Re-sign Latendresse

costermonger

sans classe
Nov 4, 2007
Kitchener, Ont
The guy is the same age as Nick Foligno. I feel fairly certain there's a deal for him to sign after the season if he stays healthy. For what he can bring, it's kind of a no brainier I think.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
What I like most about Lats is he looks good on any line he's put on. He seems to have the ability to create seemingly instant chemistry with anyone he plays with.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Latendresse has been outplayed by our numerous AHL call-ups and will have even less of a spot on the team next year, plus he's a massive injury risk. I don't see why we should re-sign him.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Latendresse has been outplayed by our numerous AHL call-ups and will have even less of a spot on the team next year, plus he's a massive injury risk. I don't see why we should re-sign him.

You don't watch Senators games, do you?

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I don't know if the games are on 2 months tape delay in Lithuania (kidding), but he's played very well lately.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
You don't watch Senators games, do you?
I've watched every Senators game. He's slow as all hell, incompetent defensively, he takes bad penalties without drawing penalties himself and is likely our worst possession player among regular forwards. His injury issues are well documented. He should not have a spot in our top 6 next year and he'd be useless in a bottom 6 role.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
He is a far better player than I gave him credit for early in the season. I would love to see him signed for 2 years in around the 2 mill range per season.

Yes, injuries are a huge consideration. But (and here come all of the ifs) if we have Spezza back, Michalek back, and Alfie does not retire that would put Lat on the third line where he probably belongs. He would be somewhat sheltered there, which I believe would lessen the amount of injuries he would have.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I've watched every Senators game. He's slow as all hell, incompetent defensively, he takes bad penalties without drawing penalties himself and is likely our worst possession player among regular forwards. His injury issues are well documented. He should not have a spot in our top 6 next year and he'd be useless in a bottom 6 role.

While I admit your description of him was pretty accurate from his play before he took a few games off, after he's come back he's played pretty well.

He's not AS defensive minded as other guys, but we need another goal scorer, and he is one of those guys.

I'm fine giving him a chance to work with the Sens for the summer and then see what he's got. He's played well enough to do that. And he's young.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Lats' lack of speed almost works to his advantage. He's usually the 3rd forward trailing and seems to get a lot of chances as the trailer. Like I've said before in this thread, he has insane hockey sense. He knows where to be on the ice and when we're in the zone cycling and creating havoc, he doesn't need to be the fastest player on the ice. His size allows him to plow to the net and create room for his linemates. He's a very very effective offensive zone player.

He's a similar career path I expect Stone to take. Hopefully minus the injuries.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Geez, people want to get rid of Greening yet want to keep Latendresse which makes no sense to me at all. Greening works hard all over the ice, Latendresse is a cherry picker. Greening hits all over the ice, he put Gionta out with a hard hit tonight & led the team in hits, Latendresse rarely hits. Greening has 13 pts Latendresse has 7 pts & only played 14 games this yr, he has injury issues. Greening is a work out machine, Latendresse came into the season out of shape. Greening is the fastest guy on the team & Latendressse could be the slowest forward on the team. Greening is also ten times better defensively. Most keep thinking Latendresse is going to break out but don't give Greening any credit for his play even when he does well. Makes no sense. :shakehead

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Geez, people want to get rid of Greening yet want to keep Latendresse which makes no sense to me at all. Greening works hard all over the ice, Latendresse is a cherry picker. Greening hits all over the ice, he put Gionta out with a hard hit tonight & led the team in hits, Latendresse rarely hits. Greening has 13 pts Latendresse has 7 pts & only played 14 games this yr, he has injury issues. Greening is a work out machine, Latendresse came into the season out of shape. Greening is the fastest guy on the team & Latendressse could be the slowest forward on the team. Greening is also ten times better defensively. Most keep thinking Latendresse is going to break out but don't give Greening any credit for his play even when he does well. Makes no sense. :shakehead

One person makes a post about Greening in another thread and you go ape **** all over the forum bashing Latendresse? :shakehead

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I guess he's a guy who will never be good enough for some people. He was brought in to provide offense, and when he does that, he's not good enough defensively. When he shows that he has great hockey sense and scoring instincts, he's a cherry picker. :shakehead

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

i wouldn't mind a 2 year contract at around 2.5.

worst case he gets injured. so we have 2.5 against the cap, no biggie.

as for the greening and lats thing. why don't we keep both? but i see why people want to get rid of greening. he's pretty much hit his ceiling i think. he's going to be a 10 to 15 goal guy, who gives you some physicality. btw, lats hits too but i guess your hatred for the guy blinds you.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
I'm mixed on Lats. For the way he is playing overall right now, I wouldn't sign him for more than a year, if that. But, he was off for two years and had no training camp, which can excuse rust and getting up to speed. It does not excuse showing up and not being in the physical condition expected of a professional.

He has shown a good set of hands but his play away from the puck has problems. He cheats on plays quite a bit as well, both defensively and offensively. Not covering the defensive side of players or getting to far ahead of plays on breakouts. It just isn't the good solid 200 foot game the Sens want from players. Likely the cheating is from the lack of speed.

In addition to the speed, there is also a lack of quickness. Twice tonight he simply had to cover a point man and instead of the stride or two contain the player he ended up going down and swinging his stick to try and knock the puck away.

On the plus, he is young, has good hands, and there should be some good upside.

The main issue is his overall game and if he can learn and compensate enough for lack of speed to improve enough to stay in the NHL. I'm not a fan of "professionals" making $1 million plus in a year and not being in top shape - it's a lack of respect for the team that is paying you and a burden for the people you play with. He has mainly played with Alfie, which always showcases players to their best.

IMHO Lats is still a project, and I would like the see how it progresses before getting to locked in.

Comments in another thread are that he is what we hope Stone will develop into. I sure as heck have a lot more hopes for Stone than where Lats is right now. That would be a major disappointment.

And I do watch the games, and have half a half season ticket. Watching in person is much better to see how a player is doing away from the puck than the TV.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm mixed on Lats. For the way he is playing overall right now, I wouldn't sign him for more than a year, if that. But, he was off for two years and had no training camp, which can excuse rust and getting up to speed. It does not excuse showing up and not being in the physical condition expected of a professional.

He has shown a good set of hands but his play away from the puck has problems. He cheats on plays quite a bit as well, both defensively and offensively. Not covering the defensive side of players or getting to far ahead of plays on breakouts. It just isn't the good solid 200 foot game the Sens want from players. Likely the cheating is from the lack of speed.

In addition to the speed, there is also a lack of quickness. Twice tonight he simply had to cover a point man and instead of the stride or two contain the player he ended up going down and swinging his stick to try and knock the puck away.

On the plus, he is young, has good hands, and there should be some good upside.

The main issue is his overall game and if he can learn and compensate enough for lack of speed to improve enough to stay in the NHL. I'm not a fan of "professionals" making $1 million plus in a year and not being in top shape - it's a lack of respect for the team that is paying you and a burden for the people you play with. He has mainly played with Alfie, which always showcases players to their best.

IMHO Lats is still a project, and I would like the see how it progresses before getting to locked in.

Comments in another thread are that he is what we hope Stone will develop into. I sure as heck have a lot more hopes for Stone than where Lats is right now. That would be a major disappointment.

And I do watch the games, and have half a half season ticket. Watching in person is much better to see how a player is doing away from the puck than the TV.

Good analyses!

FrankTousi

Sep 29, 2011
Gatineau
Ottawa gave him a chance when other teams wouldn't.

He loves it here. He is close to his son and everyone is supportive.

Montreal is closer to his son, but I think he is developing some loyalty to Ottawa. Plus he is the go to guy for the French reporters in the Sens dressing room. That must be cool.

Methot too

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa

so we finally get a big player with decent hands and the guy that loves big player the most hates him?

i wonder if your hate for him is really that you hate the fact that people would take him over greening. there are a few reasons for people liking latendresse:

1 - hands, he has them. greening, not so much
2- offesive ability/sense. latendresse>greening

in all other categories, greening is better. this makes greening the better athlete, but not the better hockey player (or at least top six forward). latendresse does hit people. it looks to me like he enjoys throwing his body around. there's one problem: he often arrives to late to make a hit. he doesn't often pass up the opportunity when to make a hit when it is there, though. latendresse is often injured, but what if he could stay healthy? look at him when he's not healthy, he has a high ppg than greening. let him get physically back into things and see what he can do. yes, he can stay healthy. what's that? no he can't because he's never done it before? so we can predict the future 100% accurately by looking at the past? give him a chance. so far when we have, he's put up some points.

finally, we don't want to give up greening so much as we think we can trade him because he has value. we want to upgrade our top six, and we can use greening to do that. we like greening, but when we talk about offense, he's not going to be someone we can turn to whereas latendresse is.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00