Red Mile Alert Thread

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Making my way to the Red Mile shortly here. Will be wearing our home jersey with Stajan on the back. First legal time, wish me luck.

ElectricSky*

Gonna cruise down in about 30 minutes. First time ill be legal for a Flames playoff game also. I was 17 in 2009. No matter what happens, I am proud of this team. Go Flames Go!

Espeon

Apr 4, 2015
Ill be driving up on Friday morning after I'm off work. Can anyone recommend any good bars on the red mile to watch the game in? Also if anyone has any stories about tonight feel free to post it

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
There's noise coming from the Red Mile... :)

@ Espeon: There's a few places noted in the earlier posts. National, Ship and Achor, Rose and Crown, Hudsons are a few close by what is perceived to be the centre of festivities.

Espeon

Apr 4, 2015
Thanks man. First time I've been legal to celebrate playoffs in a bar. Actually back in 09 I was only 12 or 13 so I couldn't even drive up :laugh:

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I feel like Roosevelt would be a great place to watch, lots of TVs and places to stand/sit. Just sucks its further down the Mile on 9th st. Buuut there are also a lot of places to watch on the west end of 17th. Morgans, 1410, The Pint, Moxies Lounge.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
My god, my god. That last goal, I probably hugged like 100 people, I blacked out so hard celebrating that goal, such a rush. Not too long after I saw a Habs fan and a Flames fan fist fight, Flames fan won but seemed to be the instigator and started with a cheap shot if I saw correctly. Regardless, hell of night, heres to hoping we make round 2 cause my finals block the rest of round one.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Thanks man. First time I've been legal to celebrate playoffs in a bar. Actually back in 09 I was only 12 or 13 so I couldn't even drive up :laugh:

Early reports that I've seen seem to show that places are packed by 7pm or an hour before puck drop. You might want to get into the bar of choice maybe an hour and half in advance. Otherwise, you might have to shift further down 17th ave to the locations Rangediddy mentioned.

Any reports of options on Stephen Ave?

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Early reports that I've seen seem to show that places are packed by 7pm or an hour before puck drop. You might want to get into the bar of choice maybe an hour and half in advance. Otherwise, you might have to shift further down 17th ave to the locations Rangediddy mentioned.

Any reports of options on Stephen Ave?

Flames Central, Local, National on 8th, Original Joes, State & Main, Barcelona, Below Deck, Bank & Baron.

I haven't been to any of these for game day (obviously), but all will have a good number of tv screens.

Pig & Duke downtown or on 12th ave might be fun, but they're a Canucks bar so visit at your own risk.

Blind Monk on 12th has lots of space, lots of TVs, CHEAP drinks and decent pub food. Would be a fun place should you not be able to find a spot at the other 'hot spots'

Edit: I'm not an alcoholic, I just live and work downtown. It's my backyard... where I like to drink everyday :yo:

MatthewT

Mar 29, 2008
Looking for advice. Out of town Sens fan who scored tickets to tomorrow's game, but wanted to catch the sens/habs game before the Flames game? Was thinking of watching the 1st and 2nd somewhere then heading to the rink to watch the 3rd. I assume there's bars in the rink?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Looking for advice. Out of town Sens fan who scored tickets to tomorrow's game, but wanted to catch the sens/habs game before the Flames game? Was thinking of watching the 1st and 2nd somewhere then heading to the rink to watch the 3rd. I assume there's bars in the rink?

Dutton's lounge is pretty much the only bar in the rink.

You might want to get there early.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
I was there yesterday. Absolutely insane. Sidewalks were packed, everyone high fiving, chants were loud and often.

One if the coolest things I've seen.

GoFlames

Jul 2, 2008
Calgary
Flames Central, Local, National on 8th, Original Joes, State & Main, Barcelona, Below Deck, Bank & Baron.

I haven't been to any of these for game day (obviously), but all will have a good number of tv screens.

Pig & Duke downtown or on 12th ave might be fun, but they're a Canucks bar so visit at your own risk.

Blind Monk on 12th has lots of space, lots of TVs, CHEAP drinks and decent pub food. Would be a fun place should you not be able to find a spot at the other 'hot spots'

Edit: I'm not an alcoholic, I just live and work downtown. It's my backyard... where I like to drink everyday :yo:

Most screens would likely be the Yardhouse in Kensington

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I think it's embarrassing with what's happening with the harassment. Not what this city wants as a reputation.

That being said, I was thinking the other day what was going to be the new chant in place of 'Shirts off for Kiprusoff'. 'Show your cans for Monahan' and 'Strip show for Gaudreau' are pretty clever. BUT COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE! :rant:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Whenever excessive alcohol intake is involved, people are going to do stupid things, the city or area said people are from is irrelevant (see spring break). I personally think the "chants" are a little over blown, both males and females are intoxicated and as such both are engaging in stupid acts. However, there is a fine line here that is potentially being crossed and if any physical or assault acts are occurring, well that is completely inexcusable.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If anyone went to the red mile after game 6, the party was good. There were some guys who would saying the "Show your cans for monahan" lines and others would confront them and say stuff like "Now how we party this year" etc.

Reports of the masses self policing (ie: Shaming people who smash bottles on ground etc).

People are having fun with the epicenter at the Ship and Anchor. There's some interesting stuff further west as well for which I noticed a fire poi show (swinging fire on a string).

Homeless people wandering around for cans and individuals running around helping them collect them.

If you don't want rowdy, stay away from ship and anchor. Lots of crazy there but not harassment as far as most anecdotal evidence I've heard and read so far. No harassment for women and even Vancouver fans.

Stories like these confirming what I saw with my own eyes on the red mile just make me even more proud of being Calgarian.

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Only 6 arrests despite a 12000 person crowd, and none were harassment related.

One dude just stripped naked.

:laugh:

Kinda funny, but I can understand why some people were offended over it.

Really happy to hear that the Mile is a place anyone can go to enjoy themselves after a huge win.

After game six even parents took out the strollers and wheeled their toddlers and stuff down. I can recall giving high fives to 10+ little ones having the time of their young lives on 17th. It was awesome.

Happy to say we get at least one more round out of the deal, too.

Go Flames Go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad