Speculation: Realistic destination teams that will be able to afford both UFA Draisaitl(2025) and McDavid(2026)?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Edmonton won't be trading them though. Like there are players you lose and you're never going to get a return that compensates for the loss. Drai and McDavid are those guys. And if there was, there would be no way it could work for both teams.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You'd have a 30x better chance at signing McDavid if you have Draisaitl signed to your team.
I don't agree. Why would McDavid want to go back to the same formula that did nothing in the past?

Minnesota would be a realistic contender to sign either/both. Their 14.7M cap penalty ends after next year. Goalies will be inexpensive. They should have a lot of ELC talent on the team (Yurov, Ohgren, Khusnutdinov, Heidt, Lambos, Peart, ROR, Hunt), and either player would find the prospect of playing with supporting talent like Boldy, Kaprizov, Rossi, JEE appealing.

I really only think they would want(and afford comfortably) one of those players, though.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
San Jose could do it. We are going to be horrible for the next few years while accumulating high draft picks and letting bad contracts age out. If Draisaitl and McDavid wanted to come here as UFAs and lead young talent we could afford to pay them.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
San Jose could do it. We are going to be horrible for the next few years while accumulating high draft picks and letting bad contracts age out. If Draisaitl and McDavid wanted to come here as UFAs and lead young talent we could afford to pay them.
Just out of interest..... why would they want to do that?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It MIGHT get to the stage where Edmonton considers trading Draisatl. Obviously, it would cost the other team a TON...and the trade has to make the Oilers a better / more balanced team immediately.

And Draisatl has a 10 team no trade list.

And McDavid will have to approve of the players coming to the Oil.

And it sounds like a near impossible task.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It’s hard to say what teams will be good enough to even entice them to look outside Edmonton. Then figure they will come man’s about $28 mil per between the two of them. Beyond that didn’t Edmonton just hire McDavid’s agent? Hard to see them going anywhere.

Reactions: PainForShane

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The Kings have been structuring their contracts in such a way that they could chase after Draisaitl and Matthews for a while. Matthews is off the table for now.

The Lightning is also gonna let Stamkos walk if they think they can get Draisaitl.

McDavid ends up in Toronto

• Haha
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
After living and playing in Edmonton their entire careers, they will likely have had enough and retire once their contracts are up.

McDavid will own and operate a Tim Hortons.

Drai will go into public speaking.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Chicago, San Jose and Anaheim seem like the obvious locations.

As a Panthers fan, I'd offer Lundell, Bennett and Ekblad for Drai and middle 6 player with a year or two on their deal to balance salaries.

Not sure McDavid is worth gutting the entire core. It'd be Barkov likely as main piece and prefer to keep him as his defense helps even out the massive points gap between the two, along with Barkovs 10 mil cap vs McDavids eventual $15+ mil caphit.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
You don't think that teams have watched Edmonton not be able to assemble a decent enough supporting cast around these two in their primes?

Who would want to do the exact same thing with the two of them on the decline?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
hopefully anywhere but Edmonton, that organization is wasting both of these fella's careers with the way the oilers are operated

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Can't see the Oilers trading either player, they'll ride them both to the end.
Who says it going to “end” for one or both of them with the Oilers? Can’t afford both of them? Guess we’ll see but never say never for them to re-sign.

Canes could make it work with both of them, but I don't think they'd want to. Having 2 huge contracts like they would be as UFAs just isn't a recipe for team success.
Difference is that Carolina historically is a terrific defensive team but you’re probably right it would be VERY expensive to sign the both of them together!

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Oilers could afford them both. Thats probably it, although a forward thinking team could arrange their expiring cap, etc to do so. Maybe a Nashville or Anaheim, etc

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
The Kings have been structuring their contracts in such a way that they could chase after Draisaitl and Matthews for a while. Matthews is off the table for now.

The Lightning is also gonna let Stamkos walk if they think they can get Draisaitl.

McDavid ends up in Toronto
Then say bye bye to your beloved Mitch Marner. Leafs can’t afford four $12+ million players.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
If they end both end up leaving I think it's Draisaitl traded in the off season. He wouldn't be moved to a Western team, regardless of the offer.

Teams I could see table a trade for Drai would be Boston, Detroit, NYR and the Islanders.

McDavid won't be traded. Team will roll the dice that they can re-sign him or watch him leaving as a UFA to LA, Toronto or NYR.

Oilers would have to be careful with a Draisaitl trade. Has to be the right deal or you further risk McDavid walking. It's a tough position to be in. The trade needs to help the team in the now but also needs something to cover if the team blows up.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2