Salary Cap: Red Wings 2024-25 - next season cap discussion

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There's 6M to be used for some player in the current cap situation.

If it's Kane, then be it. If it's Pesce then be it.

But for 22-man roster:

1. Larkin
2. DeBrincat
3. Raymond (7M)
4. Compher
5. Copp
6. Fabbri
7. Rasmussen
8. Perron (1.2M)
9. Berggren (1.4M)
10. Veleno (1.4M)
11. Fischer (1.2M)
12. Söderblom/other kid/Czarnik
13. "Czarnik"

1. Seider (8M)
2. Chiarot
3. Edvinsson
4. Walman
5. Petry
6. Määttä
7. Holl

1. Husso
2. Lyon

13+7+2 = 22man roster, and ~6M in cap space.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan

But for 22-man roster:

1. Larkin
2. DeBrincat
3. Raymond (7M)
4. Compher
5. Copp
6. Fabbri
7. Rasmussen
8. Perron (1.2M)
9. Berggren (1.4M)
10. Veleno (1.4M)
11. Fischer (1.2M)
13. "Czarnik"

1. Seider (8M)
2. Chiarot
3. Edvinsson
4. Walman
5. Petry
6. Määttä
7. Holl

1. Husso
2. Lyon

Yeah, we’re definitely going to regress if that’s what we have going into next season.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Why expecting a regress?

You lose something but, the the kids will grow.
We’re essentially saying we’re replacing the offensive output of Kane, a PPG player with….Berggren or another kid and assuming they will match? Not sure if that’s realistic.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing

But for 22-man roster:

1. Larkin
2. DeBrincat
3. Raymond (7M)
4. Compher
5. Copp
6. Fabbri
7. Rasmussen
8. Perron (1.2M)
9. Berggren (1.4M)
10. Veleno (1.4M)
11. Fischer (1.2M)
13. "Czarnik"

1. Seider (8M)
2. Chiarot
3. Edvinsson
4. Walman
5. Petry
6. Määttä
7. Holl

1. Husso
2. Lyon

1st 2025+Määttä+AlJo for Ekblad. Another "cat" whos becoming homesick, naturally after he wins a cup in Floreda.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Unless we get rid of a couple of contracts, and get some quality signings, I don't see much progress next year.
I would like to see Yzerman bring in a bunch of kids (Danielson, Kasper, AlJo) and tell the fans we ain't making the playoffs, or dump Holl and Copp and make actual moves to improve the roster. Anything else is wasting a year for no gain.

1.8 million in cap hit won't matter in 2029-2030 when the cap is likely pushing 100 million, Abdelkader is off the books, and Larkin/Seider/Raymond are signed to deals based off of a 85-87 million cap. If the cap is at 100 in 2030 then Larkin (8.7x8), Ray (8x8), Seider (8x8) will only take up a combined 24.7% of the cap for our top C, LW, and D. Kasper, ASP, Danielson, Cossa, Augustine will still be RFAs in 2029-2030. That means you can add three ten million dollar players to the team and still have 45.3% of the cap to fill the rest of the roster, which likely includes at least 5 RFAs. Even if Edvinsson, Danielson, and ASP are all 8 million dollar players that leaves you with 53% of the cap for your bottom three defensemen, goalies, two second pair wingers, and your bottom two lines. 51.2% if you have bought out Copp.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

But for 22-man roster:

1. Larkin
2. DeBrincat
3. Raymond (7M)
4. Compher
5. Copp
6. Fabbri
7. Rasmussen
8. Perron (1.2M)
9. Berggren (1.4M)
10. Veleno (1.4M)
11. Fischer (1.2M)
13. "Czarnik"

1. Seider (8M)
2. Chiarot
3. Edvinsson
4. Walman
5. Petry
6. Määttä
7. Holl

1. Husso
2. Lyon

Czarnik
34 Games, 1 Assist, -3

I'm not all that enthusiastic about Kasper or Mazur, but quite frankly they can't do any worse. Plus they're both bigger than Czarnik. That is a player that should never see NHL ice again.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
So much work ahead to at least match this season, let alone better it

Case in point at a 87 5m cap purely as an example/sample and still running back the same meh goaltending

Screenshot_20240418-174015_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240418-173922_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240418-174444_Samsung Internet.jpg

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Reactions: flychairman

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie

No country for Anthony Mantha

He just asking for money, whoever gives him more

I didn't get that impression. He seemed to give glowing reports on the key guys going forward and mentioned he liked the prospects and future of this team and mentioned he wanted to play until 40. That sounds like a guy saying he is comfortable with where he is. Think he has been around long enough to know if Detroit wants him back that his agent will make it happen if they give him some security.

Reactions: dalem177

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Why do fans want to give up 2 good young players and 4 assets for a guy with 1 year term

Are we a cup contender?? I'd forget about buchnevich
Great question

1. I do not believe JB will have a career in Detroit
2. I do not think Fabbri is good enough to warrant his salary (he is a salary dump)
3. I think Wallinder is good but you have to give to get
4. I think our 2025 1st should be a playoff position and thus in play in any deal that improves the team for the next 3 to 5 years

It dosent need to be Buch perse, that said, he is the style and age of forward we should target...

We will never ever ever become cup contenders via DRW drafted players only...it will not ever happen..period..

Reactions: PelagicJoe

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think we need some more size in the top 6 and we need a top 4 defender to pair with Ed.

If we can go:

Seider-Walman
Ed-Pesce (or trade equiv, trouba/ekblad)
Chiarot-Aljo/Petry

I think that is a massive defensive upgrade over 90% of this season. We are going to lose some offense but thats ok if we don't need 5 goals to win every game.

We need someone that can score some dirty goals and play better D in the top 6. I'd also like to see Bergy and one other prospect forward in the lineup. Good with Danielson, Kasper, or Mazur.

The last few games really showed how much we lacked physicality, dirty goal ability, and speed in our forward group.

Fabs and Maata need to be moved to clear space and Holl will need to be bought out.

I'd love a goalie upgrade but I'm ok giving Lyon a shot. I think a lot of his issues towards the end was the massive increase in games. With a more managed workload I think he'll do better. Hopefully we can get Cossa a few games next season too. Husso is a mess but I'm not sure what to do there unless we buy him out too. With that said though we likely won't gain any cap space getting a replacement.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Great question

1. I do not believe JB will have a career in Detroit
2. I do not think Fabbri is good enough to warrant his salary (he is a salary dump)
3. I think Wallinder is good but you have to give to get
4. I think our 2025 1st should be a playoff position and thus in play in any deal that improves the team for the next 3 to 5 years

It dosent need to be Buch perse, that said, he is the style and age of forward we should target...

We will never ever ever become cup contenders via DRW drafted players only...it will not ever happen..period..
I dont think berggen has a career here with all the rumors unless he sticks around and explodes .I do think trading him now for peanuts is moronic

Why would stl want fabbri? I'd say maybe target hawks and let him go for a 4th and they can flip him later. Theyll likely want better talent on the team to surround Bedard

I'd like to keep our first with the intention of moving up and deal the 2025 1st top 10 protected if it came to a move

Buch aged player is the last thing I'd want to do if in giving up all those assets for a 30 year old

Rather it be for a younger player with huge upside like a zegras type. I do agree we need to get tougher but I'd like you get high end talent to come along with seider edvinsson raymond kasper etc...

That'll be the group that leads us to a cup ,not larkin. He'll be the old vet... I agree we need better vets If you want to compete now but were not good enough for cup runs

Yzerman f***ed up by giving the deals to compher and copp. Maybe target a Roy to help the blue line for 4 years. Maybe reinhart this year or draisaitl next if he tests free agency

Either way this team goes nowhere until the Raymond's and seider and hopefully next crop carry us to the cup

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
People don’t wanna hear it but there will have to be cap dumps and buyouts. Holl, copp and husso are all buyout candidates. fabbri is a cap dump that actually might not take much to move him if we send him to Utah. Maata will likely be gone and Walman could be on the move for another defenseman, but that would be unlikely. I’d like to make moves for markstrom using Berggren, another prospect and a 1st or 2nd in 2025. In a perfect world we keep Kane, add markstrom and pesce and bring up Ed and aljo full time. This would leave us in decent standing cap wise if we dump maata, fabbri and don’t bring ghost or sprong back. I also wouldn’t bring back Perron unless it was for 2mill and under

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
People don’t wanna hear it but there will have to be cap dumps and buyouts. Holl, copp and husso are all buyout candidates. fabbri is a cap dump that actually might not take much to move him if we send him to Utah. Maata will likely be gone and Walman could be on the move for another defenseman, but that would be unlikely. I’d like to make moves for markstrom using Berggren, another prospect and a 1st or 2nd in 2025. In a perfect world we keep Kane, add markstrom and pesce and bring up Ed and aljo full time. This would leave us in decent standing cap wise if we dump maata, fabbri and don’t bring ghost or sprong back.
Buyouts are absolute worst case scenario situations moving forward. Better to send a pick/prospect with a contract or just having them play, than having dead cap just sitting there.

Reactions: RRhoads and Henkka

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Buyouts are absolute worst case scenario situations moving forward. Better to send a pick/prospect with a contract or just having them play, than having dead cap just sitting there.
Nobody is taking copp and his contract, a buyout is better just to get rid of him. Holl we could probably cap dump for a 2nd or 3rd but it will be costly, cost of yzerman creating a stupid logjam. Hussos contract is terrible but only for 1 more year, but no chance he gets traded, nobody wants that contract. I think a copp buyout is likely, if not this season then next off season. Read prashnanth talk about it for the details on how it would help.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
No country for Anthony Mantha

I didn't get that impression. He seemed to give glowing reports on the key guys going forward and mentioned he liked the prospects and future of this team and mentioned he wanted to play until 40. That sounds like a guy saying he is comfortable with where he is. Think he has been around long enough to know if Detroit wants him back that his agent will make it happen if they give him some security.
His agent will talk to Yzerman and probably other GMs.
Kane did not do permanent hip replacement, it's a temporary thing. I doubt he could play till 40 , they all wanted to play longer until they can't.
Someone will pay him 5-7 mil per, but the only reason I like him to stick with the team is that he plays with kids, so they could learn and one day say I played with legend

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Nobody is taking copp and his contract, a buyout is better just to get rid of him. Holl we could probably cap dump for a 2nd or 3rd. Hussos contract is terrible but only for 1 more year, but no chance he gets traded. I think a copp buyout is likely, if not this season then next off season. Read prashnanth talk about it for the details on how it would help.
I think Yzerman would take and play Copp at his current deal. He's fine. Holl is a RD, a pick to someone that needs to meet the floor. Husso is fine if he's healthy. Call up Cossa next year if we need a 3rd goalie.

There is next to 0 chance that Copp is bought out. He's doing exactly what he was brought here to do per management and the coaching staff.

Prashanth gets weird ideas now and then and just fixates blindly on them. Super smart guy, but often times he can't see the big picture because of the numbers in front of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad