Post-Game Talk: Recast Tippett

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Does make you wonder because the bottom 6 that year was what?

Pouliot Letestu Kassian
Slepyshev Caggiula (?) Pitlick (?)
Hendricks

I know they added Desharnais but that was at the trade deadine, who was even playing 4C before that? I think it was Caggiula some times.

And what about this bottom 6 is so magical? Letestu had a really good year but still.
Cam Talbot was co-MVP that year
He covered up a ton of warts

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Did Cam Talbot prevent 70 goals against when the bottom 6 were on?

This bottom 6 is on pace to give up 100 GA. That collection of super elite bottom 6 guys (with Desharnais as the elite 3C after the TDL) gave up 31 GA. All due respect to Cam, that can’t all be due to him

Reactions: CycloneSweep

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I have to admit that going into the season I thought our bottom 6 had improved from the prior year. But I also thought that going into last season. And likely the season before. Gotta be right one of these years. ;) But seriously, it shouldn't be that difficult to identify and sign three cheap energy players that don't bleed goals against. The fact that we can't casts continuing doubts about our pro scouting.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I have to admit that going into the season I thought our bottom 6 had improved from the prior year. But I also thought that going into last season. And likely the season before. Gotta be right one of these years. ;) But seriously, it shouldn't be that difficult to identify and sign three cheap energy players that don't bleed goals against. The fact that we can't casts continuing doubts about our pro scouting.

Maybe someday they can grab a few guys that have goal differentials of around +30 to offset the super amazing system employed by the coaching staff. That might just do the trick

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
You posted it and even realized there would be push back. When you state that players like McDrai are the worst at getting set and prepared and starting games you know there is going to be pushback. Drai didn't have this issue in first dozen games this season. he was establishing tones regularly. I'm telling you that right now he has trouble even dressing or starting games. Takes awhile to even get moving after the punishment he's taking. You can easily see it that he is playing through injuries and that he never comes out of the lineup. Night after night he gets big minutes and big responsibilities on ice and just has to shoulder it.

McD has to summon super human effort, break speeds, push those cheat codes on a dime every night or people call him out. Its people wanting "Air Jordan" every night or they're call it out.

Its despicable. imo.

Certainly we can discuss player attributes, play, areas of improvement. You were specifically calling out the players and read back your post to see how one could get that message from your post.

Are you speculating that Drai's banged up based on the abuse he takes or have you heard this through a source? I'm not asking you to disclose the source; I'm just curious if this is speculation based on your observations or an actual report from an inside source.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Absolutely. Talbot was as good here as Roloson. lost in all these coaching discussions is that we have subpar goaltending. Especially with Smith out all year.

I mean if anybody had said preseason that we would be riding Koski and Skinner all the way to Xmas and maybe beyond, everybody would take up drinking. Somehow we're surviving this and several D out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Was it though based on merit at the time? Talbot lost it here. Couldn’t keep him. He had to bounce around and rebuild himself.

He was bad but I think he was owed some leash. He did get the team to within one game of the Conference Finals and was a Vezina finalist, and was coming off the birth of twins which must've been draining at home.

I dunno how you just fall that hard for a KHL goalie after only 20 games that weren't even that good.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He was bad but I think he was owed some leash. He did get the team to within one game of the Conference Finals and was a Vezina finalist, and was coming off the birth of twins which must've been draining at home.

I dunno how you just fall that hard for a KHL goalie after only 20 games that weren't even that good.
Not defending the contract but Koskinen was distinctly better at the time. Cam needed to go through 2 other organizations before finally re establishing himself as a starter with his 3rd.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not defending the contract but Koskinen was distinctly better at the time. Cam needed to go through 2 other organizations before finally re establishing himself as a starter with his 3rd.

I agree he was better, but Talbot was already back to .919 goaltending the very next season in Calgary.

He was really bad in 18-19, but the Oilers as a group were awful too.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I miss

Khaira Haas Chiasson

lol

While I thought that they upgraded the 3rd line this offseason (???), I’ve said many times that they definitively downgraded the 4th line. It was very strange, considering the slightly-below-average-but-Bonafide 4th liners we had were 900k-types, easy to retain if one wished to. We just chose to downgrade there and it never made any sense. Why NOT Khaira? Hard to find a good reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad