Salary Cap: Red Wings 2024-25 - next season cap discussion

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
depends if we need that cap space for some reason. If we're moving fabbri (or copp or whoever) I think it's to make room for another deal.

I think fabbri makes more sense to move and that yes, we need both the cap space and roster spots in order to take another step(same goes for Holl, Matta and Husso)

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Copp is getting paid 6 mill a year for 30 points a season.

Holl is getting paid 3.5 mill for not even playing half the season (being benched for half).

I just don’t see how Steve can look at that and be okay carrying it into next season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think it saved us much of anything. Everyone knows how important Seider is to the wings, everyone knows how hard his deployment was, and his agents will (should) be able to pull the metrics to back up the argument even better than we can.

Maybe Yzerman will convince Seider to bridge it this contract, but the kid can demand a serious pay day and he'll have earned it.

Of course it saved future money.

Defencemen contracts are heavily based on:
A) production (50-42-42 point seasons)
B) ice-time (23-23-22 minute seasons)

And on both cases, Seider did not get any better on his contract year, and ice-time went 1 minute less. It's kind of a totally different case versus Raymond, who did bounce back from his poor second season.

"Kid demanding serious pay day" -not gonna happen, when Larkin did set the team culture to take less. You'll respect the Captain.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Of course it saved future money.

Defencemen contracts are heavily based on:
A) production (50-42-42 point seasons)
B) ice-time (23-23-22 minute seasons)

And on both cases, Seider did not get any better on his contract year, and ice-time went 1 minute less. It's kind of a totally different case versus Raymond, who did bounce back from his poor second season.

"Kid demanding serious pay day" -not gonna happen, when Larkin did set the team culture to take less. You'll respect the Captain.
No one involved is dumb enough to look at that and go, "Oh shit, Mo got worse, guess he's not worth as much as Power or Sanderson...."

There really isn't any wiggle room when two other defensemen, both coming off of their ELCs just like Mo, sign 8yr by $8M+ and Mo is unquestionably better than both of them.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think it's crazy high. I keep penciling in 2x$5m, but $6m doesn't seem crazy. If he really wants it, I'd bet he could get it somewhere if not here.

I wouldn't do a multi-year deal, because those flexible bonuses can be completed only for +35y-old 1-year deals.

Ghost will finish top 15 in defensive scoring with 56 points. Would really like him back but he’s gonna be looking for a raise.

the rest I agree with.

Think Gostisbehere is a clear walk, because Seider is gonna take the full 1st PP QB role. And either Edvinsson or Walman will split the 2nd unit.

The defence has to become better defensively. Hope adding Brett Pesce, if anything.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No one involved is dumb enough to look at that and go, "Oh shit, Mo got worse, guess he's not worth as much as Power or Sanderson...."

Sorry to disappoint you, but math won't lie.

We know this both. If Seider will get ~8M, he is worth ~10M as a player.

But this time he won't get what he is worth. Maybe later on his career.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Your hilarious. Been pushing for the kids to come and saying how this team will never take the next step until the kids showup

That defense is the same as this season minus edvinsson who should have been there game 1. More changes need to be done

You guys won't get the long-term timelines. Kids are coming but not tomorrow. In a 2-3 year window, yeah.

Agree with the defence. Ghost can walk and another UFA + Edvinsson full-time are the upgrades.

Reactions: SantosHalper

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, from another angle, buying out Husso instead of Copp and trading for Markstrom or one of the Boston goalies likely gets us into the POs next year. Markstrom/Lyon with Seider and Edvinsson in front of them would be a decent backend.

Buying out Husso, would sound reasonable, because those last year buyouts won't hurt long.

But after his injury history, same injury repeating and repeating, why not just going on full-time LTIR and then the caphit is gone?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

I'm not disappointed. Will you be if Mo ends up signing more than 5 years and more than $7M/yr?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The question is who runs out of patience first: Larkin or Yzerman? Yzerman might have an infinite leash from Chris Ilitch but if Larkin demands a trade the team is dead in the water.

Larkin demands a trade? :D

He just committed for 8 years, and understands the great prospect situation. Team is on a certain progress year-by-year. Do you really think Larkin would be that stupid?

Ducks fan here with a proposition. Would anybody here be interested in a swap of Husso for Gibson? The Ducks could definitely retain on Gibson to make his contract more palatable and less risky. Obviously, if you were to ask for 50% retention, then I would ask for a decent asset in addition to Husso.

I totally understand that there is some apprehension with the idea of acquiring Gibson, but I do genuinely believe he would put up significantly better numbers on a competitive team. Gibson typically plays the first half of the season at an average to above average starter level, but once it’s clear that the team is out of playoff contention, his play falls off a cliff, which craters his stats. I get that he’s a risk, but with enough retention, he should definitely be a worthy gamble, and one with much more upside than Husso.

Like this idea. Gibson could work as Ben Bishop did work for Tampa before Vasilevskiy was ready.

Would definitely be similar situation to buy some development time for Cossa. It's a 3-year window.

Verbeek will definitely know Red Wings prospects to get something he likes.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

He was never getting $10m as a cap hit. He'd have a higher cap% than Makar had when he signed his current deal...But then I'm also not sure how any contract $8m+ over 8 years isn't getting a payday.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
What's Raymonds extension look like now? Guessing it went way up based on the last few weeks play.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
You guys won't get the long-term timelines. Kids are coming but not tomorrow. In a 2-3 year window, yeah.

Agree with the defence. Ghost can walk and another UFA + Edvinsson full-time are the upgrades.

2-3 year window?? You want to overripe these kids forever??

Kasper played 2years in the shl with men, 1 year in ahl and been looking great. I'd trade copp and put kasper 3c without a seconds thought

Edvinsson should have had a full season under him, if he had we'd be in the playoffs

Mazur 22
Johansson 23
Berggren 23
Soderblom will be 23

Enough with the let's wait longer nonsense. Its time to play the kids otherwise why do we even draft. 70% of the roster wont even be here in 2-3 years, you think we'll be any better in 3 years with everyone gone??

It's time to insert some pieces of the future and put them in with the core guys and let things progress. If they fail , they fail... much rather have these guys over fabbri copp perron

Its time

Reactions: flychairman

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023

That's not correct.

Not any kind of prayer Seider gets over 9.5. That's been established as the UFA #1D rate. It would be an overpayment for him to get that as an RFA. Seider gets stuck at wanting $10M? He's taking a 3 year bridge at 6 before he gets 10.

Honestly, I see 8x8 for Seider and for Raymond. Raymond would have been less before he really broke out and Seider more if he were continuing to develop huge into a #1D. But he kinda hit a plateau (it's a testament to him that his plateau is still really good.)

8x8 for both?

Seems like where I'd start.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I'd like to see something like this next year

1713448873534.png

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
2-3 year window?? You want to overripe these kids forever??

Kasper played 2years in the shl with men, 1 year in ahl and been looking great. I'd trade copp and put kasper 3c without a seconds thought

Edvinsson should have had a full season under him, if he had we'd be in the playoffs

Mazur 22
Johansson 23
Berggren 23
Soderblom will be 23

Enough with the let's wait longer nonsense. Its time to play the kids otherwise why do we even draft. 70% of the roster wont even be here in 2-3 years, you think we'll be any better in 3 years with everyone gone??

It's time to insert some pieces of the future and put them in with the core guys and let things progress. If they fail , they fail... much rather have these guys over fabbri copp perron

Its time

Edvinsson was recovering from shoulder surgery and had an ok not great preseason. Starting the season in the NHL would've been a mistake.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Edvinsson was recovering from shoulder surgery and had an ok not great preseason. Starting the season in the NHL would've been a mistake.
Lots of our D had ok not great preseason and it was quite obvious that starting them in the NHL was a mistake.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
If Kane leaves or wants too much what about Tyler Toffoli on a medium term deal for $5.5mil? We'd need an actual top 6 winger to replace Kane and Toffoli does the job. Right handed shot, goal scorer, veteran but not ancient.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Yzerman not giving Kasper a single NHL game this season, even with all the injuries, is a pretty clear sign that he isn't getting a full-time NHL slot until 2025-2026.
He might have no other choice than to bring up ELCs next season, because we will be right up against the cap, even with ELCs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad