TV: Reacher (Amazon)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finished it last night and enjoyed it. It's not a show that'll be nominated for any Emmys, but I was sufficiently entertained. I might've enjoyed it even more if I hadn't remembered so much from the novel, but that's a compliment more than anything because it means that it's a very close adaptation.

It was refreshing to have a show centered on an unapologetically masculine hero. There are strong females, too, but the strong male isn't sidelined or made to appear weaker for their sake, as is the case in several other recent shows. The show felt very 1990s to me, mostly in a good way.

I'm looking forward to the second season. As I said in the other thread, I hope that they adapt the second novel, since that's probably my favorite. Apparently, Alan Ritchson (the star) is keen to do that one next, as well.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
In the end I thought it was a good representation on film of the first Reacher novel. Would like to see a second one done though from what I read Lee Child's review and how much he loved what they did with Roscoe and Willa Fitzgerald's performance and the same with Finlay.

He explained: ‘If I’d micromanaged this season, it would be way worse than it is because they had freedom – and two things happened.
‘Malcolm Goodwin as [detective Oscar] Finlay brought more to the show than I brought to the book. He took it further – and certainly Willa. Willa is the icing on the cake and the cherry on the top.’
Further emphasising his point, Child – who has sold more than 100 million books – added: ‘That is a better version of Roscoe than I thought of, and in a way that sucks because why didn’t I think of it in the first place? But it’s a delight as a fan of the book – which at this point I am as I’ve handed over the control.’

Also loved his cameo right at the end in the diner.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Also loved his cameo right at the end in the diner.

Oh, that must've been the guy that walked past Reacher as he entered the diner. I didn't recognize him, but that interaction did seem strange and unnecessary at the time. It makes sense now.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Oh, that must've been the guy that walked past Reacher as he entered the diner. I didn't recognize him, but that interaction did seem strange and unnecessary at the time. It makes sense now.
Yep that was him even smaller than some of the Stephen King cameos in movies about his books lol

Lee-Child-Alan-Ritchson-Reacher-3912821.jpg

He also was the customs agent in the Cruise movies

EDIT: what's funny is the the author is 6'4 and the character is supposed to be 6'5 if I recall, and massive, which is why the casting is better on that alone and we can see how much taller and bigger in the first picture. Then in the second you have 5'6 Tom Cruise lol

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
So like... this show was kinda terrible and very fun. I'm sure the people who read the books will have a reason, but why the f*** would your youngest son go by his last name? Really weird.

Also - CGI tear on Reacher at the end.

It reminds me of those USA shows of the mid-aughts to mid-teens of "this guy knows everything about everything and will give you exposition dumps on how to deal with every situation." Which is both really lazy and really comforting.

I wish there was more action because the action was great. Favorite scene is still the prison bathroom scene. I mean - I liked it a lot and will watch the second season, but at the same time it was almost guilty-pleasure level.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Really enjoying it but the bit where the lab guy enhances the image to reveal the diamond pattern in the wound, that's was hilarious.

Yeah, I laughed at that, as well. It reminded me of the mid 90s, when loading and zooming in on a high-res image really could take several seconds. What's ironic is that scenes like that are meant to show how cool technology is, but sort of do the opposite by making it seem slower and clunky than it is so that the least tech-inclined viewers can understand what's happening.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Really enjoying it but the bit where the lab guy enhances the image to reveal the diamond pattern in the wound, that's was hilarious.
It has every terrible cliche you can imagine. The ketchup to read the VIN is another hilarious moment.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Looking forward to Season 2, interesting to see what they do as I think the chemistry between Reacher, Roscoe and Finlay was probably the strongest part of the show for me.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Just finished the season. acting was not the greatest and the plot was just ok but the hand to hand action scenes were fantastic.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I agree that acting was not that great. If I was casting for this show I would sacrifice size for a better actor, say Tom Cruise or something, he has great credentials.

Reactions: Vaheh and Osprey

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Me and the wife loving it so far and love how imposing he is just standing there. Loved the movies but Cruise just can't act "tall and big" you just are or aren't.

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
Help me understand why the Kliners would need to send the bills to the Venezuelans? I mean, they control the manufacturing process, and they end up with clean $100s, why not use it yourself? What do you gain by shipping them off in South America? Is there something I missed?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Help me understand why the Kliners would need to send the bills to the Venezuelans? I mean, they control the manufacturing process, and they end up with clean $100s, why not use it yourself? What do you gain by shipping them off in South America? Is there something I missed?
Cause they will get caught fairly quickly if they tried using massive amount of that money within the US. They are laundering the money to stay under the radar.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Thought it was a great show and very entertaining. The episodes flew by and I couldn't wait to watch the next episode. Will definitely be watching season 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad