Reasons we won't go far in playoffs

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
This team is the closest thing wr have had to a contending for the past.. 20 years?

Montreal's current roster adds up to a Top-Six to -Ten team. We're just not as talented as Chicago, St-Louis, Los Angeles or Boston, and depending on the goaltending differential, San Jose, Anaheim, Colorado or Pittsburgh. Of those, we can (and regularly do) beat Boston, and we have a shot against Pittsburgh, Anaheim and Colorado. Slim chance against Chicago or San Jose, slimmer still against big, fast LA. We don't have a prayer against St-Louis, unless they fall apart under the pressure (their current team has minimal playoff experience).

So as others have been saying, we have a legit shot to get out of the EC, assuming the Habs are healthy and disciplined. If we manage to get that far... our fate depends on who's waiting for us on the other side.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Montreal's current roster adds up to a Top-Six to -Ten team. We're just not as talented as Chicago, St-Louis, Los Angeles or Boston, and depending on the goaltending differential, San Jose, Anaheim, Colorado or Pittsburgh. Of those, we can (and regularly do) beat Boston, and we have a shot against Pittsburgh, Anaheim and Colorado. Slim chance against Chicago or San Jose, slimmer still against big, fast LA. We don't have a prayer against St-Louis, unless they fall apart under the pressure (their current team has minimal playoff experience).

So as others have been saying, we have a legit shot to get out of the EC, assuming the Habs are healthy and disciplined. If we manage to get that far... our fate depends on who's waiting for us on the other side.
But what are your expectations? Saying we have a legit shot coming out of the east isn't saying much, because everybody has a legit shot in the east if you look at it that way.

Avengers*

I can feel the magic. this spring will be very special. reminds me of 2010.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
But what are your expectations? Saying we have a legit shot coming out of the east isn't saying much, because everybody has a legit shot in the east if you look at it that way.

Well, I think only four teams have a legit shot in the East: Boston, Pittsburgh (if Fleury's head is there), Philly (if they're hot), and us. Tampa might beat us, but I doubt they'll beat Boston.

The other eastern teams might win a round, but lack the skill and right matchup to get past the front-runners.

The key to the Habs winning is to stay mentally sharp. When they get sucked into losing their tempers, we lose (like we did against Ottawa). When their D is disorganized, we lose (lack of clearing, open slots). When Price is off, we lose (final month of last season). Talent is there, the rest comes down to focus and discipline.

So to answer your question: I expect the same hyper-awareness I see whenever we play Boston. Stubbornness in the o-zone, caution in our zone, a refusal to give up on the puck. I expect the Habs to WANT this as much as WE want them to want this. I want the Habs to win a couple of series and shut the collective traps of certain rival fans and their mindless, droning cliches. I want to ****ing win.

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
Pacioretty is a 35 goal scorer now, I don't think the Pacioretty pre-Chara was at his best ;)

I swear the 20-25 games stretch prior to this awful injury he was better than he is now, as crazy/scary as it seems. He was so good chara couldn't solve him so he went nuts and almost killed him because he had not other solutions.

PricePkPatch*

I can feel the magic. this spring will be very special. reminds me of 2010.

I personally believe 2008's pre-Playoff run was more magical. The actual playoff run was better in 2010, off course. But before? 2008 all the way. The 0-5 Rangers Comeback in February 19th fired up both the team and the fanbase. There were Habs flags all over the province.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
If I evaluate this team rationally with no bias I see this:

Top 10 Left Winger(Pacioretty)
Top 25 Winger (Vanek)
Top 10 Two Way Forward (Plekanec)
Top 5 Goalie who's seen it all (Price)
Top 10 Defenseman (Subban)
Top 5 4th line (Prust/Moen/Weise/White)
Top 45 Defenseman (Markov)
Top 45 Center (Desharnais)
Top 25 Defensive Defenseman (Gorges)
#1 Fans in the League
One of the clutchest guys in the league (Briere)
Playoff experience (Almost 800 playoffs games of experience)
Young guys who got playoff experience last year
Guys built for playoffs (Murray, Weaver, Gorges, Prust, Moen, Emelin)
3rd best PK

I don't see how Montreal can't go far with this roster.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
You guys think this team is much different than the one that got smacked around by the Sens? I don't, not with the injuries especially. Still small down the middle... blueline is iffy,

PricePkPatch*

If WE want to make any stint in the playoff, I agree that we need all of our 4 lines to contribute. There's no way around that.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
If I evaluate this team rationally with no bias I see this:

Top 10 Left Winger(Pacioretty)
Top 25 Winger (Vanek)
Top 10 Two Way Forward (Plekanec)
Top 5 Goalie who's seen it all (Price)
Top 10 Defenseman (Subban)
Top 5 4th line (Prust/Moen/Weise/White)
Top 45 Defenseman (Markov)
Top 45 Center (Desharnais)
Top 25 Defensive Defenseman (Gorges)
#1 Fans in the League
One of the clutchest guys in the league (Briere)
Playoff experience (Almost 800 playoffs games of experience)
Young guys who got playoff experience last year
Guys built for playoffs (Murray, Weaver, Gorges, Prust, Moen, Emelin)
3rd best PK

I don't see how Montreal can't go far with this roster.

Every team in the post season can stretch the truth to make your little list above...

This is almost the same team that was bullied by Ottawa, booted in the first round. Our only saving grace is Tampa isn't an overly physical team Montreal can skate with.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Every team in the post season can stretch the truth to make your little list above...

This is almost the same team that was bullied by Ottawa, booted in the first round. Our only saving grace is Tampa isn't an overly physical team Montreal can skate with.

In the east there are two really strong teams : Pittsburgh and Boston.

Pittsburgh is too banged up. They've also shown a propensity to crumble in the playoffs since they won the cup. If we were to go all the way, we wouldn't face them until the conference finals anyway which they might not even reach.

The truth is that in this conference, the only team that's a cut above us is Boston. And we seem to match up well against them and almost always find ways to exceed our shortcomings to beat them. And in a given best of 7, any team can beat any team. Especially in the first 2 rounds. It depends a lot on injuries, luck and how the games are reffed.

Considering all of this, the east is fairly wide open and the habs have what it takes to reach the SCF. I wouldn't bet the world on it, but the chances this year are higher than just about any other year in recent memory IMO.

Of course, we are by no means favorites, and we have a lot of question marks. A lot of our guys have to show they can raise their game to another level in the playoffs. But we have to stay healthy. Staying healthy will be the key.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
If the guys pull together and MT makes necessary adjustments I think we can beat the Bolts. Theirs is a friendly building for the Habs to play in, and we will be tasked with shutting down skill more than physicality.

Then there's the next step(s). Hopefully some other series will go the right way, obviously teams have a much better chance to advance when the rest of the playoff picture develops favourably for them. That big picture stuff is out of our control we'll just have to wait and see and hope.

Go Habs Go !!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad