Rebuild Thread III: Buckle up, new season starts NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You can both claim the 5 propects will never amount to anything. But no one will know for years. Remember it took Steen 10 years to peak.

But one thing you cannot argue on. Leafs focused on a player that could play right now by giving up some future.

This is a fundamental change to what Shanahan preached when the season ended. No short cuts.

Now again, who am I to argue with Lou, Babcock, and Shanahan. Smart hockey people.

This is nothing but sheer hyperbole to suggest that bringing in an average 3rd liner means that the "plan has changed".

When the team starts moving out 1st round picks for vets you may have a point, but as of present this is in line with what the current management regime has been doing for some time - which is giving away garbage prospects of the failed Burke/Nonis era - Biggs, Broll, Devane, Ashton, ect, ect. They value contract spots. And guys like Finn were wasting them (at least in the eyes of Lou/Dubas/Shanahan).

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Steen was an NHLer while only Beck played in the NHL of the five. It is true that Finn and others are late bloomers but they could also be players who just won't make it to the NHL.

There is no doubt that Grabner improves the Leafs right now, but if Grabner plays well, whose to say the Leafs won't trade him and gets more picks in return. Honestly, how much did Grabner improves the Leafs? Even if he plays like his best season, how much impact would he have with the Leafs.

If the Leafs kept Grabner after the TDL bc he was playing good, then I would admit that Leafs are in win now mode. But if he stays bc he was crap, then Leafs just did Islanders a favour by helping them with cap space.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I like how Lou is managing, and he obviously has the approval of Shanny as well as the trust. I am sure Babcock is working both men what he wants here.

Anyone that knows these guys, knows they want to make the playoffs. Last year we added Winnik and Santa. They were our most consistent players. I wouldn't underestimate any signing we made this summer. This team will win as a collective as opposed to relying on Kessel to carry us. They may surprise with this approach.

I like what Lou is doing to. It's the interpretation of his moves where you diverge from everyone else's opinion on why he's made the moves he's made.

Of course they want to make the playoffs. You'd rather have a management team that preaches winning and instilling a winning culture unlike what Edmonton has been doing prior to their front office overhaul. However, just because they want to win and Babcock is going to do whatever it takes coaching wise to do so doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
This is nothing but sheer hyperbole to suggest that bringing in an average 3rd liner means that the "plan has changed".

Clearly our friend here became overly accustomed to Nonis' big offseason splashes. I'm not talking about his belly flops at the pool, but rather acquisitions like Clarkson and Bolland who were trotted out like a prize heifer.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Trading youth, potential and the future for proven older 3rd line players.

~win now by sacrificing some future.

Do not ask me to explain this to you again. I'm not wasting another keystroke on this.

So which one of these prospects compares favourably to Steen? Rask? Stralman?

Which one played 4 seasons in Toronto? 2 season? When was Gibson a top goaltending prospect?

Your comparisons are complete garbage. You literally took the best young players (not even prospects) the Leafs traded away and tried to make some kind of connection to this trade.

You've been posting the same garbage in every thread. Oh look the Leafs did something, must mean they're straying from the plan. Oh look the Leafs hired a new janitor, who was part of the Kings organization when they won the cup, must mean they've abandoned the rebuild.

Either Shanahan has changed/accelerated his plan every time he makes a signing/trade/hiring or you don't understand what the plan is about. Wonder which is more likely.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

When the team starts moving out 1st round picks for vets you may have a point, but as of present this is in line with what the current management regime has been doing for some time - which is giving away garbage prospects of the failed Burke/Nonis era - Biggs, Broll, Devane, Ashton, ect, ect. They value contract spots. And guys like Finn were wasting them (at least in the eyes of Lou/Dubas/Shanahan).

Just have to point out. In the 6 years Nonis and Burke were here. They had 6 first rd picks. One per year. That's on par with Shanahan.

Further we did trade youth/future to improve the present team. This is a change from the deals at the deadline and summer when scorched earth was cited. Where proven players were dealt for picks/prospects.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Grabner makes us a playoff team.

We gave up the future for him.

We will re-sign him and not trade him for picks at the TDL.

The 2 PTOs we will sign with the contract spots we now have will not be traded for picks at the TDL.

We are in win-now mode.

Am I doing it right?

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
Or we can look at the obvious. Leafs are trying to ice a competitive team. Grabner is not a prospect, he is ready now. So Leafs spent some future on a NHL ready player because they believe they can win now or they may think this team is better than what it was under Horachek. Why is this so hard to believe?

Trading youth, potential and the future for proven older 3rd line players.

~win now by sacrificing some future.

Do not ask me to explain this to you again. I'm not wasting another keystroke on this.

Like I said in the other thread:

It's not that hard of a concept to understand.

How hard could it possibly be to see the logic behind getting rid of 5 prospects that the team determined were not part of the future, for an asset that can be flipped at the deadline?

Minutes before the trade was announced on twitter Lamoriello did a live media scrum and was asked about his reasoning behind the trade:

Lou: "Also with the number of contracts that went back, it allows us to do other things at the right time."

Reporter: "What kind of other things... Are you talking about next summer?"

Lou: "You never know. We were pretty tight on contracts and we don't know what might come available. It gives you the opportunity to do just the reverse should that come about of what we did today, depending upon the availability. You always want to have the availabilty to do anything and everything."

That's as clear cut as it gets. If you still don't understand the logic and reasoning behind this move, then there's nothing more that can be said that will enlighten your mind.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think we love the Leafs too much. This is such a little thing in the big picture and yet people like to treat this like the Gilmour trade.
When we look back in a few years time, the Leafs are contenders, we will be like, Grabner who?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I think we love the Leafs too much. This is such a little thing in the big picture and yet people like to treat this like the Gilmour trade.
When we look back in a few years time, the Leafs are contenders, we will be like, Grabner who?

I get your point

but what I don't want to do is, have reason to look back at this trade because one of those kids turned into something

something this organisation has a very long and extremely tarnished reputation and track record at.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I get your point

but what I don't want to do is, have reason to look back at this trade because one of those kids turned into something

something this organisation has a very long and extremely tarnished reputation and track record at.

we might regret moving one or two but we also might look back and say it gave us the available contract space to acquire someone who may turn into something

time will tell and for now we just have to trust the new mgmt team who's evaluating these prospects and hope they do a much better job than the previous ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad