Confirmed with Link: Reaves re-signs with VGK 2 year deal ($2.775m AAV)

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
W. T. F....I thought that 2.7 was total over two years and I thought that was fair.

This is just terribad. At least it’s only two years so his possible buy out isn’t too costly after next season.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
$2.7M isn't all that bad, and the scale isn't linear lol. It's all good, and I'm glad he's coming back tbh.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
$2.7M isn't all that bad, and the scale isn't linear lol. It's all good, and I'm glad he's coming back tbh.

How does Bellemare get 1.45 for one year and Reaves gets this? Bellemare is a better 4th liner on the same line and a center.

Or Engelland, despite all his faults more talented and important to the team than Reaves (and a hometown guy to boot) get 1.7 for one year?

I was fine to have him back, for two years even, at half that, at most. This is a bad deal and doesn't give me hope McPhee can do a better job when the numbers get much more damaging for mistakes.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
This can't be right. This is decent 3rd liner money and Reaves is a depth 4th liner. I rather bring back Neal on a dumb deal than this. Reaves didn't perform good enough to warrant this amount of money

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Interesting. Sounds like we matched the highest bid.

The Oilers gave a similar contract to Zack Kassian after a revelatory playoff performance, and he promptly turned into a giant sack of crap.

Reaves is a far better agitator and fighter, but my spidey sense is going haywire.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
W. T. F....I thought that 2.7 was total over two years and I thought that was fair.

This is just terribad. At least it’s only two years so his possible buy out isn’t too costly after next season.

You don't waste a buyout on this contract. You save a buyout for a long term, big money deal that is weighing down the team's cap AKA Bobby Ryan if he's traded to us. This is just a short term stupid deal. I'm still hoping it's not true. Maybe it's time more people give the scouting department credit for this team and less to GMGM.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
You don't waste a buyout on this contract. You save a buyout for a long term, big money deal that is weighing down the team's cap. This is just a short term stupid deal. I'm still hoping it's not true. Maybe it's time more people give the scouting department credit for this team and less to GMGM.

I mean, he definitely didn't TRY to ice a Cup competitive team this year. That just happened. Everyone thought this team was worth 75-80 points and selling off Neal and Perron and hopefully getting an extra 1st. Playoffs in 3, Cup in 6 seem to confirm this. Plus, they took deals to not grab better players in the expansion fraft.

So I don't know if I would say this year actually looks well on him as a GM. It went the opposite way he saw it going. He was wrong, but wrong to our benefit during the first season.

The Tatar panic trade, this deal, his questionable decisions with the Caps, I mean, I don't want to lose McCrimmon to someone else and hand out bad contracts and refuse to budge on trades that might make the team better.

It's one contract, and only 1.3-ish wasted for two years. But it doesn't seem like McPhee has tempered his bad habits.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I've always been skeptical of him, but hoped he changed after his failures in DC. He still makes bad trade deadline moves. I hope Tatar proves me wrong on this. The Tatar deal was done at the last minute when the EK deal fell apart and had no leverage as Detroit smelled desperation. Without Tatar, I would have been ok with taking on a possible bad deal like Neal or JVR. Tatar and now Reaves just chips away at cap space.

Some will say it's only 2 years so it's no big deal but it is. If there's teams that want to trade off highly paid assets that they don't need and we could use, we might not be able to make a deal unless we find a 3rd team to dump some money on. Just like how we helped the pens out with brassard.

If GMGM stops pissing money away, there's room for ROR, EK, and Bobby Ryan and paying our core for years to come. Soon VGK might be up at the roof if they don't manage the cap properly. You can't just throw away money. Guys that are better and playing a bigger role than Reaves will ask for more than him. Aging players like Fleury, Engelland, and Bellemare will all look for high aav deals with us next season if this keeps up.

If GMGM was going to pay Reaves this much, I would have rather him offered it to DSP. You know, someone with actual skills.

Last edited:

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Several fans are letting Ken at sinbin have it. It's obvious that it's him trying to justify Reaves getting paid. Like I said, there's room for a good local hockey blog here run by someone with good hockey knowledge. Jason is ok, but Ken is f***ing awful. My girlfriend has the same amount of hockey knowledge than him, maybe more.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Several fans are letting Ken at sinbin have it. It's obvious that it's him trying to justify Reaves getting paid. Like I said, there's room for a good local hockey blog here run by someone with good hockey knowledge. Jason is ok, but Ken is ****ing awful. My girlfriend has the same amount of hockey knowledge than him, maybe more.

I had to unfollow him on Twitter & IG. He was too much.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
eh, I'm not worried about money.

Term is key.
On principle, it's stupid. He gets an extra 1 m for getting the tip in to send us to the Finals. You don't pay fourth liners that kind of money unless your team is so stacked that your fourth liners are 20-30 point guys.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
On principle, it's stupid. He gets an extra 1 m for getting the tip in to send us to the Finals. You don't pay fourth liners that kind of money unless your team is so stacked that your fourth liners are 20-30 point guys.
McPhee still thinks we need that tough guy as part of the toolbox.

Like I said, I'm not super worried about the money. GMGM's got plenty of space and (apparently) no internal cap.

We need to make sure we've still got space when it comes time to pay the young kids, though. Force the window open for the next 1-3 years and have enough space to keep Glass/Hague/etc around when it's time to pay.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Like I said, I'm not super worried about the money. GMGM's got plenty of space and (apparently) no internal cap.

We need to make sure we've still got space when it comes time to pay the young kids, though. Force the window open for the next 1-3 years and have enough space to keep Glass/Hague/etc around when it's time to pay.
Well Glass and Hague won't need contracts until 3 years after they start playing. That's not my concern.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

It's not good for future negotiations and helps to drive up the prices for 4th liners. How is he getting almost twice as much as Bellemare for twice as long?!

You can find a tough guy with some skill and sign them for 1.5M less, especially if you're willing to give them two years. No need to waste that cap space on things you don't have to just because you have it.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It's not good for future negotiations and helps to drive up the prices for 4th liners. How is he getting almost twice as much as Bellemare for twice as long?!

You can find a tough guy with some skill and sign them for 1.5M less, especially if you'rewilling to give them two years. No need to waste that cap space on things you don't have to just because you have it.
I'd pay Belly too much for shorter term too. There's no need to do it, but I feel like having cap flexibility in 3-5 years is more important than not overpaying a guy this year or next.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I'd pay Belly too much for shorter term too. There's no need to do it, but I feel like having cap flexibility in 3-5 years is more important than not overpaying a guy this year or next.

I feel like this is a flawed argument. If you make this argument because we sign Stastny for bigger money that's one thing but not Reaves.

If they paid a Perron or Neal like 7M, 2 years that's the type of deal for that argument. Not 4th line grinders almost 3M. We would never have to pay anything close to that in three years to be competitive and shouldn't have now.

You never need to spend over 1.3M (and certainly not 2.8M) for a guy who plays 8 minutes a night and may spend 1/3 of the season in the press box and get you single digit points. We don't save money year 3, we waste a million of it in year 1 and 2.

Reactions: Pirate Deadpool

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I feel like this is a flawed argument. If you make this argument because we sign Stastny for bigger money that's one thing but not Reaves.

If they paid a Perron or Neal like 7M, 2 years that's the type of deal for that argument. Not 4th line grinders almost 3M. We would never have to pay anything close to that in three years to be competitive and shouldn't have now.

You never need to spend over 1.3M (and certainly not 2.8M) for a guy who plays 8 minutes a night and may spend 1/3 of the season in the press box and get you single digit points. We don't save money year 3, we waste a million of it in year 1 and 2.
I get what you're saying, I just don't think it matters.

If Foley doesn't care, I don't care. Sign the best guys you can and keep them if they fit while you've got the dough. They obviously like Reaves enough to overpay him for less term and didn't like Perron enough to do the same. Perron going 4x4 is surprising to me, I would have assumed he'd want some more term. There must be something else working in the room the explains both moves.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I get what you're saying, I just don't think it matters.

If Foley doesn't care, I don't care. Sign the best guys you can and keep them if they fit while you've got the dough. They obviously like Reaves enough to overpay him for less term and didn't like Perron enough to do the same. Perron going 4x4 is surprising to me, I would have assumed he'd want some more term. There must be something else working in the room the explains both moves.

I suppose but we do have Theodore, Miller and Karlsson this year and Tuch next year due raises.

If we really want EK (and Ryan) and are trying to re-sign Neal...it gets real tight these two years unless some money is moving out too.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I suppose but we do have Theodore, Miller and Karlsson this year and Tuch next year due raises.

If we really want EK (and Ryan) and are trying to re-sign Neal...it gets real tight these two years unless some money is moving out too.
I think Stastny replaces Perron or Neal by moving Haula to the wing. Plus, Tuch is a 2nd liner now, so there's the top two lines.

If Ryan and EK come, then we've got some shuffling to do. We've also still got Glass if he comes out to play, Hyka, Pirri, guys like that. And the 4th line is solidified now.

I think we're fine, and paying a $1MM/year premium to have a guy you already like for only two years doesn't seem like a huge issue in my eyes. Honestly, I'd likely be willing to overpay every solid 4th liner that I like and fits the team extra money for less term if I was a GM.

Reactions: Supermassive

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think Stastny replaces Perron or Neal by moving Haula to the wing. Plus, Tuch is a 2nd liner now, so there's the top two lines.

If Ryan and EK come, then we've got some shuffling to do. We've also still got Glass if he comes out to play, Hyka, Pirri, guys like that. And the 4th line is solidified now.

I think we're fine, and paying a $1MM/year premium to have a guy you already like for only two years doesn't seem like a huge issue in my eyes. Honestly, I'd likely be willing to overpay every solid 4th liner that I like and fits the team extra money for less term if I was a GM.

So shuffling would be Eakin gone, wouldn't it? I don't see anyone else besides him and Tatar who we would feel comfortable moving who would make enough difference cap wise.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
So shuffling would be Eakin gone, wouldn't it? I don't see anyone else besides him and Tatar who we would feel comfortable moving who would make enough difference cap wise.
I'd keep Eakin at 3C, Tatar on the wing, Carp/whoever on the other wing.

The only one really moving would be Haula from 2C to his natural LW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad