Red Mile Alert Thread

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
it's all fun and games until someone accidentally takes home a Canuck fan

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
For those who do remember, in 2004 Calgary had the famous Red Mile after a 7 year hiatus. Well, it's been six years since we've made the playoffs and the fans are going to be rowdy as heck. For those who live outside of Calgary (still wished I lived there!!) I thought this would be a good thread to make to document 2015 Red Mile, if it happens.

I'd love updates on how the Red Mile works out this year! Even if we don't make it to the 2nd round, 17th Ave still has to be poppin!

Photos would be awesome, too!

I remember in 04 when I was just 12 and wanted to go down to the Red Mile but my family instructed me not to lol. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
I already have tickets to game 6, I am praying it's a series winning game and the Dome pours out onto the red mile. I can't guarantee any play by play, but I will take as many pics as I can.

I was on the red mile almost every game in 04. We watched them on a little TV that sat on the ice box outside the Shell. It was incredible bring outside with the ppl. I have a feeling it will be far more regulated this year, but all it will take is one home series winning game, and the red mile will be back in full force. The city is itching for it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Guys, I know females are majestic creatures. But please, I ask for the sake of site rules not to refer to their anatomy.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Calgary police were responsible for such a safe party in 2004. They partied with the crowd for **** sakes.

This year they already released a statement saying "feel free to party on the red-mile, just behave....and we won't interfere"

If that's the case, should be a dandy. If I'm not actually at the game, I'll be on 17th.

But chances are I'll be at every game Mwahahahahah

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Calgary police were responsible for such a safe party in 2004. They partied with the crowd for **** sakes.

This year they already released a statement saying "feel free to party on the red-mile, just behave....and we won't interfere"

If that's the case, should be a dandy. If I'm not actually at the game, I'll be on 17th.

But chances are I'll be at every game Mwahahahahah

You that rich bruh? Gadamn.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Cops will crush it before it even starts. 04 was like a flash mob.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
You know what might help? Helping the police. Help them out, they might give the crowds a benefit of the doubt. If trash is a concern, maybe someone can organize groups to clean it. We rallied together and helped make lives better in the June Flood. I'm sure we can rally together again to ensure a great safe party free of shenanigans and business/residential is garbage free.

I've heard stories about cops going in for a high 5 in '04 only to take away open alcohol and give a warning. I think this level of monitoring would be awesome to have. Let's show as fans we are responsible to handle it. If they shut people down, don't argue with them, quietly shuffle away to Stephen Ave or 4th Street or wherever else.

I would also not be surprised to see city Council wandering around in the middle of the party as well. Let's behave for them.

Lastly, we all have phones with cameras, dash cams or go pros. Let's use them not only for happy times and majestic pictures, but let's also use them to help to dissipate problems before they get out of hand and/or use them to remove problem people from attending future celebrations.

Let's have fun and try to unite the city instead of fearing shenanigans that may or may not happen :)

Go Flames Go!

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
a "HF Boards saves Calgary" headline would be pretty funny. Lets all create a Red Mile Watch led by our mods, and our security can be 100 Third Graders (assuming he makes the trip). We will be the hero's Calgary deserves. The HF Team

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
a "HF Boards saves Calgary" headline would be pretty funny. Lets all create a Red Mile Watch led by our mods, and our security can be 100 Third Graders (assuming they makes the trip). We will be the hero's Calgary deserves. The HF Team

100 third graders running security with CPS would be pretty good to see. I'm afraid most of them would fall asleep by the time any of the games are over, though.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Imagine how well behaved people would be if there literally were 1000 grade 3 kids running around 17th ave.

Imagine being caught on camera doing something bad by a third grader with a phone. Embarassing. :laugh:

Now imagine those same kids heckling Vancouver fans...

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
You know what might help? Helping the police. Help them out, they might give the crowds a benefit of the doubt. If trash is a concern, maybe someone can organize groups to clean it. We rallied together and helped make lives better in the June Flood. I'm sure we can rally together again to ensure a great safe party free of shenanigans and business/residential is garbage free.

I've heard stories about cops going in for a high 5 in '04 only to take away open alcohol and give a warning. I think this level of monitoring would be awesome to have. Let's show as fans we are responsible to handle it. If they shut people down, don't argue with them, quietly shuffle away to Stephen Ave or 4th Street or wherever else.

I would also not be surprised to see city Council wandering around in the middle of the party as well. Let's behave for them.

Lastly, we all have phones with cameras, dash cams or go pros. Let's use them not only for happy times and majestic pictures, but let's also use them to help to dissipate problems before they get out of hand and/or use them to remove problem people from attending future celebrations.

Let's have fun and try to unite the city instead of fearing shenanigans that may or may not happen :)

Go Flames Go!

That's a good post. I'm down with that!

Nichenew

Feb 4, 2010
On a side note, anyone know of any good places to watch the game on the red mile? Including game day specials?

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
You that rich bruh? Gadamn.

I do alright, but I pulled money from savings and investments for the playoffs. This don't happen everyday. I had seasons tickets in 04 and attended every playoff game but 1.

If you have been there, you'll understand why. It's worth every penny.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I dunno, I hope it gets crazier than 2004 personally. :dunno:

That run unified this city, the fanbase and IMO was an instrumental force of why we went so deep in the Ploffs. I've heard several former player share their accounts of that run and The Red Mile and each and every one gives me goosebumps. As a fan, I have no words to explain how that made me feel. The house parties during the week, the insane atmosphere at the Dome, the Red Mile was better than Mardi Gras. People from all over the world came here the following playoff years to experience it but it was never the same. I really hope it comes back bigger and better than ever before, I wouldn't let a few bad apples ruin what so many enjoyed.

I think that's unlikely for a couple of reasons: 1) Melrose is gone and Flames Central is on 8th, so no longer is everything concentrated on 17th in terms of central sports bars; 2) the city has done a very strict job of cracking down on the Red Mile since '04. 06-09 were barely shadows of what it was like in 2004, especially when they blocked off the street.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
There is no Melrose, but there is still The National, Ship & Anchor, Jameson's, and a bunch of other bars on 17th that people will likely go to.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
like my gdt? :sarcasm:

And with the strange GIF in the playoff thread... I could imagine how interesting it could get if we slowly evolve a nightmare theme into it... :)

Ship and Anchor/National is my guess for the central location on 17th, probably more options the closer you get towards 14th street if it's too crowded there. Within a few blocks of that though, Rose and Crown and Hudson's should be ok too.

Alright everyone. Best behavior. Good behavior next two games and we'll see how CPS reacts for game 3. :nod:

Oh and for the love of Gaudreau, if someone in a Canucks jersey is really getting it bad from someone (ie: not back and forth chirping and one sided heckling), please step in. They're out to enjoy the night too, not have it ruined by a meanie. For now, it might be against your beliefs, but in the long run, we might be allowed more leniency by CPS.

Last edited:

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
As a Flames fan living in Vancouver, my options for watching with fellow Flames fans is rather limited. I went to my first game at the dome since the playoffs in 89 (playoffs vs Chicago) when I was turning 8 and thought it would be the last Flames vs Canucks game of the year. Spent valentine's weekend back home in Calgary with my lady and what a fantastic game to go to. Go a new Monahan jersey right before the game and everything was perfect. I figured my presence in the dome again my at least get as back into the playoffs, haha. Well now it's time for more.

Hopefully, I can find somewhere to watch the game (other than home) with other transplanted fans.

Cheers, guys. Enjoy the mile. It was awesome in 2004 when I went back (didn't get to a game, but watched at the bars on the mile for games 5-7 of the finals).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad