Post-Game Talk: Red Wings 5, Penguins 2 - REMAIN CALM, ALL IS WELL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Game was over. I'd have done the same thing in a meaningless game in February.

Zetterberg is a very subtle, sneaky little troll,and the replay showed him hooking and riding Hags for a good ten seconds.

One of my favorite non Pens moment of recent years was Zetterberg being a troll on a draw, and Jamie Benn punching him right in the mouth.

Zetterberg is an underrated dirty player. I remember when everyone was freaking out about that time Crosby kept cross checking him after a faceoff but no one would acknowledge the fact that he speared Crosby in the groin at the faceoff dot

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
This roster really can't "ratchet things up" like JR wants to see without having the speed advantage.
Sheary, Rust and Schultz out and you're gonna be scratching and clawing for pts.
Also sans #4 on the PP. Again, a' scratchin' and a clawin'.

Dumb to send Archy back down when he can help maintain some of your identity in the bottom 6.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I feel like the Penguins need to move MAF at this point to just make the team wake the hell up. I don't know how much it has impacted other players, but I can't imagine a former core guy and one of the old faces of the franchise just hanging in limbo is helping anymore mentally.

And this is exactly why JR ****ed up royally by not moving him before the season began.

Keeping Kunitz and not trading Fleury are, IMO, JR's two biggest off-season blunders. The good thing is both can be rectified by the deadline, although only one is likely.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
A lot of hysterical overreactions in this thread.

They got worked last time they played Detroit, and it's simply because they're faster than the current effort/ability level of this team, which cancels out the only advantage we had over every other team, which is what won the Cup in the first place.

The reactions I'm reading are confusing at best, I'm assuming it stems from a lot of the opinions that the problems with the team have been due to roster mismanagement, regression in individual performances, etc., problems that "should" be easily fixed if only the coaches listened to HF Pens, like usual.

For instance the obsession with Hornqvist not playing on the first line was never the real problem with the team, at least if you define problem as the difference between being capable of repeating or not. Sure it might solve one of the issues plaguing the team, but it was never the level of problem comparative to how much attention it garnered in discussion here. The difference between the play of the Cup team and this season's version has always been that the team, whether through lack of effort or lack of ability hasn't played with the necessary speed to make the system work, offensively and most especially defensively.

There's some moves JR can make to boost the depth of the team in case of injuries in the playoffs, maybe he'll somehow land a Duchene and ship out Fleury, but in the end there only so much that can be attributable to the names on the depth chart.

Thus there's nothing really to get worked up about. It's very simple, they either get back to the same team speed as last year's run (they'll need to get healthy but the whole team will need to give more effort as well), which they then will have a chance of repeating with, or they don't, and they won't.

The best advice is just to calm down and try to enjoy the ride.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
****** lines continue and we muster a single ES goal against a non-playoff team.

Must be some kind of crazy coincidence. Go Sully Go!

:ghost2:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

They got worked last time they played Detroit, and it's simply because they're faster than the current effort/ability level of this team, which cancels out the only advantage we had over every other team, which is what won the Cup in the first place.

The reactions I'm reading are confusing at best, I'm assuming it stems from a lot of the opinions that the problems with the team have been due to roster mismanagement, regression in individual performances, etc., problems that "should" be easily fixed if only the coaches listened to HF Pens, like usual.

For instance the obsession with Hornqvist not playing on the first line was never the real problem with the team, at least if you define problem as the difference between being capable of repeating or not. Sure it might solve one of the issues plaguing the team, but it was never the level of problem comparative to how much attention it garnered in discussion here. The difference between the play of the Cup team and this season's version has always been that the team, whether through lack of effort or lack of ability hasn't played with the necessary speed to make the system work, offensively and most especially defensively.

There's some moves JR can make to boost the depth of the team in case of injuries in the playoffs, maybe he'll somehow land a Duchene and ship out Fleury, but in the end there only so much that can be attributable to the names on the depth chart.

Thus there's nothing really to get worked up about. It's very simple, they either get back to the same team speed as last year's run (they'll need to get healthy but the whole team will need to give more effort as well), which they then will have a chance of repeating with, or they don't, and they won't.

This little trend going around HFPens is starting to **** me off. If you feel that way, make a case why people shouldn't be upset about this game. Debate it, have good dialog, and bring something to the table. If you hate every single comment in this thread, don't post.

People shouldn't "calm down" because you are okay with it. :laugh: Remember...the context of the negative comments are in regards to this particular game. And they've played many games like this before. IMO, there is a legit concern about #58 as of late. There is a legit concern on our defensive zone. There is a legit concern over the compete level. They should be discussed and why not? We are on a message board to discuss hockey. Why shouldn't we?

The main thing to realize is that these are concerns. No, the entire world isn't ending. No, the Pens are not going to lose a playoff spot. Yes, we will remain real threats to win the Cup. But this whole "Woah woah woah.. calm down people! Enjoy the ride" comment is just ********. If you hate the discussion, simply ignore the thread.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I guess this is supposed to be read as sarcasm. The only problem is that HF Pens' track record regarding misused roster anchors bringing the team down is at something like 100%.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I rambled in the other thread, but these are the big issues from the stats. Our shooting% is hiding some major issues at even strength. Our D aren't good possession-wise at even strength, a lot of that is our 2nd and 3rd pairings. This is exactly where Bonino started to turn it on, he and Hagelin scored ~20 points each in the remainder of the season, so yeah, the clock starts ticking on that now. Sheary-Sid-Horny caved in the opposition at even strength from now, we need someone-Sid-Horny going.

I think #1 issue is our D-depth. We need a functional second pairing that can move the puck. If we can get the puck going forward consistently (whether that's through acquisition or tearing of new holes in old *****) and Bonino can get his head out of his ass we can still do well from here.

Our forward corps is better than last year, but unless our D get their **** together, they won't have the puck often enough to do anything with it.

(Our PP was actually worse last year from this point on, our PK was 85%.)

No mention of our top pairing who have BY FAR been the worst of the 3 at 5v5? This isn't even opinion related stuff, guys. Do your homework.
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ense&minutes=500&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Dumo is our worst D by a mile, and Letang hasn't been much better either. Then Maatta makes a couple mistakes and he's the whipping boy on D forever. The stellar play of Schultz has masked the mediocre play of many on this team.

Our coach is (well spoken), but full on moron and I have zero hope that he was anything but super lucky to win a cup. He certainty isn't analytical or results driven by his lines anymore. This is what we should expect from him. The only thing he can hang his hat on is finally deciding that MAF is not this team's starting goaltender.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I dont think today is that big of a deal but... The Wings Caps and teams that play puck heavy and keep pucks really give the Pens fits. There has to be a counter at some point.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

Rust and Sheary are a big part of the speed game. Up until two days ago, Hagelin was out as well. Hard to push the issue with 3 of your fastest guys out of the lineup. Missing a third of your D corps does them no favors either, especially a guy like Schultz who is integral to what the staff wants from the back end. It's always fascinating how dismissive people are of injuries.

The team hasn't been healthy all year, with vital players out at various times, and the team is averaging about 2.5 regulation losses a month. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Fact is when they've ratcheted things up this year, the team has has been dominant. While I agree with KIRK that something doesn't feel quite right this year, I can attribute it to the fact that you simply can't manufacture desperation, or go balls to the wall during the dog days because fans might get mad online.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I dont think today is that big of a deal but... The Wings Caps and teams that play puck heavy and keep pucks really give the Pens fits. There has to be a counter at some point.

They need speed on d. Daley doesn't skate like he did before he hurt his ankle and Olli is Olli. Getting back Schultz will help but it would be nice if JR could find a smooth skating defenseman at the deadline.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
No mention of our top pairing who have BY FAR been the worst of the 3 at 5v5? This isn't even opinion related stuff, guys. Do your homework.
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ense&minutes=500&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Dumo is our worst D by a mile, and Letang hasn't been much better either. Then Maatta makes a couple mistakes and he's the whipping boy on D forever. The stellar play of Schultz has masked the mediocre play of many on this team.

Our coach is (well spoken), but full on moron and I have zero hope that he was anything but super lucky to win a cup. He certainty isn't analytical or results driven by his lines anymore. This is what we should expect from him. The only thing he can hang his hat on is finally deciding that MAF is not this team's starting goaltender.

Good news is theres flexibility with the roster going into this summer and into next season. ala Daley's a UFA we can simply let walk. Bones and Kunitz too.
No question that 58 and 8 have to be studly for this team to go anywhere in the playoffs.
But they've proven they can do it though. Thats the good news. Theres a reason repeats in the NHL is almost unheard of. It's a long, grueling season.

Last edited:

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
This little trend going around HFPens is starting to **** me off. If you feel that way, make a case why people shouldn't be upset about this game. Debate it, have good dialog, and bring something to the table. If you hate every single comment in this thread, don't post.

People shouldn't "calm down" because you are okay with it. :laugh: Remember...the context of the negative comments are in regards to this particular game. And they've played many games like this before. IMO, there is a legit concern about #58 as of late. There is a legit concern on our defensive zone. There is a legit concern over the compete level. They should be discussed and why not? We are on a message board to discuss hockey. Why shouldn't we?

The main thing to realize is that these are concerns. No, the entire world isn't ending. No, the Pens are not going to lose a playoff spot. Yes, we will remain real threats to win the Cup. But this whole "Woah woah woah.. calm down people! Enjoy the ride" comment is just ********. If you hate the discussion, simply ignore the thread.

I understand you're angry over the loss as you stated earlier in the thread, so I understand the vitriol. But I didn't say there shouldn't be discussion, only that what was present was not very logical.

This game won't be the difference in them repeating or not, hell the loss might help them fall back into the wild card if anything. The only aspects of the team that matter, or at least will make the difference in winning the Cup again or not, are they need to get healthy and faster as a team, without those two factors there's likely nothing this roster can do to get significantly better even if Sully put the desired line combinations together or JR pulled a rabbit out of his hat, so why fret over it?

The defense was never a traditional Cup worthy defense, the speed of the team in front of them undeniably covered for them, without it they're simply not a good defensive hockey team, so what exactly are you expecting without their speediest players or when those they still have are not giving the effort required (probably to save for the playoffs) to make the system work?

Doesn't seem worthwhile to get too worked up over since without said speed there's not much left they can do of any significance.

I guess this is supposed to be read as sarcasm. The only problem is that HF Pens' track record regarding misused roster anchors bringing the team down is at something like 100%.

Yes sarcasm. It's true the team would be undeniably better without Kunitz playing a crucial role, or players being played out of place in general. That had they traded Fleury in the offseason and made roster changes to keep from becoming complacent they'd be better off to whatever degree, etc. But that's not why they won't repeat should they not do so, that's the point. Kunitz isn't holding the whole team back from skating faster. And since that's what will be the difference, while I can understand the anger over an unquestionably idiotic decision, I disagree with the attention it receives, he's simply not that important, and won't be once Sheary returns.

Rust and Sheary are a big part of the speed game. Up until two days ago, Hagelin was out as well. Hard to push the issue with 3 of your fastest guys out of the lineup. Missing a third of your D corps does them no favors either, especially a guy like Schultz who is integral to what the staff wants from the back end. It's always fascinating how dismissive people are of injuries.

The team hasn't been healthy all year, with vital players out at various times, and the team is averaging about 2.5 regulation losses a month. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Fact is when they've ratcheted things up this year, the team has has been dominant. While I agree with KIRK that something doesn't feel quite right this year, I can attribute it to the fact that you simply can't manufacture desperation, or go balls to the wall during the dog days because fans might get mad online.

I agree. They need to get healthy if they have any hope of regaining their speed identity back, and they need to give more effort to even hope to do so. Without it they've already lost, so what judgements can you truly make of the team until those two question marks are resolved?

There are obviously roster improvements that could be made, but I argue you can't accuse the players of being too complacent, that they need another youth infusion, etc. until they reach the point where they either regain their identity or they go home packing.

As others have stated, the team was never going to be capable of playing how they played last year for the whole season, people knew this going into it. Why some are surprised they're struggling without the biggest advantage they had on their route to that championship is what I'm struggling understanding.

It's like people are upset just for the sake of being so, even when they already know the solution to the problem. The only question is whether or not the team is capable of solving it, which we won't know likely until the playoffs actual start.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yes sarcasm. It's true the team would be undeniably better without Kunitz playing a crucial role, or players being played out of place in general. That had they traded Fleury in the offseason and made roster changes to keep from becoming complacent they'd be better off to whatever degree, etc. But that's not why they won't repeat should they not do so, that's the point. Kunitz isn't holding the whole team back from skating faster. And since that's what will be the difference, while I can understand the anger over an unquestionably idiotic decision, I disagree with the attention it receives, he's simply not that important, and won't be once Sheary returns.

Injuries are obviously an issue, but there's nothing that can be done about injuries except wait for them to heal. I'm concerned with unforced errors that don't give our team the best chance to win.

Kunitz on L1 makes the team worse now.
Hornqvist not on L1 makes the team worse now.
Kessel with Bonino makes the team worse now.

We're giving away points in a playoff race when we continue making these mistakes.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I understand you're angry over the loss as you stated earlier in the thread, so I understand the vitriol. But I didn't say there shouldn't be discussion, only that what was present was not very logical.

This game won't be the difference in them repeating or not, hell the loss might help them fall back into the wild card if anything. The only aspects of the team that matter, or at least will make the difference in winning the Cup again or not, are they need to get healthy and faster as a team, without those two factors there's likely nothing this roster can do to get significantly better even if Sully put the desired line combinations together or JR pulled a rabbit out of his hat, so why fret over it?

The defense was never a traditional Cup worthy defense, the speed of the team in front of them undeniably covered for them, without it they're simply not a good defensive hockey team, so what exactly are you expecting without their speediest players or when those they still have are not giving the effort required (probably to save for the playoffs) to make the system work?

Doesn't seem worthwhile to get too worked up over since without said speed there's not much left they can do of any significance.

I agree. They need to get healthy if they have any hope of regaining their speed identity back, and they need to give more effort to even hope to do so. Without it they've already lost, so what judgements can you truly make of the team until those two question marks are resolved?

There are obviously roster improvements that could be made, but I argue you can't accuse the players of being too complacent, that they need another youth infusion, etc. until they reach the point where they either regain their identity or they go home packing.

As others have stated, the team was never going to be capable of playing how they played last year for the whole season, people knew this going into it. Why some are surprised they're struggling without the biggest advantage they had on their route to that championship is what I'm struggling understanding.

It's like people are upset just for the sake of being so, even when they already know the solution to the problem. The only question is whether or not the team is capable of solving it, which we won't know likely until the playoffs actual start.

It's readily available on YouTube, so I invite people to watch the 3rd period of game 7 vs. Tampa.

Watch the speed they played with, which was how they played the entire run, and ask yourself if you think it's reasonable to expect that every game during the regular season.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Niskanen is nowhere close to the player Letang is.

Letang on his best days is a superstar. A transformatively good player. Top5 in the league in his (crucial) position. Niskanen is not that. On MOST days however, Niskanen IMO is a better and more reliable player, and has been since his last season with us.

Ship has sailed and all, but consider us having extended Nisky long term rather than having him leave for nothing, and the haul we would have gotten trading Letang.... yes, that would have been better for this team.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
When Letang's on, he's simply elite at gaining possession vs top lines and turning pucks up ice/joining the rush. Thats what you pay him for.
Someone else should fully run PP1 though. He's fine for PP2.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
It's readily available on YouTube, so I invite people to watch the 3rd period of game 7 vs. Tampa.

Watch the speed they played with, which was how they played the entire run, and ask yourself if you think it's reasonable to expect that every game during the regular season.

I reasonably expect this roster to **** on Detroit. They don't have to play the game like its the post-season, but this performance is way beyond underachieving. I get they have injuries and are missing some key players, but when you have Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, Hornqvist, Murray all healthy in your line-up, you gotta do better than that. :shakehead

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Letang on his best days is a superstar. A transformatively good player. Top5 in the league in his (crucial) position. Niskanen is not that. On MOST days however, Niskanen IMO is a better and more reliable player, and has been since his last season with us.

Ship has sailed and all, but consider us having extended Nisky long term rather than having him leave for nothing, and the haul we would have gotten trading Letang.... yes, that would have been better for this team.

Niskanen has done absolutely NOTHING in the playoffs. He is consistently abused as he was in the Rangers series.

Letang was a Conn Symthe candidate last year and has never been anything but fantastic in the playoffs.

Sorry, he had a bad game. He's a top ten defenseman in the league. Niskanen is not and never will be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Injuries are obviously an issue, but there's nothing that can be done about injuries except wait for them to heal. I'm concerned with unforced errors that don't give our team the best chance to win.

Kunitz on L1 makes the team worse now.
Hornqvist not on L1 makes the team worse now.
Kessel with Bonino makes the team worse now.

We're giving away points in a playoff race when we continue making these mistakes.

You're right, despite my point and belief that the only real factor that will determine if the team repeats or not is team speed, there are undeniable changes to the team that could allow them to win more regular season games than they are.

I must admit though my judgement is colored by desiring them falling back into the wild card rather than run the metro gauntlet, so I can't get myself to be all that upset over regular season losses.

Otherwise I agree with the sentiment they could be doing better, but they have bigger fish to fry.

I agree with MtlPenFan again here. As was said that level of play is unsustainable over a full season, and without it the roster deficiencies that were still present when they won last year are exposed and the system breaks down. I can't logically get angry over struggles I knew would occur without said speed being present.

The yet to be proven factor is of course whether they're simply holding back until it matters, or they plain aren't able to pick it back up and get faster. Flipping a switch is a cliche at this point, but they better be able to soon.

Personally I'll wait til they're fully healthy to make a real judgement, by then it'll be close enough to the playoffs that they should feel it necessary to start giving full effort. Hopefully the intentionally slacking belief is proven correct, else they're not going very far.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't disagree with the idea that we should wait for the team to be fully healthy before we really start to worry, but at the same time no team is above improvement. If we can improve at the deadline, healthy or not, we should absolutely strive to do so.

Standing pat and being complacent is exactly what Shero/Bylsma did for years, and it's what killed this team for half a decade. JR needs to constantly be on the lookout for ways to improve this team.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Welp. It was only a matter of time until the idiocy regarding Letang came back.

Niskanen has done absolutely NOTHING in the playoffs. He is consistently abused as he was in the Rangers series.

Letang was a Conn Symthe candidate last year and has never been anything but fantastic in the playoffs.

Sorry, he had a bad game. He's a top ten defenseman in the league. Niskanen is not and never will be.

Niskanen played very well against us in the playoffs last year, and had several seasons where he was by no means a problem. As a Penguin he did not however have anywhere near the tickets Letang did, nor comparable D-partners, but not unlike Schultz now he stepped up big time for us when Letang was inevitably out for periods. Why? Most obviously because when Letang isn't there someone else gets to see heavy minutes with Sid/Geno and the PP, and points follow. 13/14 was an example of just that, just like it has been for Schultz this year.

Like I said, since his last season with us and until now on Washington, I think Niskanen has been the more dependably good player of the two in most likely the bigger number of games, despite the fact that when Letang is really good, he is great at at a level Niskanen doesn't touch. No disagreement there.
That's a little bit like saying, without otherwise comparing the situations, that Bergeron likely has more dependably good games than Geno, which I think is probably true. Doesn't mean Geno isn't the superior player. Letang is likely also the superior player compared to Nisky.

The point I was making was one of asset management where I think it is very likely that we would have been better dealing Letang for a major price and retaining Niskanen, all else being equal. More so with the current coach, because that system suits Nisky's ability to a tee also. That is after the fact of course, but I DID say the same back then and have been arguing similar points about Letang since forever. In the threads below for instance:

July 2013: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=67138307&postcount=460

December 2013 http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=76382843&postcount=348

Hence, I am NOT saying that Niskanen is a better player than Letang. I said that in most games he likely will be, with it being understood that on some occasions Letang will be ahead by a lot, because he can hit an entirely different level.
We are just often left to rue that he is spectacularly far from what he could be; to the point of him singlehandedly destroying our PP while making inexplicably gaffes costing goals.

As for the notion that Letang has been great in the playoffs with any kind of regularity.... hahahaha. He has loaded up points wise often enough when we blew through hapless teams and he has been one of our main culprits often enough when falling apart. True to his Jekyll-Hyde nature.
Last playoff run was BY FAR his best ever, even as it included two text book moronic games. We all hoped it was sign of progress.... and then came this season.
The idea that Letang is a top defender in this league has been on this board and in the media (particularly Burgh media) for years, and while points wise that IS true, more than anything it is a reflection of the major minutes he gets with great players and on the PP that is consistently high scoring despite his obstructionism and how much of a high scoring team we are and have been in general.

Letang is quite frankly the D-version of Fleury :popcorn::laugh: .

Having his points inflated by the team like Fleury has gotten wins. Doesn't change that when he (and they) are great, they really are great. But you cannot depend upon that being so and you never could. Letang obviously being better than Fleury, but just the same.

Letang might end up top10 in points on D this season despite missing games again, but his plus/minus and advanced stats do not lie when indicating that we concede an enormous amount of goals with him on the ice also, and the eye test makes plain that he is very much a factor in that himself because of his dime's worth of brains to go with the studly athleticism.

As it is, we no longer have a pipeline on D where one can imagine replacing Letang from within for the majority. Back then with Nisky, Maatta, Despres and Dumoulin/Pouliot some time out, it was not at all out of the question.
Letang is one of the X-factors for our team for sure, because if he does hit his high notes come playoff time, he is a massive point of strength for us. We surely need him to be that guy to have a chance at winning. Suppose we just have to hope lightning strikes again for him like last season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad