TV: Reacher (Amazon)

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Just finished ep. 8. fantastic. loved it.

There are 26 Reacher books...that should be enough material to give us at least 6-7 more years.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Reacher.png

It is well liked according to IMDB

I have seen each episode and I liked it a lot. I recommend you give it a try.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
SUCH a fun show. Absolutely not prestige TV (at least based on what I've seen 5 episodes in) since it doesn't demand much from the viewer and we know that Good Guy is going to beat Bad Guy, but damn do the 45 minute episodes fly by.

More importantly, you know how they are currently making a "gritty" reboot of the Fresh Prince? I am 100% convinced that Reacher is really a gritty reboot of the 80s sitcom Sledge Hammer!

In the 80s show, Detective Sledge Hammer is an overly violent cop whose motto is "shoot first, ask questions never." He is aided in his endeavours by his intelligent yet dangerous blonde co-worker and he constantly aggravates his superior, a well-educated African American man coping with a recent divorce.

Every episode of Reacher is now hilarious since I'm viewing it through the lens of one of my favorite forgotten comedies. I highly encourage anyone who watched Sledge Hammer! to do the same

Reactions: Osprey

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I've read every Lee Child book, which is why I didn't watch the Tom Cruise film. I had no interest in seeing Reacher portrayed by an actor the size of his pants. This dude looks right.

Looking forward to watching the series. My only hope is that it follows the book's character, who is as cerebral as physical.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It seemed like there wasn't much interest in the show when I made a thread on it a few months ago and it got two whole replies, so it's a pleasant surprise to see that it's a hit now that it's out.
Looking forward to watching the series. My only hope is that it follows the book's character, who is as cerebral as physical.

I've watched only the first two episodes, but it's definitely following the book character and showing off his smarts and detective skills as much as his muscles and fighting skills.

Reactions: Lshap

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I don't know, I kinda liked the Tom Cruise Reacher films. I liked the moody and broody Tom Cruise in that role. So far for episode 1 that I've seen for this series, this Reacher is more of a dumb jock. Hoping for more smarts and detective skills later on.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So far for episode 1 that I've seen for this series, this Reacher is more of a dumb jock.

In the first episode, we and the other characters are meant to underestimate him and he's in no mood to help out, anyways. The second episode better establishes his character.
Everyone is telling me to watch this, so i'm going to give it a shot soon.
As you should. Life is more fun if you always give in to peer pressure.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Started watching it last night and before I knew it, it was after midnight and I had 6 episodes watched. Hope to have to time to watch the other 2 tonight. Nice to have a Reacher who is the right size!

Reactions: Primary Assist

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
SUCH a fun show..
More importantly, you know how they are currently making a "gritty" reboot of the Fresh Prince? I am 100% convinced that Reacher is really a gritty reboot of the 80s sitcom Sledge Hammer!..
Every episode of Reacher is now hilarious since I'm viewing it through the lens of one of my favorite forgotten comedies. I highly encourage anyone who watched Sledge Hammer! to do the same..

Interesting take, I kinda see it.. From what I remember about the backstory on Sledge, he was actually a parody of the cold, indifferent vengeance of Dirty Harry. So this would be a parody of a parody.. basically a dude playing a dude.. disguised as another dude.
Every once in a while I'll encounter an 80s kid who liked Sledgehammer!, but I swear nobody remembers a show from the same night.. The Charmings. They were a dysfunctional family of fairy tale characters.. I loved that sh*t.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad