Reasons we won't go far in playoffs

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
1. Coaching
2. Even Strength scoring
3. Which Rene Bourque, Alex Emelin and Lars Eller will show up?
4. Secondary scoring.

Coaching is way over rated. Therrien should just stay out of the way. Habs coached themselves to a cup in 86, as Perron was useless. Therrien will do more damage than good this PO, just as most NHL coaches will. Glorified cheerleaders. Let the players run the play.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
They are currently without Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Stephen Weiss, Dan Cleary, Jonathan Ericsson and Justin Abdelkader. Darren Helm missed the vast majority of the season to injury. Johan Franzen missed a significant portion, as did Mikael Samuelsson and Todd Bertuzzi. Almost all relevant players on their team have missed significant time due to injury. In fact, only 2 or 3 of the players on their entire roster have been able to play every game this season. It's crazy. I think it's safe to say Detroit isn't struggling because they lack physicality...

Maybe the fact that they're injured all the time means they do lack physicality, IE: Durablity. The NHL is getting younger, and durability is a huge factor in the game now.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Some of you servery underrate this team. Will this team win the cup? No they won't, but we can do some damage in the playoffs. The reasons are.

1) Carey Price
2) The return of Josh Gorges. Yes most of us like to rag on the guy, and sometimes he deserves it but him and PK play well together. It allows PK to do his thing. PK playing with Bouillon does not.
3) Sophomore Experience. Guys like Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinner all have experience from last year, albeit 5 games, but guys on Tampa who we are most likely playing have little to no experience. Kilhorn, Palat, Johnson, Bishop (biggest factor here), Hedman was used sparingly in their run, Stamkos has not been in the playoffs in 3 years.
4) Veteran experience. Moen,Prust,Gionta,Subban,Price,Pleks,Vanek, Bourque, Briere etc...

Im not saying we will the cup, but we have a good chance of winning a round, and if we do we will play Boston, who we know we can beat.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
What's funny is that these whiners can't lose unless we win the Stanley Cup. No matter when the habs get ousted from the playoffs (we it is way more likely than winning it all) they'll come back and say "I told you so" and push their size and toughness point.

Not that it has no merit, it's the constant repetition despite a pretty season and a nice little run that becomes so annoying. That and the refusal to admit anything positive regarding the Habs.

The funny thing, is that the Habs outplayed ottawa in 3 out of the 5 games in that series. Anderson playing like superman, Price and Prust getting hurt and Zibenjads soccer goal really changed the series. Also Budaj's flub in OT really did not help.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Who gives a **** about a regular season record against Boston? If you think this team stands up to physical play, you're either a homer or simply don't watch the games. Ottawa had no business dominating us last year, but they did. Why? Because of their size and physicality. But people here still think a few injuries is what did us in. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

We got dismantled out west but people think it's because Price was injured. :laugh::laugh:

Habs were the better team in many games we lost against Ottawa... with a bit more luck and less injuries, that series could've gone very differently and everyone knows it.

Also, I honestly think there are very few people on these boards more immature than you. Stop embarrassing yourself...

Forget about the Red Wings...

Bottom line is this: Physicality and size matters and it is a weakness for us.

I agree that size is certainly still an issue for us, but not as bad as it once was.

Maybe the fact that they're injured all the time means they do lack physicality, IE: Durablity. The NHL is getting younger, and durability is a huge factor in the game now.

Interesting point. I hadn't thought of it like that. To be fair, only a couple players on our roster get consistently injured, but I'm sure it also isn't just a coincidence that it's usually fourth line players.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Some of you servery underrate this team. Will this team win the cup? No they won't, but we can do some damage in the playoffs. The reasons are.

1) Carey Price
2) The return of Josh Gorges. Yes most of us like to rag on the guy, and sometimes he deserves it but him and PK play well together. It allows PK to do his thing. PK playing with Bouillon does not.
3) Sophomore Experience. Guys like Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinner all have experience from last year, albeit 5 games, but guys on Tampa who we are most likely playing have little to no experience. Kilhorn, Palat, Johnson, Bishop (biggest factor here), Hedman was used sparingly in their run, Stamkos has not been in the playoffs in 3 years.
4) Veteran experience. Moen,Prust,Gionta,Subban,Price,Pleks,Vanek, Bourque, Briere etc...

Im not saying we will the cup, but we have a good chance of winning a round, and if we do we will play Boston, who we know we can beat.

Agreed. With how wide-open the East is, the Habs have a legitimate chance at getting to conference finals and even Stanley Cup finals. Does anyone honestly think we can't take any of these teams in the playoffs? We have a very legitimate shot against any team in the East.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

1) Carey Price

All those I can see except Gorges. He was the absolute worst player on the ice in last year's playoffs against a garbage Sens team. He doesn't and won't make any difference.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
All those I can see except Gorges. He was the absolute worst player on the ice in last year's playoffs against a garbage Sens team. He doesn't and won't make any difference.

But having him in the lineup instead of Bouillon drastically changes the composition of the team. It allows PK to open up a bit more which he can not do when playing with Frankie.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011

You have to admit that Gorges had a rough year last year. He's been much better this year, and he is a better player than guys like Bouillon and Murray. Having him in the line-up improves our defence drastically.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
But having him in the lineup instead of Bouillon drastically changes the composition of the team. It allows PK to open up a bit more which he can not do when playing with Frankie.
Ya I'll give you that. Better than having Bouillon for 24 min!

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

:laugh:

How little do you know hockey? Really? All you complain about is Gorges when he's in a purely defensive role and his performance highly depends on his partner and scheme at all times anyway.

Last year we were out coached in every which way because of our swarm-style defense - if you honestly know anything about hockey tactics you'd know this. We were over-run because the Sens forwards played the body on the forecheck and caused all sorts of disarray in our end.

Gorges isn't some stick-wielding wizard or a a tactical, positional rock but he plays his position really well and would slot in ANY top3 in the league. It's just a very unforgiving role in which he's only visible whenever he makes a mistake.

Want to see bad hockey IQ? Bouillon. Everything he does is bad from a positional sense but he somehow, sometimes, makes up for it by his above-average mobility. Last night he went for a scenic stroll behind Price while there were 3 Red Wings barrelling down down low. Just a terrible hockey player.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Objectively speaking, the Habs are not one of the elite teams. If they upset a higher ranking team it'll be because Price is markedly better than the opposing goaltender or they get lucky. This could happen if the Habs play the Penguins.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011

How little do you know hockey? Really? All you complain about is Gorges when he's in a purely defensive role and his performance highly depends on his partner and scheme at all times anyway.

Last year we were out coached in every which way because of our swarm-style defense - if you honestly know anything about hockey tactics you'd know this. We were over-run because the Sens forwards played the body on the forecheck and caused all sorts of disarray in our end.

Gorges isn't some stick-wielding wizard or a a tactical, positional rock but he plays his position really well and would slot in ANY top3 in the league. It's just a very unforgiving role in which he's only visible whenever he makes a mistake.

Want to see bad hockey IQ? Bouillon. Everything he does is bad from a positional sense but he somehow, sometimes, makes up for it by his above-average mobility. Last night he went for a scenic stroll behind Price while there were 3 Red Wings barrelling down down low. Just a terrible hockey player.

WhiskeySeven! Very good post. I agree with everything you just said.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Objectively speaking, the Habs are not one of the elite teams. If they upset a higher ranking team it'll be because Price is markedly better than the opposing goaltender or they get lucky. This could happen if the Habs play the Penguins.

The only team that the Habs can't beat is philly. The habs can beat Boston, Pittsburgh, Rangers, Tampa etc...

And the only way we would play philly is if we make it to the conference finals, which I can see as a possibility.Given that the east is so weak, and that we have boston's number in the regular season and playoffs.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

LOL top 3 on any team...my god!. He wouldn't even make the top 6 of some contending teams to be honest. He's nothing more than a #5 or #6 defenseman. Occasionally on the odd night he can play like #3 or #4, that's when the Habs look really good. But when he gets back to being himself, which is a bottom pairing defenseman on most nights, that's when the team has trouble because the drop off from #1 and #2 is huge. He's a better option than having bouillon, but in no way does he make a difference between this team winning or losing.

I'm still laughing at him being able to slot in any top 3 in the league, I have to admit that's a good one!

Last edited:

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
I think MT has finally put the right players in the top 6 up front. The Vanek addition correctly pushes guys like Bourque/Briere/Gionta out of the top 6, and it's no coincidence that those 3 players have looked better on the 3rd line. Briere has also looked good at center and hasn't been a liability defensively since he's flanked by two solid defensive wingers (yes Bourque). Eller now playing 4th line center is a luxury, and he's looked as good as he has in a while, and despite Moen/Prust/Weise out the 4th line has been really good. Plekanec with Gallagher and without Gionta has resulted in Pleks putting up 6 points over his last 7 games, which is a huge boost to the team with 5 of those points coming 5 on 5. Having Galchenyuk with Plekanec also has the added long term bonus of him facing tough opposition and he will get better defensively. I'd dare say this team is next in line in terms of offensive depth behind Pitt/Boston.

Once Gorges comes back the top 4 on D will feel like it's adding a hall of famer to the group. I'd personally go Markov/PK 25mins a game and let opposing teams deal with that and have Emelin/Gorges as the 2nd unit. Weaver makes the 3rd pairing better, so whether it be Murray or Tinordi it should be ok. I'm gonna pay Murray a compliment and point out he's been just a -2 since Jan. 1, and in the playoffs where we all know the game gets a little tighter and less free flowing he'll survive more so than he has during the season. I'd rather have Beaulieu/Weaver, but that's not gonna happen.

This team has the potential to go to the 3rd round even if it means facing Tbay then Boston especially if Price plays as he's capable. They of course need to be healthy.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
The only team that the Habs can't beat is philly. The habs can beat Boston, Pittsburgh, Rangers, Tampa etc...

And the only way we would play philly is if we make it to the conference finals, which I can see as a possibility.Given that the east is so weak, and that we have boston's number in the regular season and playoffs.
I might be wrong but didn't they beat us the last 2 playoffs we met. Historically speaking Habs have the edge, but the Habs have nothing on this generation of the Bruins.

PricePkPatch*

Our team's overall chemistry is sure clicking in all the right places.

if we get motivates and hungry, I dont doubt we can take on everyone with a fighting chance. And wed be favourite in many match up.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I might be wrong but didn't they beat us the last 2 playoffs we met. Historically speaking Habs have the edge, but the Habs have nothing on this generation of the Bruins.

2011 was as close as a series can be. Three OT games (including double-OT and game-seven OT), and I think both teams had the exact same goal totals.

Plus, we were missing Pacioretty, Markov and Gorges for the entire series -- our best forward, best dman and #3 dman.

A healthy Habs team can beat Boston in the playoffs, just like we've been beating them during the last two seasons.

PricePkPatch*

This team is the closest thing wr have had to a contending for the past.. 20 years?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
LOL top 3 on any team...my god!. He wouldn't even make the top 6 of some contending teams to be honest. He's nothing more than a #5 or #6 defenseman. Occasionally on the odd night he can play like #3 or #4, that's when the Habs look really good. But when he gets back to being himself, which is a bottom pairing defenseman on most nights, that's when the team has trouble because the drop off from #1 and #2 is huge. He's a better option than having bouillon, but in no way does he make a difference between this team winning or losing.

I'm still laughing at him being able to slot in any top 3 in the league, I have to admit that's a good one!

So you're admitting that you're a hater who has no idea what tactics imply?

Don't lie: you've never played sports in your life, have you? :laugh:

edit: Adriatic is the kind of guy who'd criticize a goalie for letting in a "softie" on a 5on3 PK. He's the kind of guy who'd get mad at a d-man playing the other-man on a 2on1. Gimme a break.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
2011 was as close as a series can be. Three OT games (including double-OT and game-seven OT), and I think both teams had the exact same goal totals.

Plus, we were missing Pacioretty, Markov and Gorges for the entire series -- our best forward, best dman and #3 dman.

A healthy Habs team can beat Boston in the playoffs, just like we've been beating them during the last two seasons.

Yeah Pacioretty is our best forward NOW but back then our best players were Cammalleri, Plekanec and Gionta. Wisniewski also played through a broken hand that series and Kostitsyn had a broken foot IIRC.

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
Yeah Pacioretty is our best forward NOW but back then our best players were Cammalleri, Plekanec and Gionta. Wisniewski also played through a broken hand that series and Kostitsyn had a broken foot IIRC.

This was pacioretty at his best that year, a train along the boards, a sniper shot. Big chara monkey almost killed him then he celebrated a stanley cup a few months later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad