Prospect Info: Realistic upside of Edmonton prospects?

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Draisaitl - 2nd Line Center
Nurse - 3rd best Defender, solid 2nd pairing guy
Klebfom - Stellar #4 Defender

FILLER - FILLER
Nurse - Klefbom
filler - filler

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Simpson could be a top 4 defenseman. Khaira and Yakimov could be good top 9 players.

Here's to hoping.

Nothing can be guaranteed as only Hall has shown what he'll be in the now and time to come, everyone else is a > ? < mark.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
Goalies:
- Laurent Brossoit - Backup

Defenders:
- Darnell Nurse - Elite #1 (if his offensive game translates to the NHL, otherwise elite #2)
- Oscar Klefbom - #3 defender
- Martin Marincin - #3 defender
- Dillon Simpson - #4 defender
- Martin Gernat - Sheltered #5 defender
- David Musil - #6 defender

Forwards:
- Leon Draisaitl - 2nd line C
- Bogdan Yakimov - 3rd line C
- Jujhar Khaira - 3rd line C
- Greg Chase - 3rd line RW
- Mitch Moroz - 4th line LW

If a prospect outside of this list makes the team I'm surprised as hell.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Forgot about Marty Marincin, I think he could be a good 2nd Defender; depending on how his size pans out over time.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I forget... will Khaira, Nurse and Moroz all be eligible to play in the AHL next season?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Nurse can become a #1 D in this league, and a scary one at that. A Weber/Chara/Pronger type. Perhaps it's different in the NHL, but in junior I know that it is SCARY when you're at the faceoff and you know you're up against those types of guys. You always need to be making sure you won't wake up in the hospital.

The only question I have about him is his offense.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
I forget... will Khaira, Nurse and Moroz all be eligible to play in the AHL next season?

Yeah, they've already had a couple games under there belts to take off whatever first game experience jitters they may have (Nurse, Kha). Nurse wasn't horrible in his 4 games down there, skated very well against better competition.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Goalies:
- Laurent Brossoit - Backup

Defenders:
- Darnell Nurse - Elite #1 (if his offensive game translates to the NHL, otherwise elite #2)
- Oscar Klefbom - #3 defender
- Martin Marincin - #3 defender
- Dillon Simpson - #4 defender
- Martin Gernat - Sheltered #5 defender
- David Musil - #6 defender

Forwards:
- Leon Draisaitl - 2nd line C
- Bogdan Yakimov - 3rd line C
- Jujhar Khaira - 3rd line C
- Greg Chase - 3rd line RW
- Mitch Moroz - 4th line LW

If a prospect outside of this list makes the team I'm surprised as hell.

I pretty much agree with this. My only notes would be that i'm more bullish on Brossoit (mid range NHL starter) & Moroz (3rd line winger) and more bearish on Chase (4th line).

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
taking glassbangers template, as it looks nice

this thread is called REALISTIC upside, so here goes

Goalies:
- Laurent Brossoit - AHL starter

Defenders:
- Darnell Nurse - #3 who does a bit of everything, but not tons of offence
- Oscar Klefbom - #4/5 shutdown type, with next to no offence
- Martin Marincin - #4/5
- Dillon Simpson - #6/7/AHL tweener
- Martin Gernat - #6/7/AHL tweener
- David Musil - solid AHL player

Forwards:
- Leon Draisaitl - 2nd/3rd line C, not enough offence to be great 2nd line C, not enough defence to be great 3rd line C
- Bogdan Yakimov - AHL tweener
- Jujhar Khaira - 4th line C
- Greg Chase - very good AHL guy, who maybe gets a cup of coffee
- Mitch Moroz - AHL tweener

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Obviously most of them will not reach their upsides but I see this kind of potential out of our top prospects..

Draisaitl - #1 playmaking center with 70P upside
Nurse - physical top pairing two-way defenseman, #1 unit PP
Marincin - top 4 two-way defenseman, #2 unit PP
Klefbom - top 4 shutdown defenseman that can move the puck, PK guy
Yakimov - #2 center, 50P upside (I see some similarities to Hanzal, not sure how physical/defensive he is though)
Simpson - top 4 shutdown defenseman.. very smart defensive player, PK guy
Khaira - big, gritty bottom 6 C/LW with some nastiness
Chase - bottom 6 RW that gets under the skin of the opposition
Moroz - potential power forward that can score some goals. 2nd line LW at most or energy bottom 6'er

These are the guys that are closest to making an impact IMO. From what we've seen the top 4 are safe bets to be solid NHL'ers. The rest could go either way but some nice potential in there.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If we're really being honest, probably middling players who won't amount to much.

Of them, I bet we only get NHL service out of Draisaitl, Marincin and maybe Nurse, the rest will probably only contribute to other teams.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
We'll be lucky if one of Khaira, Yakimov, Chase, Moroz, Musil or Gernat turns into an effective NHLer.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
taking glassbangers template, as it looks nice

this thread is called REALISTIC upside, so here goes

Goalies:
- Laurent Brossoit - AHL starter

Defenders:
- Darnell Nurse - #3 who does a bit of everything, but not tons of offence
- Oscar Klefbom - #4/5 shutdown type, with next to no offence
- Martin Marincin - #4/5
- Dillon Simpson - #6/7/AHL tweener
- Martin Gernat - #6/7/AHL tweener
- David Musil - solid AHL player

Forwards:
- Leon Draisaitl - 2nd/3rd line C, not enough offence to be great 2nd line C, not enough defence to be great 3rd line C
- Bogdan Yakimov - AHL tweener
- Jujhar Khaira - 4th line C
- Greg Chase - very good AHL guy, who maybe gets a cup of coffee
- Mitch Moroz - AHL tweener

I think you need to review the definition of upside..

TheNugeeToHall*

If we're really being honest, probably middling players who won't amount to much.

Of them, I bet we only get NHL service out of Draisaitl, Marincin and maybe Nurse, the rest will probably only contribute to other teams.

I'd say klebom looks to be an nhler.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Glassbanger's template:

Goalies:
- Laurent Brossoit - Back up NHL.

Defenders:
- Darnell Nurse - #2, 2 way guy.
- Oscar Klefbom - #4/5 shutdown type. A slightly better Smid.
- Martin Marincin - #2, I over value Marincin, but I love him.
- Dillon Simpson - #5, but likely on another team. AHL for us, won't crack the roster and will be traded.
- Martin Gernat - #2/3 AHL player, leaves for the KHL after a few seasons.
- David Musil - #7, will get cups when others are injured.

Forwards:
- Leon Draisaitl - 2nd line C, but will fall to 3rd line guy for his career. Won't show enough offense 5 on 5, and his foot speed will always hold him back.
- Bogdan Yakimov - 3rd line winger.
- Jujhar Khaira - 3rd/4th line center.
- Greg Chase - We all see him as the surprise guy, and I think he does it. 2nd/3rd line Marchand type player.
- Mitch Moroz - ECHL 4th liner.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Ooooh I like this thread. Good thinking.

Optimitic & Realistic

Schultz:
Optimistic #1 D-man. He will never be a franchise talent like Karlson or Chara but he absolutely has the hockey IQ to be a low end #1 in this league. 19 goals/60points in his first 122 games is far better than many Oiler fans give him credit for.
Realistic #3 D-man. A guy that can anchor the mid pairing and be a great PP specialst.

Marincin:
Optimistic #1 franchise D-man. Weight is the only thing keeping this guy from this potential. By 28 I think he will be 210-220 and dominate in every facet of the game. Has big offensive upside. Already has superb defensive positioning, skating, stick work, and passing at age 22. And has a bit of a mean streak in there as well.
Realistic #2 top pairing type. Has the draft pedigree and already is a #3 IMO in his first NHL season. He will put on weight. He is still has a long time to develop before reaching his peak. Of course he could fall apart as well but his trajectory so far has been a sky rocketing upwards arrow.

Klefbom
Optimistic #2 D-man. I don't think people realize how bad his career has been derailed by injuries. I would have said #1 franchise D-man except for how injury prone his young career has been. Has not shown enough at the AHL or NHL level to predict him busting out and becoming a sure fire #1 type.
Realistic #3/4 Solid mid pairing guy. The difference whether a #3 or 4 will be hw many more injuries this guy can wrack up.

Nurse
Optimistic #1/2 top pairing type. I love his game how raw and passionate he is but he reminds me far too much of Phanuef. A true #1 but not a Stanley cup champion franchise #1 type.
Realistic #3/4 Great mid pairing type with a mean streak
. Have not seen enough to say if he has greatness or not in him. Far too raw.

Simpson, Gernat, Musil, Davidson, Lagesson.
Optimistic #4 solid complimentary mid pairing type.
Realistic Bottom pairing type. Just playing the odds I think 1-2 of these will be NHL regulars but which one is far too early to say.

Leon
Optimistic #1 true franchise center. Most defiantly has that upside. 100 points + not exactly likely but not impossible either. One of the reason I prefer Leon to Bennet is I think he has a higher potential ceiling.
Realistic #2 center of a calibre worthy enough to win a cup with.

Pitlick, Lander, Moroz, Kharia, Slepyshev, Roy, Yakimov, Chase.
Optimistic bottom 9 forward. Every one of these guys are tracking well or has applicable skill sets but none of them have enough offense to really project to be a top 6 forward.
Realistic 4th line players. Organizations need depth to help with cap issues. Guys that can have an outstanding playoffs once and fade away or plug away in a bottom 6 role. I will be ecstatic if we get 2-3 of these guys as regular NHL players and actually have them play their time as an Oiler.

Goaltending
Too hard to predict Brossiot is tracking well but that doesn't mean anything. Could suck till 30 and then light it up. Could fall apart at the AHL. Not worth even a real write up.

EDIT: As someone else mentioned there is a distinct possibility that some of our prospects end up playing their best hockey somewhere else. Lesser talented forwards with great work ethics take till 25-28 to become NHL regulars and then only last a few years at that level. Lesser talented Defensemen take till 28-30 to become solid NHL worthy players. Goaltenders can be 35 before "breaking into the NHL".

I have a feeling Lander is going suck again this year. Head over to Eruo until free of the Oilers organization and then come back to the NHL as a Detroit Red Wing and help them win a cup or something.

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Edit:ratings are best cast scenarios to worst case(barring a collapse or injury.

F's

Yakimov=good shutdown #2C(Hanzel-ish) to great shutdown #4C(Boyle)
Khaira=good 3rd line size+scoring(Pouliot) to great ahler
Draisaitl=dominant #1C(Kopitar) to good #2 point machine(Ribero)
Chase=decent 3rd liner(Chimera) with great wrister or in Europe
Moroz=decent 3rd line winger with size and some offensive punch(S.Clutterbuck-ish) or retired

D

Nurse=dominant #1D(pronger) to great shutdown #3(Hjalmerson), depending on how his O translates to the NHL
Klefbom=Solid possession #3(edler) to great top 4(Oduya).
Marincin=elite shutdown #3(Seidenberg) to great shutdown #5
Simpson=decent #4/#5 tweener to career ahler
Musil=good shutdown #6/#7 or in Europe
Gernat=good shutdown #6/#7 or in Europe

G
Brossoit=solid backup(Reimer) to career ahler

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Draisaitl's ceiling is higher than a no.2 center.

Forget the size stuff, his vision on the ice is really at an high end level, unteachable stuff.

He will be the best Oilers center other than RNH in the last 20 years IMO, and honestly I wouldn't be that stunned if he turns out to be basically just as good as RNH if not better. Just needs to get his skating up a notch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad