Post-Game Talk: Red Wings 5, Penguins 2 - REMAIN CALM, ALL IS WELL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Niskanen played very well against us in the playoffs last year, and had several seasons where he was by no means a problem. As a Penguin he did not however have anywhere near the tickets Letang did, nor comparable D-partners, but not unlike Schultz now he stepped up big time for us when Letang was inevitably out for periods. Why? Most obviously because when Letang isn't there someone else gets to see heavy minutes with Sid/Geno and the PP, and points follow. 13/14 was an example of just that, just like it has been for Schultz this year.

Like I said, since his last season with us and until now on Washington, I think Niskanen has been the more dependably good player of the two in most likely the bigger number of games, despite the fact that when Letang is really good, he is great at at a level Niskanen doesn't touch. No disagreement there.
That's a little bit like saying, without otherwise comparing the situations, that Bergeron likely has more dependably good games than Geno, which I think is probably true. Doesn't mean Geno isn't the superior player. Letang is likely also the superior player compared to Nisky.

The point I was making was one of asset management where I think it is very likely that we would have been better dealing Letang for a major price and retaining Niskanen, all else being equal. More so with the current coach, because that system suits Nisky's ability to a tee also. That is after the fact of course, but I DID say the same back then and have been arguing similar points about Letang since forever. In the threads below for instance:

July 2013: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=67138307&postcount=460

December 2013 http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=76382843&postcount=348

Hence, I am NOT saying that Niskanen is a better player than Letang. I said that in most games he likely will be, with it being understood that on some occasions Letang will be ahead by a lot, because he can hit an entirely different level.
We are just often left to rue that he is spectacularly far from what he could be; to the point of him singlehandedly destroying our PP while making inexplicably gaffes costing goals.

As for the notion that Letang has been great in the playoffs with any kind of regularity.... hahahaha. He has loaded up points wise often enough when we blew through hapless teams and he has been one of our main culprits often enough when falling apart. True to his Jekyll-Hyde nature.
Last playoff run was BY FAR his best ever, even as it included two text book moronic games. We all hoped it was sign of progress.... and then came this season.
The idea that Letang is a top defender in this league has been on this board and in the media (particularly Burgh media) for years, and while points wise that IS true, more than anything it is a reflection of the major minutes he gets with great players and on the PP that is consistently high scoring despite his obstructionism and how much of a high scoring team we are and have been in general.

Letang is quite frankly the D-version of Fleury :popcorn::laugh: .

Having his points inflated by the team like Fleury has gotten wins. Doesn't change that when he (and they) are great, they really are great. But you cannot depend upon that being so and you never could. Letang obviously being better than Fleury, but just the same.

Letang might end up top10 in points on D this season despite missing games again, but his plus/minus and advanced stats do not lie when indicating that we concede an enormous amount of goals with him on the ice also, and the eye test makes plain that he is very much a factor in that himself because of his dime's worth of brains to go with the studly athleticism.

As it is, we no longer have a pipeline on D where one can imagine replacing Letang from within for the majority. Back then with Nisky, Maatta, Despres and Dumoulin/Pouliot some time out, it was not at all out of the question.
Letang is one of the X-factors for our team for sure, because if he does hit his high notes come playoff time, he is a massive point of strength for us. We surely need him to be that guy to have a chance at winning. Suppose we just have to hope lightning strikes again for him like last season.

I don't even know where to start on this post.

The fact that you compared Letang and Fleury is just insane.

Letang's advanced stats have been insane relatively every year. Our team in general has terrible defensive stats this year thus the guy who is on the ice almost half the game is going to have bad stats.

The fact that you act like Letang has "horrible stats" and think he concedes an enormous amount of goals is kind of like the same argument people were trying to use against Maatta early this year when he was our second best defenseman when it came to advanced stats.

You advocated that trading Letang and signing Niskanen to a monster contract would've put the team in a better spot. That is idiocy. Nisky may be a # 1 in Washington, but is that really a good thing when the Caps haven't been out of the second round in twenty years.

Letang is a high minute defenseman every "accusation" you make against him is a situational thing that occurs with playing high minutes. Letang's playoff numbers have been great since 2013. You're just making accusations that have no real facts or reason behind them.

Then again you are advocating that Letang is at Marc Andre Fleury's level so obviously you're argument can only be based on false claims. Letang even on his worst days is a # 1 defenseman that is most likely in the top 15 defensemen in the league.

I honestly wish sometimes Letang would've been traded in 2012 so people like you could see how tremendous he is as a player. I'm sure he'd be an even better player on some teams because he would've been properly coached years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If Wash finally gets their cup this year, is it OK to say Niskanen is > Letang?

No? Letang has been in the top ten in Norris voting since 2011 outside of the year he had a stroke.

Letang was a Conn Smythe contender in the run to the Cup last year.

Letang amasses points in the league from the blue line like no other player outside of Burns and Karlsson.

Jesus Christ. This forum sometimes. Letang most years is / has been a top five defenseman in the league. He's having a rough patch. Remember like 12 months ago when Sidney Crosby was having the same thing happen to him. This isn't a video game. Performance isn't set in stone it is fluid. It's like last year when he had a bad run of games in the playoffs after his wife had a ****ing miscarriage and people were jumping all over him.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
This team is starting to remind me of the Steelers. Losing to the teams we are expected to beat.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I don't even know where to start on this post.

That's OK. The reward is in the journey. If only you'd begin the process of ending up the right place.

The fact that you compared Letang and Fleury is just insane.

I "compared them" with enough explanatory remarks that only an absolute imbecile could think it was 1 to 1. I imagine in your case it is not that, and rather just an attempt at a cheap point. Silly, but moving on.

Letang's advanced stats have been insane relatively every year.

The above is a funny sentence, but I suppose I get what you mean. He drives possession a great deal, yes, elite leve even. And combining his possession stats and his significant amount of points.... you'd imagine he was a monster.
However the results of that possession in terms of goals for and against, and then the eye test on top.... that almost MAKES you go insane.

Our team in general has terrible defensive stats this year thus the guy who is on the ice almost half the game is going to have bad stats.

Yeah, and Fleury's GAA is logical based on this also. He's not to blame... and Murray gets the easy starts also...

Among our regular 6 D-men it is certainly much more likely that we see Letang do something idiotic on any given shift than any of the others. That is a difference from him having more such situations to look idiotic in. It is because he is DUMB. The fact that he is DUMB is why he will never be truly elite. Probably the same as with Subban, who is even more naturally talented than Letang.

The fact that you act like Letang has "horrible stats" and think he concedes an enormous amount of goals is kind of like the same argument people were trying to use against Maatta early this year when he was our second best defenseman when it came to advanced stats.

Its entirely the opposite argument. Maatta was ragged on by many/most (not me) because he didn't score and had terrible possession numbers. I certainly also see issues with Maatta and the loss of mobility and confidence, yet I rag on Daley more for his often BS D-zone play, and caution that while Maatta looks way below his best, it doesn't seem to hurt us much in terms of goals against. I don't want to see Maatta thrown away too quickly because the kid has tremendous hockey IQ.

NB: Letang DOES concede an enormous amount of goals.

My principal argument against Letang is that he is perceived to be a lot better than he actually is, because of how he looks when at his best. He is style over substance. To give you more grief on the MAF front, we can say that MAF is smile over substance.

You advocated that trading Letang and signing Niskanen to a monster contract would've put the team in a better spot.

I did no such thing. When it was being discussed I talked of a low-ball long term offer for Niskanen BEFORE he had his big year with Letang out. When it was clear that such numbers were unrealistic as the season went on, I was fine with the tought of 4.5-5 (which is even more than it was speculated that Niskanen was asking for). I much doubt the Pens would have had to pay what Washington did if they'd proactively signed Nisky, and that is of course a factor in the argument made.

With a major season and 9 points in 13 playoff games, he of course cashed in as an UFA.
So yes, Nisky at say 5 million vs. Letang at 7.25 million PLUS all the good stuff we could have gotten for Letang (very good forward, top D-prospect, for instance).... I think that would have made us better. But that is easy to say today knowing how well Nisky has actually played. It was certainly a lot more risky then.

That is idiocy. Nisky may be a # 1 in Washington, but is that really a good thing when the Caps haven't been out of the second round in twenty years.

What is truly idiocy is thinking that Washington's D has been worse than ours over the years when Nisky has been on it, or in any way assuming that Letang has generally been a stud in the playoffs. That belongs to the same realm as those MAF fanatics are in, because "loook at that flow!!"

It is Alternative Facts level moronic to talk about Washington's historical record, or the days of care-free Boudreau/Mike Green led ultra offense when they've been rolling with a very, very good and stingy D for all the time Nisky/Trotz have been there. 6th in goals against in his first year, 2nd the next (1 goal behind Anaheim) and currently 1st.

Letang is a high minute defenseman every "accusation" you make against him is a situational thing that occurs with playing high minutes. Letang's playoff numbers have been great since 2013. You're just making accusations that have no real facts or reason behind them.

Nonsense. It is exactly playing huge, hard minutes while being on the ice for more offense for than against that define whether you are great as a D-man or not. More so that you can play situational hockey and be solid when you need to. But that requires smarts, and what sets Letang in an elite group certainly isn't that - it is athleticism.

Then again you are advocating that Letang is at Marc Andre Fleury's level so obviously you're argument can only be based on false claims. Letang even on his worst days is a # 1 defenseman that is most likely in the top 15 defensemen in the league.

I specifically stated that of course Letang is better than Fleury. Specifically. He is a Nr.1 defenseman. His skillset is such. He is likely also the only genuine Nr.1 defenseman in the league who can look like he has no hockey sense whatsoever. Anyway, I think he is somewhere in the 15-20 group (now) myself.
His cap-hit however is not. I think he is 7th now but 3rd after Weber and Suter when he signed. That was the reason for the debate being there back then - that he was never, ever in that echelon.

I honestly wish sometimes Letang would've been traded in 2012 so people like you could see how tremendous he is as a player. I'm sure he'd be an even better player on some teams because he would've been properly coached years ago.

Properly coached? Is that saying that Sullivan is worse than Disco and Johnston? Because he is playing his worst regular season in ages now, and he's had so many moments of utter stupidity lately that it would appear to be the natural conclusion to your argument.

Anyway, like I said, it was back then we had a choice, because we had an entirely different D-group with options. Shero burned us when he didn't trade away anyone, leading to a terrible waste asset management wise.

Today I doubt there is a good scenario in which we can trade Letang. He'd bring a lot back still probably, but it would create a massive hole where we don't have a roster or pipeline to fill it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No? Letang has been in the top ten in Norris voting since 2011 outside of the year he had a stroke.

Letang was a Conn Smythe contender in the run to the Cup last year.

Letang amasses points in the league from the blue line like no other player outside of Burns and Karlsson.

Jesus Christ. This forum sometimes. Letang most years is / has been a top five defenseman in the league. He's having a rough patch. Remember like 12 months ago when Sidney Crosby was having the same thing happen to him. This isn't a video game. Performance isn't set in stone it is fluid. It's like last year when he had a bad run of games in the playoffs after his wife had a ****ing miscarriage and people were jumping all over him.

Agreed. I'm critical of Letang at times, particularly his lack of poise on the PP (and let's be honest Sully notices as he tries to slip Schultz on the top unit at times), but there is some moronic overreaction about Letang on this board. He's a top 5 ES dman, probably top 3 at times.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Niskanen couldn't even carry Letang's jock. Nisky is a solid player, but Letang is on another level.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Niskanen couldn't even carry Letang's jock. Nisky is a solid player, but Letang is on another level.

This. Matt Niskanen at no point has ever been or will be better than Kris Letang.

Anyway, this had all the makings of a massive let down game. Sunday afternoon game in February against a mediocre team with several key guys still out. Some days you just don't have it and yesterday was one of them. I do think a shake-up trade is really needed though. We're not winning the Cup again with Nick Bonino being this awful or our defense collectively being a steaming pile of feces.

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
Agreed. I'm critical of Letang at times, particularly his lack of poise on the PP (and let's be honest Sully notices as he tries to slip Schultz on the top unit at times), but there is some moronic overreaction about Letang on this board. He's a top 5 ES dman, probably top 3 at times.

This. Does Letang have a 10-cent head and is he an awful PP QB? Of course. However, he has been a top 5 D-man in the NHL the last few years. I think the comparison to Nisky is certainly a gross overstatement even if you are looking at it from a production per $ standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad