News Article: Red Wings did make 31M profit with the worst season in their hockey history

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Reminds me of that gem from Patrick Ewing (as president of the NBA Players Association):

quote-we-might-make-a-lot-of-money-but-we-also-spend-a-lot-of-money-patrick-ewing-56-15-66.jpg

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I posted that same article & the one following it in the Business of Hockey forum this afternoon...

#8. Detroit Red Wings

• Value: $775 million
• One-Year Change: –3%
• Owner: Marian Ilitch
• Operating Income: $31.2 million

Was also surprised to see TBL ranked #21 & a $470M valuation.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I posted that same article & the one following it in the Business of Hockey forum this afternoon...

#8. Detroit Red Wings

• Value: $775 million
• One-Year Change: –3%
• Owner: Marian Ilitch
• Operating Income: $31.2 million

Was also surprised to see TBL ranked #21 & a $470M valuation.
Just move them already to Quebec City...

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
this is why I don't get the abby buyout, it wasn't going to even dent their overall finances. Aside form that quite minor gripe that is crazy amazing for the state of the franchise.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
this is why I don't get the abby buyout, it wasn't going to even dent their overall finances. Aside form that quite minor gripe that is crazy amazing for the state of the franchise.

Abdelkader was completely worthless as a hockey player. That's why they bought him out. It was floated that it was a completely financially driven move, but I think it's just that they didn't want to give 14M+ in real money to a completely dogshit player anymore. They'd rather pay $14M total, with 2/3rds of that money going to Abby and 1/3rd or less going to a player who will actually provide value. Too much was made of it being a penny-pinching move. I really think it was more of a reallocation of resources than anything else. And strictly speaking, it's going to end up being about a million in dead money for a couple more years so they can have an actually workable 4th line winger instead of the corpse of Justin Abdelkader.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I really think that was more of a message than anything else. We'll treat you good, we'll try to sign players to good contracts that make sense for both parties, but we'll also have certain expectations. If you don't meet those expectations, we reserve the right to do what we can to remedy that. I think that most players can appreciate that.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Justin Abdelkader is the heart and soul of the Red Wings. We probably made 15 of that 31 million just from him alone! We will miss him now that he is no longer a Red Wing.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just move them already to Quebec City...

QC isn't probably even in the top 5 discussion on expansion or relocation with the owners. Until they want that market it isn't going to happen no matter how much the Canadian media trumpets it. Especially if Montreal remains a no behind closed doors when they actually have a vote on these things.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think that was mainly for a roster spot to open up.

I think it was a little bit of both. Abby was terrible like bottom 10 player in the NHL last year. Cutting him saved money and opened up a spot. I think this plays into culture and expectations too.

Wings just need to be better before all those corp lower bowl contracts are up, and their next FSD contract is up. I'd be curious to see how ratings have done year over year for the past few years.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
QC isn't probably even in the top 5 discussion on expansion or relocation with the owners. Until they want that market it isn't going to happen no matter how much the Canadian media trumpets it. Especially if Montreal remains a no behind closed doors when they actually have a vote on these things.
Yeah - my comment was made 'tongue in cheek'.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Draft some stud defenseman in 2021 and sign some good center and goalie. Suddenly we are playoff team again.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
How far were we from the salary cap when this 31mil was calculated? Just curious if we were a competitive tram that capped out 31mil goes fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad