Speculation: Realistic destination teams that will be able to afford both UFA Draisaitl(2025) and McDavid(2026)?

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I actually came here to say this. They will have cap space for both and could trade JT comphere or buyout to fit mcdavid in. The reason why I think Detroit as well is yzerman is well respected by players. Detroit used to be a power house and could be a power house again. Also, Detroit is close to Toronto where mcdavid is from.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Why would anyone want to sign both? Because it's worked so well when they had lower cap hits? Without cap circumventing and rookie/discount contracts, I don't think you can win with what will probably be the top 2 paid players.

For who could do it and be successful for a year or two, any team that's coming out of their rebuild and have a lot of impact rookies coming up and lots of cap space. So maybe Sharks depending on how the next draft or two go?

Lukus

Feb 4, 2009
Ottawa
I suppose if Ottawa wanted to, they could make it work. Would Stutzle, Batherson, Chabot and two 1st get her done? With Giroux, Tarasenko and 2,6M of dead cap coming off the books soon, we can squeeze them in I think.

Can you imagine this top 6...
Tkachuk - McDavid - Draisaitl
Grieg - Norris - Joseph

The loss of Chabot would create a hole in our Top 4 but if Kleven is ready soon, then we're fine.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
The Kings have been structuring their contracts in such a way that they could chase after Draisaitl and Matthews for a while. Matthews is off the table for now.

The Lightning is also gonna let Stamkos walk if they think they can get Draisaitl.

McDavid ends up in Toronto
I think McDavid tries his luck south of the border. Leaving Edmonton he will have his fill of crazed Canadian markets even though he’s from the Toronto area.

Would love to see either in Tampa, but it would take some serious salary gymnastics (especially for McDavid)

It would be nice to see Stammer re-sign dirt cheap for another chance at a 3rd or more Cups. If his asking price doesn’t make sense for their cap situation then it is probably wise that they part ways.

Last edited:

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They aren't leaving, but the Flyers could make Edmonton sweat in McDavid's UFA year, if Danny so chose. We have way too much money locked up through Drai's FA year, but by McDavid's, presuming only short-term contracts between now and then, our only commitments for the 26-27 year:

Couturier - $7.75M through 29-30
Farabee - $5M through 27-28
Sanheim - $6.25M through 30-31
Ristolainen - $5.1M through 26-27
Ellis (have I mentioned recently that I hate Chuck Fletcher?) - $6.25M through 26-27

We can expect new deals for Tippett, Brink, Cates, Foerster, York, Zamula, either Hart or Ersson, looking at Gauthier, Andrae, probably Attard and Bonk, of the kids, so there will be some young, developing talent there, but they'll all be on ELC or similarly early deals, so not taking up large chunks of cap.

Obviously there will be deals signed between now and then, but at the moment, the Flyers could add McDavid for whatever he demands, with an ELC Michkov on his wing.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
If the Sharks can draft/develop well the next 2/3 years they will have the cap space to do it. Hasso Plattner has allowed his GMS to throw big money at FAs before. Obviously it's not an ideal place to sign right now though lol

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Can't see the Oilers trading either player, they'll ride them both to the end.

There is ZERO chance they will ride them to the end and get nothing. ZERO.

With Jackson at the helm, he will know the inner machinations of both of their plans. The organization is literally planning EVERYTHING around them and that means in the stay or go scenario. There will be a mutually agreed decision point for each of them (it may not be the same date given contract mismatch), but they will need to make the decision.

Most likely you see Drai re-upped this year with the gentleman's agreement that if McD decides not to re-up next summer, Oilers will trade them both when McD still has one season on the clock (ie summer 2025).

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
There will be a line of teams for either player. The separation will come from those that can afford to do bonus-laden contracts.

Let's say the upper range stays at $16.7 million, teams like Toronto, Montreal, NY Rangers, will be at the front of the line of teams that can easily handle bonus cheques every July 1 of $15 million.

Reactions: Fatass

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
The interesting question will be...will these guys take a discount to sign with an immediate Cup contender when the time comes, or will they sign with a team they think has the brightest future and is willing to pay top dollar?

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
By the time that Connor is a UFA the cap will be past 90 million and a team that wants him will make space if they have to. That being said I look forward to seeing Matthews, Marner and McDavid together on the PP in Toronto :cool:

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The Oilers would be stupid not to trade them if either of them is not willing to sign an extension. It will depend what the cap is at that point as well. I think the Oilers are the only team with a reasonable chance of signing both of them. They are also free agents different years which makes it more unlikely a team could sign them both as free agents. If they both leave it will be to different teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00