Speculation: Re-Sign Campbell?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You contradicting yourself.

You say he should have been locked up, then say you agree with the wait and see approach.
Correct. I was wrong, the Leafs were wrong.
It’s how hindsight works.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think talks got derailed on July 21st, then derailed on the 28th. They would have had exit interviews at that point, Campbell knows that the plan is for him to be the lead guy in a tandem.

Then he sees Driedger get 3.5 off of 23 games as a 26 year old rookie backup. Ullmark get 5 having never started more than 37 games. If you're Campbell, what's your number to not see where the season leads?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Great goalie but quite injury prone throughout his career. I would love to keep him at a reasonable number (around $5 million). Otherwise, you have to let him walk. Even though we tend to grow attached, goalies are very replaceable.

Goalies are easy to find, good goalies aren't and I'm surprised anyone following the Leafs could think otherwise.

He's the heart and soul of the team and the biggest reason our record is so great.

He should have been resigned in the off-season, whether that was Dubas fault or Campbells decision remains to be seen, you hate to see a vezina caliber season on a contract year.

I believe it will be a deal under 5.5, and Mrazek gets dealt to help pay for his increased salary, my only issue is this man has never been paid and if his agent wants to put the screws to us he is 100% going to and has every right to fight for every penny having taken 10 years to get to where he is.

My thoughts are he signs something around 5x5 and stays a Leaf.

Hard to imagine this not being on Dubas. Campbell has made so little money during his career, there's always the risk of injury and any multi year deal would set him up for life so my guess is that there was no reasonable offer on the table.

Leaf Nation in a nutshell.
Worry about the future and not enjoy the present

It seems like every now and then, someone wanders into some thread with this exact smartass comment and it's just :facepalm:

If you can't handle thinking about the future then I suggest you stick to the GDT's.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hard to imagine this not being on Dubas. Campbell has made so little money during his career, there's always the risk of injury and any multi year deal would set him up for life so my guess is that there was no reasonable offer on the table.

I think this discounts all of
-how much money 4.5 mil US is
-how much Dreidger's contract reshaped what a "reasonable" offer was
-self confidence

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think this discounts all of
-how much money 4.5 mil US is
-how much Dreidger's contract reshaped what a "reasonable" offer was
-self confidence

I still think it's hard to say no to being financially set for life for the sake of a few million more when the risk of injury is always there. Of course I could be wrong, it's JMHO.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I still think it's hard to say no to being financially set for life for the sake of a few million more when the risk of injury is always there. Of course I could be wrong, it's JMHO.

Add to that, he’s playing the best hockey of his life on this team, it’s a great fit for him, it could all fall apart on another team. How many teams out there will have a better defence in front of him? How many teams are closer to his hometown? How many GM’s have shown so much confidence in him, trading for him both at the NHL and OHL level. It’s a great fit for both sides and I’m sure we see a deal get done.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
As a fan, the Cap is the worse thing to happen to the League. Absolutely hate it.
The NHL is about the owners first and the players second.

Third is the refs. 4th - American TV watching fans.

And that’s all I can think of.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Campbell's agent will use Petr Mrazek's 3 years at $3.8 mil against Dubas as extreme leverage in contract negotiations, unless Campbell is willing to give Leafs a discount to stay. IMO

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Campbell's agent will use Mrazek's 3 years at $3.8 mil against Dubas as extreme leverage in contract negotiations, unless Campbell is willing to give Leafs a discount to stay. IMO
So if Mrazek was traded before the negotiations, that leverage would be gone ?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Add to that, he’s playing the best hockey of his life on this team, it’s a great fit for him, it could all fall apart on another team. How many teams out there will have a better defence in front of him? How many teams are closer to his hometown? How many GM’s have shown so much confidence in him, trading for him both at the NHL and OHL level. It’s a great fit for both sides and I’m sure we see a deal get done.

And I imagine Dubas understands how important it is to keep him in the fold so yes, I think they will get it done assuming Campbell doesn't get too greedy (you never know). I hope it's sooner as opposed to later (next week would suit me just fine) and it's not too expensive, it would suck if we had to move Muzzin or something to find the cap space.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
And I imagine Dubas understands how important it is to keep him in the fold so yes, I think they will get it done assuming Campbell doesn't get too greedy (you never know). I hope it's sooner as opposed to later (next week would suit me just fine) and it's not too expensive, it would suck if we had to move Muzzin or something to find the cap space.
I mean his agent has Dubas right where he wants him - the Leafs need a goalie and need to sign him
Very few seem to.take discounts these dsys

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If we consider Mrazek's money at $3.8 million and add to Campbell's current deal of $1.65 million, that puts us into the $5.45 million territory for our 2021-22 goaltending budget. Get rid of Mrazek and you're basically home free.

Based on that, and Freddy Andersen's past contract, I'd say $4.75 million for Campbell (i.e. $750,000 league minimum backup in Woll next year) would be your dream bottom basement salary situation, since it wouldn't require any other roster movement.

More realistically, I think it drifts up to the $5.5 million range (still budgeting for a $750,000 league minimum ELC backup) which would only require a minimum increase of $800,000 on the goalie tandem. Still very workable.

$5.75 things start to get uncomfortable since bigger dominos have to fall elsewhere, and $6.00 million it's a luxury and probably your upper upper walk away dollar amount. But again, maybe not if Muzzin and Holl need to be addressed and more money is freed up in a bigger retool.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

Hopefully Mrazek comes back and plays decently enough that he can be moved in the offseason. And I agree, the sooner the better, the price will only go up the closer he gets to ufa status….assuming his stellar play holds up, which I’m confident will be the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad