Post-Game Talk: Red Wings 5 Penguins 4|The ____ Hits the Fan

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Remember guys, we don't need anyone who can do this. The price was simply too high...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjrlN5L7oek

I was one of the few who wanted this guy here the past few years, even this season a majority of this board did not want Hemsky in a Pens jersey. **** i would love to see him and Crosby dominate with Kunitz....maybe July 1?don't think Sens will make playoffs.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
It was all belt-tightening last year. Cap went down. Free agents departed. Not much to build on for a new coach.

Shero has responded to Gonchar's meltdowns with Martin and Michalek, Fleury's meltdowns with Vokoun, built incredible depth in 2013, hired Jacques Martin this year, brought back a stay-at-home guy (Scuderi... decent at the time).

I don't think Shero's sleeping on this team.

All the wrong conclusions unfortunately.

ObsessedCreative*

Not sleeping on it, no, but I think he's pushing the wrong buttons, honestly.

Go back to the Montreal series. I'm pretty damn sure he made the wrong decisions/conclusions following that loss and it's been downhill since

The only wrong button Shero has pushed really IMHO is believing is and backing Dan Bylsma for all these wasted years, and THAT hugely stupid decision is really making me LOATHE him for the first time even in his years here.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
It was all belt-tightening last year. Cap went down. Free agents departed. Not much to build on for a new coach.

Shero has responded to Gonchar's meltdowns with Martin and Michalek, Fleury's meltdowns with Vokoun, built incredible depth in 2013, hired Jacques Martin this year, brought back a stay-at-home guy (Scuderi... decent at the time).

I don't think Shero's sleeping on this team.

Some very good points, actually...

...I guess a case could be made that he was simply giving DB one more shot to "grow" as a coach, and see if he improves on some of his flaws/weaknesses, before going in a different direction.

Let's hope you are indeed correct with your hunch.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Some very good points, actually...

...I guess a case could be made that he was simply giving DB one more shot to "grow" as a coach, and see if he improves on some of his flaws/weaknesses, before going in a different direction.

Let's hope you are indeed correct with your hunch.

You "grow" and "learn" on your way to the NHL. If he still needs to do those things, I'd much rather he try it with a different team.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
Not saying he will develop of even turn out to be half the player St. Louis is but they all said t same exact thing about him.

I think the only real thing holding him back is Dan Bylsma.

Gibbons will need to become really dedicated to working out and bulking up if he wants to have a MSL'esque career. Right now Gibbons seems too small, not only in terms of height, but in size... as if one hard hit will send him flying.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
You "grow" and "learn" on your way to the NHL. If he still needs to do those things, I'd much rather he try it with a different team.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree with you. I wasn't saying that I was wanting to give him time to grow and learn; I was saying that perhaps that was RS's thinking when re-signing him...

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Gibbons will need to become really dedicated to working out and bulking up if he wants to have a MSL'esque career. Right now Gibbons seems too small, not only in terms of height, but in size... as if one hard hit will send him flying.

Agreed...he's 10 pounds lighter than MSL -- which may be part of why it seems like he gets knocked around so easily. Still, while I was of the impression that he's too small and not worth much to the team early on, he is growing on me...I think he's doing some good things out there.

And, plus, along with the good things I have seen from him, I do NOT recall myself saying "Gibbons, you IDIOT" at all, which is WAY MORE than I can say for a few of our other bottom 6-ers who shall remain nameless...

ObsessedCreative*

Come on no one is saying it could or would happen over night, he'll it didn't happen right away with MSL, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Even if it is not the most likely thing to happen, but he does have the hands, sense, and speed to make that leap. Time will tell if the drive and dedication is there.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I fully agree with you. I wasn't saying that I was wanting to give him time to grow and learn; I was saying that perhaps that was RS's thinking when re-signing him...

I know, but even if that's the case, Shero should be fired on the spot. You do that with teams like Columbus or Florida, not a team that's supposed to be a championship contender every season. All they're accomplishing by letting Bylsma hang around is they're slowly shutting the window of the Malkin/Crosby era, and that pisses me off.

What's scary, too, is Shero comes from Nashville where they do not change coaches whatsoever. I definitely think he's brought aspects of the Nashville team here with him, for better or worse.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
The people that think they are getting swept in the first round are even dumber than the people that think they will lose in the first round.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
The people that think they are getting swept in the first round are even dumber than the people that think they will lose in the first round.

If they draw Philly first round, I'm sorry, but I'd bet Philly wins the series. My hope is somehow it ends up being Boston vs Philly in the first round and the Pens getting an easy draw.

I also, deep down, do kind of hope they get trounced in the first round and there are significant changes made to the team from top to bottom, and I am not afraid to admit it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If they draw Philly first round, I'm sorry, but I'd bet Philly wins the series. My hope is somehow it ends up being Boston vs Philly in the first round and the Pens getting an easy draw.

I also, deep down, do kind of hope they get trounced in the first round and there are significant changes made to the team from top to bottom, and I am not afraid to admit it.

You think?

I think any coach in this league can out coach Bylsma, which is what it all boils down to.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Remember guys, we don't need anyone who can do this. The price was simply too high...

Honestly, I just don't get it. It's not like Hemsky cost a lot. The Pens just went for "depth" rather than going for a guy who could have been the third most creative forward on the Pens after Sid and Geno.

It's like any time there is a skill option available, they opt for the bottom six grinder instead.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

I doubt Philly will be a wild card.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Honestly, I just don't get it. It's not like Hemsky cost a lot. The Pens just went for "depth" rather than going for a guy who could have been the third most creative forward on the Pens after Sid and Geno.

It's like any time there is a skill option available, they opt for the bottom six grinder instead.

Well according to DB they are a grinding team...:dunno:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Hemsky wouldn't fix what's wrong with this team. He wouldn't prevent Malkin from making dumb drop passes or Neal from taking retaliatory penalties in the offensive zone or Scuderi from putting pucks in his own net or Orpik from being an abomination or DB from demoting Megna in favour of Glass or Adams.

We missed Hemsky. We got 2 players who have played very well for us instead.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Maybe they should just go "all in" and get rid of any player with top end skill who doesn't play like a grinder. Trade Malkin to the Blues for Backes, Neal to the Lightning for the rights to Callahan, Jokinen to whoever the hell currently employs Darrel Powe. :shakehead

Honestly, it's ridiculous how this team refuses to add more skill to their forward ranks when that skill doesn't necessarily have a "grind these *****es down" style of play. The only "skill" guys they seem to be interested in are the Keslers, the Callahans, etc. Guys who can play like skilled grinders.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Of course he has faith in Bylsma. A lot of it is justified. The writing will be on the wall this year. My hunch is he'll see more of an opportunity to move in a new direction with this offseason compared to last.

I agree with what Madden said today. He'd can Bylsma and bring in Laviolette as the HC and Tocchet as an assistant.

I know Tocchet still has a house here in Nevillewood

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

How does he look at this team and see a grinding team? Seriously, how does he do that? They're skilled, they could be fast but they're not going grind a team into submission. Just let them be a skilled team, get rid of the slow scrubs and set them loose. I love how a softball question where he was probably supposed to say that with the likes of Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang, most of the defense that of course they're a skilled team and out comes they want to grind. :laugh:

Mother ****ing Christ, he's trying to mold the team in his image.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad