansson playing back there. The team should be playoff level by 22-23 season with the addition of a center, who probably will have to be bought in UFA or traded for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad