Salary Cap: Red Wings 2024-25 - next season cap discussion

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Listened to Jeff mark's podcast titled yzerplan and he said what I always believed to be the case ... he thinks higher ups told yzerman to speed up the rebuild which is why he signed the vets last 2 seasons (could have done better than holl or copp lol) and that yzerman cant be judged until we see the result of all the prospects we have

Some other guy said were lacking that star prospect cause we've had no lottery luck and they're pretty much not confident we cant take the next step ... Meh

Anyways it's worth a listen if anyone wants to check it out

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He should have been here Lot sooner than he was
He came up for a couple games in December at the tail end of the the (first) Wings losing streak. I don't know if they didn't like what they saw at the time or it was just a roster issue. My memory is he looked pretty good. Not great but not bad enough to warrant giving him the hook.

Overall I would've liked to see him up sometime early in the new year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Listened to Jeff mark's podcast titled yzerplan and he said what I always believed to be the case ... he thinks higher ups told yzerman to speed up the rebuild which is why he signed the vets last 2 seasons (could have done better than holl or copp lol) and that yzerman cant be judged until we see the result of all the prospects we have

Some other guy said were lacking that star prospect cause we've had no lottery luck and they're pretty much not confident we cant take the next step ... Meh

Anyways it's worth a listen if anyone wants to check it out

I'm so not into this line of thinking. If your only way to build a team is to forcibly suck until you pull the golden ticket out of a candy wrapper then you're not competent enough to be given the task of building the team in the first place.

Also, I have a hard time looking at Seider, Raymond, and Edvinsson and saying they aren't star prospects. They didn't have the hype of a star prospect, but I think they are delivering the goods so far.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Yzerman not giving Kasper a single NHL game this season, even with all the injuries, is a pretty clear sign that he isn't getting a full-time NHL slot until 2025-2026.

I don't follow the Griffins but from what I've read Kasper had a bad first half of the season and turned things around in the back half. It's not surprising to me he didn't get a look.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
I'm so not into this line of thinking. If your only way to build a team is to forcibly suck until you pull the golden ticket out of a candy wrapper then you're not competent enough to be given the task of building the team in the first place.

Also, I have a hard time looking at Seider, Raymond, and Edvinsson and saying they aren't star prospects. They didn't have the hype of a star prospect, but I think they are delivering the goods so far.

Well if you look at the pens hawks,kings they all had high end star draft picks
I do agree we have end in guys with some of the guys you mentioned but we also need some guys to come out of nowhere and be top 6 star guys for us

We wont win signing copps and comphers. We need a berggren,soderblom etc... to be a big get for us

We'll only know where we're at when the kids show up. so far we have 2 guys, like Edvinsson alot but its still early to say he'll be another seider

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
He came up for a couple games in December at the tail end of the the (first) Wings losing streak. I don't know if they didn't like what they saw at the time or it was just a roster issue. My memory is he looked pretty good. Not great but not bad enough to warrant giving him the hook.

Overall I would've liked to see him up sometime early in the new year.
I think SY couldn't find a taker for a D-Man at the TDL and until there was an injury opening (Walman) is was really hard to bring him up unless they LTIRd someone, in hindsight, they could have put Husso on LTIR and brought him up.

We will never know what went on behind the scenes, it is very unusual to run a crowd of Vet D-Men and not have some sort of long term injury throughout the season, or be able to dump one at the TDL.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Well if you look at the pens hawks,kings they all had high end star draft picks
I do agree we have end in guys with some of the guys you mentioned but we also need some guys to come out of nowhere and be top 6 star guys for us

We wont win signing copps and comphers. We need a berggren,soderblom etc... to be a big get for us

We'll only know where we're at when the kids show up. so far we have 2 guys, like Edvinsson alot but its still early to say he'll be another seider
that was also true for the Pens, Hawks, and Kings, though. True for vast majority of modern cup winners, probably. People remember Staal, MAF, Crosby and Malkin, but Letang was picked in the third round. Goligoski in the 2nd (61st pick). Talbot was taken in the 8th round. Orpik was the 18th pick. The kings grabbed Doughty #2, but a ton of their team was either drafted where we've been drafted or dealt for.

I'm not saying we don't need high end talent. I am saying that this narrative that we have to suck for ten years just to get that perfect bluechipper is entirely wrong. Sometimes that's just not in the cards, and we've seen other franchises go that route and it's not paying off.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I get the need for improvement and with Kane Seider and Raymond all on expiring contracts it is difficult to see room in the cap without some moves.

All of that said, I am very adverse to buyouts. Sure there is a time and a place but I tend to prefer riding out deals than stretching them further via buyout.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
that was also true for the Pens, Hawks, and Kings, though. True for vast majority of modern cup winners, probably. People remember Staal, MAF, Crosby and Malkin, but Letang was picked in the third round. Goligoski in the 2nd (61st pick). Talbot was taken in the 8th round. Orpik was the 18th pick. The kings grabbed Doughty #2, but a ton of their team was either drafted where we've been drafted or dealt for.

I'm not saying we don't need high end talent. I am saying that this narrative that we have to suck for ten years just to get that perfect bluechipper is entirely wrong. Sometimes that's just not in the cards, and we've seen other franchises go that route and it's not paying off.
That's why we need guys picked in the later rounds to pan out . Maybe get lucky like the Sabres did with thompson

Cant recall but outside blues who else won cups with no high end top pick? I dont know about you but I dont want a blues 1 cup and your out lucky run. I want to go back to our glory days. Maybe we get lucky and sign a draisaitl?

I'm sure yzerman will do something

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
All of that said, I am very adverse to buyouts. Sure there is a time and a place but I tend to prefer riding out deals than stretching them further via buyout.
Better to trade them and retaining, although we can only retain 3 contracts.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
I get the need for improvement and with Kane Seider and Raymond all on expiring contracts it is difficult to see room in the cap without some moves.

I'm retaining on copp and holl if it means they're gone . Most fans would disagree but I'd trade debrincat in a second if we landed someone like reinhart .

Too many soft guys on this team

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I don't follow the Griffins but from what I've read Kasper had a bad first half of the season and turned things around in the back half. It's not surprising to me he didn't get a look.
I don't think Kasper is NHL ready just yet. I think he gets 10-20 games next season as a call-up and goes full-time the next season if he can handle himself.

A lot of people underestimate just how big of an adjustment it is to play on the smaller ice in North America. That's also why I think Danielson leapfrogs him and plays in the NHL next year.

I agree with Yzerman on this one.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
After watching Perrons end of season presser, no way we don't bring him back...he is exactly what the team needs

2 years @ 2.25m
I'd be fine with 2x2 and put him on the fourth line as a player-coach. Start Danielson as his center and maybe Berggren on the other wing. Have Perron show them what it takes to be a full-time pro in the NHL.

(Send Berggren to live and work out with Raymond in the summer first)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I'd be fine with 2x2 and put him on the fourth line as a player-coach. Start Danielson as his center and maybe Berggren on the other wing. Have Perron show them what it takes to be a full-time pro in the NHL.

(Send Berggren to live and work out with Raymond in the summer first)

I'd rather Edvinsson go work out with Raymond first. Overall I'm happy with how he looked on the team but he needs to pack on some pounds and strength. When he tried to shove guys out there he mostly bounced off.

Reactions: DatsDeking

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
After watching Perrons end of season presser, no way we don't bring him back...he is exactly what the team needs

2 years @ 2.25m

I think players like Perron are absolutely needed on this team, he serves a solid role. The issue is with the likes of Copp, Chiarot, and Holl. Yzerman is gonna have to buyout one or two if he can't unload.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I dunno it was fun for a year but think team is better when they didn't kind of cater to Kane. Can't imagine with how competitive he is that being on the 2nd line was what he wanted.

Reactions: norrisnick

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
We got to see Kane for a while which was sort of fun, but we cannot afford to stick him in our top 6 let alone top line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad