Red Sox will cut payroll significantly in 2020

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The new CBA basically turned baseball into a hard cap. This will seemingly only exacerbate the Free Agent problems. Things are probably gonna get even worse this off season.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
This would be prime chance for a team like White Sox to go after Betts and take on a Price type contract to lessen future's package they would have to give up

Would provide who financial savings for Red Sox while bolstering White Sox offensively and pitching wise without gutting farm

Sox probably will have to eat a lot of Price contract if they try to trade him on own so packing him with Betts and taking less future package may be best way to go financially

2B Yolmer Sanchez
Any two of SP Dane Dunning or Michael Kopech or Jonathan Stiever or Matthew Thompson
OF Steele Walker

Would be package I would offer in such a deal to try and get it done taking on full salary of Price

-- Of course Sox would need to be able to talk to Betts and try to hammer out deal as part of trade --

Last edited:

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
"still plans to be competitive"

lmao

"we'll just find a taker for david price and nate eovaldi, pray that we can fix the bullpen and that e-rod can repeat this season and we can make up the innings that porcello ate." sure, guys.

though the last time they tried this orsillo got the axe so maybe they'll get rid of o'brien.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Well I have to think they want to build the farm system back up. Dont think they trade Eovoldi. They probably could get quite a bit for Betts.
Price is not going to return much I wouldn’t think. Think they hold onto Sale as well. He is a great pitcher who had a bad year

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
betts has a year of control left and has given every indication that he is going to market.

price, sale and eovaldi combine to make 79 million dollars starting next season. price has had minor arm trouble and has a time bomb in his elbow, sale was hurt this year and might still need tj and eovaldi signed his contract and was almost immediately injured. 79 million dollars.

how else are they going to cut payroll? cut pedroia? sure, just take another massive pr hit. jd might leave on his own. bogaerts is making 20 million and was worth probably double that. oh, e-rod just had a career year and is entering his third year of arb.

they'll let cashner, moreland, pierce, porcello and holt walk and count those savings until they have to pay bradley jnr and rodriguez.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
maybe Martinez opts out and they let him go

I doubt he opts out. Last years free agency was a good lesson and with his age + numbers dropping a little bit who knows if he'll get the same money left on his deal.

"still plans to be competitive"

lmao

"we'll just find a taker for david price and nate eovaldi, pray that we can fix the bullpen and that e-rod can repeat this season and we can make up the innings that porcello ate." sure, guys.

though the last time they tried this orsillo got the axe so maybe they'll get rid of o'brien.

I'd be surprised if they found a taker for Price and the huge money left on his deal.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Can't imagine why they'd want to entertain Betts leaving.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
upload_2019-9-29_13-54-15.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-29_13-54-15.png
    upload_2019-9-29_13-54-15.png
    860.1 KB · Views: 1

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Don’t see why a team would trade for Betts. You’d have to give up the moon and hasn’t he kind of eluded to the fact that he wants to test out FA?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Don’t see why a team would trade for Betts. You’d have to give up the moon and hasn’t he kind of eluded to the fact that he wants to test out FA?
It gives you an edge for negotiations.

Plus, you can be elevated to WS contender by adding a top 3 player in the world.

It's like the Raptors trading for Kawhi. I'd say the Reds should go all in for him or something.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
pretty much. you're getting one of the best players in baseball to try to win a world series. if you're out of it by the trade deadline, move him.

i'd love the red sox to sign mookie long term but he's clearly not interested. if things can't work out and they can't improve the team while cutting payroll (lol) then move him, get what you can and build around devers and bogey.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Stay tuned because I have an all time rant queued up for when the Sox trade Mookie.

However if it has to happen, CWS, SD, ATL and MIN seem like logical options (although maybe not the Twins cause who knows if they could sign him long term)

Reactions: Emperoreddy

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
It gives you an edge for negotiations.

Plus, you can be elevated to WS contender by adding a top 3 player in the world.

It's like the Raptors trading for Kawhi. I'd say the Reds should go all in for him or something.

pretty much. you're getting one of the best players in baseball to try to win a world series. if you're out of it by the trade deadline, move him.

i'd love the red sox to sign mookie long term but he's clearly not interested. if things can't work out and they can't improve the team while cutting payroll (lol) then move him, get what you can and build around devers and bogey.

Oh I get why a team would want to add Betts on their team. Dude is ridiculous. I guess I just mean from an asset management situation he will cost a ton and if a guy wants to test the FA market he’s gonna do it. Yeah you have an inside track but if he leaves you’ve potentially gutted your farm or given up very good mlb talent because he won’t come cheap.

Also need to find that right team who is a legit contender but has high end assets that they can part with. On top of that need a serious payroll and space to add a $30+ mil player to re-sign. What team would fit that description?

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Stay tuned because I have an all time rant queued up for when the Sox trade Mookie.

However if it has to happen, CWS, SD, ATL and MIN seem like logical options (although maybe not the Twins cause who knows if they could sign him long term)
Shouldn't the White Sox trade for JD Martinez (without giving up anything)? Boston would get salary relief of at least $ 2.5m and the certainty of having shed an expensive contract. Chicago would very likely secure a DH, since there would not be any possible other suitors which makes the opt-out moot.

Gruß,
BSHH

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
White Sox should just move Abreu to the DH. JD would be an upgrade on him, but not enough at the salary differential.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
This would be prime chance for a team like White Sox to go after Betts and take on a Price type contract to lessen future's package they would have to give up

Would provide who financial savings for Red Sox while bolstering White Sox offensively and pitching wise without gutting farm

Sox probably will have to eat a lot of Price contract if they try to trade him on own so packing him with Betts and taking less future package may be best way to go financially

2B Yolmer Sanchez
Any two of SP Dane Dunning or Michael Kopech or Jonathan Stiever or Matthew Thompson
OF Steele Walker

Would be package I would offer in such a deal to try and get it done taking on full salary of Price

-- Of course Sox would need to be able to talk to Betts and try to hammer out deal as part of trade --
Yes, a top 20 prospect in baseball and three top 15 guys in the org. Those are all the same thing.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
I mean I assume the White Sox would have to offer 2 of 3 of Madrigal, Kopech, and Robert as a starting point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad