Mulberry Street
Red Sox are an utter disaster. SAD!

67740514_525873481515985_9124797280397830379_n.jpg

Reactions: Roman Fell

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
For one year of Betts? Absolutely not.

If a team traded for him, how confident would you be that they would be able to extend Betts? To me he sounds destined to test FA but I guess if a contender thinks he's the missing piece for a WS run and are OK with giving up assets for just the one year then that's fair. I just think the ask from Boston will be too high to justify that.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
If a team traded for him, how confident would you be that they would be able to extend Betts? To me he sounds destined to test FA but I guess if a contender thinks he's the missing piece for a WS run and are OK with giving up assets for just the one year then that's fair. I just think the ask from Boston will be too high to justify that.
They won't. The writing is on the wall that he will hit free agency. Is there value to having him on your team all year and auditioning it to him? Of course, but it's not nearly the same.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
They won't. The writing is on the wall that he will hit free agency. Is there value to having him on your team all year and auditioning it to him? Of course, but it's not nearly the same.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. Growing up in Nashville I wouldn't imagine he has a particular attachment to a certain team or geographical area (unless I'm missing something) so he'll just go based on fit and money.

I know it would never happen and he'd likely want to play elsewhere but if I'm the Jays I give him a blank check and tell him to fill it out. Other than pitching, the team needs some big time help in the outfield and there's not much coming up internally to fix that.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. Growing up in Nashville I wouldn't imagine he has a particular attachment to a certain team or geographical area (unless I'm missing something) so he'll just go based on fit and money.

I know it would never happen and he'd likely want to play elsewhere but if I'm the Jays I give him a blank check and tell him to fill it out. Other than pitching, the team needs some big time help in the outfield and there's not much coming up internally to fix that.
He'll chase the money as he should and I'd certainly think that the Jays could be a destination if they wanted to be.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

At worst someone will trade for him at the deadline for a post season run. Tho some teams might make a move in the winter if they are trying to go all in.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
At worst someone will trade for him at the deadline for a post season run. Tho some teams might make a move in the winter if they are trying to go all in.
He certainly has a lot of trade value. Machado returned some good pieces for Baltimore, but it's not commiserate value for their talent level obviously.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

So it would seem they are finding no takers for Price. Not surprising since they essentially ruled out adding a big piece to get it done nor eating large portion of his contract in trade

I really dont get what Red Sox are trying to accomplish here because while they claim they want to cut payroll drastically they also seem to believe they can dictate and force contracts like Price on teams without giving up something significant or eating significant money

Reactions: Mrfenn92

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
any team would be lucky to have david price and his remaining 96 million dollars for the next three years. a bargain! less than gerritt cole! if, for example a team in the american league lost out on gerritt cole, they'd be fools to not give the red sox prospects and take the entire contract on. or, say you've got a brand new, great park or stadium and just were given a starter from another team. don't you want your new starter to have a friend?

i'm not talking jive here, i'm just saying that it'd be a worthwhile transaction.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC
Sep 19, 2008
look at the big market team claiming financial issues. What's the matter, can't buy titles anymore? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->