red wing vault , 1926 to present

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Larry Aurie
Larry-Aurie.jpg

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Larry Aurie and Marty BarryView attachment 504632

That photo is from the era of the Wings' first hey-day in the mid to late 1930s, Aurie and Barry among the first star players in Wings' history and leading them to the team's first Cup win in 1936 (over Toronto) and again in 1937 (Rangers, though without an injured Aurie). The third player in line is unidentified, but notable for wearing a helmet. Apart from one Bruins player for one season in the late 20s, helmet use didn't start untiil after Eddie Shore ended Ace Bailey's career in December 1933. Shore immediately afterward started wearing a helmet, the first prominent NHLer to do so. Others tried it, some coaches briefly insisted on it (including Jack Adams), but most discarded it after a brief experiment. Too hot, too embarrassing. Among the first Wings to wear one were Ralph (Scotty) Bowman, Ebbie Goodfellow and Wilfred (Bucko) McDonald, one of whom is probably that third player in line. Others wore it only briefly while recovering from cuts to the head and concussions. It took more than 40 years after this photo was taken for helmet use to become mandatory for all new players.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Not posting this with intention of being a jerk or a funny guy. I had a memory of seeing this hanging up in a police station (was there as a volunteer) back before the first cup. I kept questioning my memory that I ever saw it. I recently came across an ebay auction for the image. I think it was some kind of public service campaign probably sent to schools or public buildings. Anyway I wish with all my heart one thing could have happened different that night to avoid that crash. If you ever want to help him directly you can google the go fund me for him which adds $ to his continued care.

1648409424804.png

• Wow
Reactions: Ricelund

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Not posting this with intention of being a jerk or a funny guy. I had a memory of seeing this hanging up in a police station (was there as a volunteer) back before the first cup. I kept questioning my memory that I ever saw it. I recently came across an ebay auction for the image. I think it was some kind of public service campaign probably sent to schools or public buildings. Anyway I wish with all my heart one thing could have happened different that night to avoid that crash. If you ever want to help him directly you can google the go fund me for him which adds $ to his continued care.

View attachment 522544
Man, that’s absolutely insane…

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Red Wings entourage Marquette, Michigan play the prison team 1954

Red Wings entourage  Marquette, Michigan play the prison team 1954 one.jpg
Red Wings entourage  Marquette, Michigan play the prison team 1954.jpg

Attachments

• Red Wings entourage  Marquette, Michigan play the prison team 1954 one.jpg
    Red Wings entourage Marquette, Michigan play the prison team 1954 one.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Red Wings entourage  Marquette, Michigan play the prison team 1954.jpg
    Red Wings entourage Marquette, Michigan play the prison team 1954.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 3

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014

View attachment 522544

ugh (great find and all but the irony is sickening)

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
Loved watching McCarty schooling this flannel kid on Woodward Sports.

The flannel interview dude must post here cause he sounds like every stats/awards dork lol

OK, McCarty was "lucky" to play on those Wings teams, as were Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Shanahan, and so on. It isn't like 2008 was McCarty's only cup, he was a pretty big part of the first three, not just in his role but with actual goals and plays.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Was bored the other night and found Yzerman's introductory presser in TB on YouTube... thought this part was pretty cool, how Yzerman gets choked up when talking about leaving Detroit:

Reactions: Retire91

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
"My great aunt used to say that if she were a hat, she'd rather be on in the rain than off her rocker. None of us really knew what she meant by that but I do know that here we have almost 2 hours of classic Detroit and Avs playoff goals." - Plausible Keats

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
"My great aunt used to say that if she were a hat, she'd rather be on in the rain than off her rocker. None of us really knew what she meant by that but I do know that here we have almost 2 hours of classic Detroit and Avs playoff goals." - Plausible Keats

Sent this guy a donation once. His content is incredible.

Reactions: Ricelund

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Can't wait til Mo & Ed put Makar & Girard in their place.

1657147558603.png

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I got access to an AI art program

This is justin abdelkader contract

1657583602823.png

justin abdelkader pulling the piano

1657583661103.png

Realgud hockey

1657583784982.png

Helen St. James Interviewing Gordie Howe