Speculation: Re-Sign Campbell?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Currently the most important topic in Leaf Land, amazing that no thread currently exists.

A few questions to get the topic rolling.

Is it an immediate concern or something to deal with in the off season?
If he won't deal mid season should he be moved or is it acceptable to lose the asset for no return?
How far should Dubas go to get this guy signed? Open the vault or let him walk if he wants too much?

Reactions: axlrose87

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Currently the most important topic in Leaf Land, amazing that no thread currently exists.

If he won't deal mid season should he be moved or is it acceptable to lose the asset for no return?
How far should Dubas go to get this guy signed? Open the vault or let him walk if he wants too much?
Great goalie but quite injury prone throughout his career. I would love to keep him at a reasonable number (around $5 million). Otherwise, you have to let him walk. Even though we tend to grow attached, goalies are very replaceable.

Reactions: Ciao and ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Great goalie but quite injury prone throughout his career. I would love to keep him at a reasonable number (around $5 million). Otherwise, you have to let him walk. Even though we tend to grow attached, goalies are very replaceable.
Kind of how I'm feeling.
No way I'd move him in season if he refuses to sign. Hate to see him walk though.

Reactions: axlrose87

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It is a MASSIVE concern, and the Leafs are absolutely SCREWED because dumbas screwed up the cap so bad they are clearly going to lose their MVP who is CARRYING the team and who they CANT WIN WITHOUT.

lol GM dumbas.
I don't think there's anything left to be said on the matter

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
He's the heart and soul of the team and the biggest reason our record is so great.

He should have been resigned in the off-season, whether that was Dubas fault or Campbells decision remains to be seen, you hate to see a vezina caliber season on a contract year.

I believe it will be a deal under 5.5, and Mrazek gets dealt to help pay for his increased salary, my only issue is this man has never been paid and if his agent wants to put the screws to us he is 100% going to and has every right to fight for every penny having taken 10 years to get to where he is.

My thoughts are he signs something around 5x5 and stays a Leaf.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He's the heart and soul of the team and the biggest reason our record is so great.

He should have been resigned in the off-season, whether that was Dubas fault or Campbells decision remains to be seen, you hate to see a vezina caliber season on a contract year.

I believe it will be a deal under 5.5, and Mrazek gets dealt to help pay for his increased salary, my only issue is this man has never been paid and if his agent wants to put the screws to us he is 100% going to and has every right to fight for every penny having taken 10 years to get to where he is.

My thoughts are he signs something around 5x5 and stays a Leaf.
Yeah in hindsight he should have been locked up in the off season and perhaps Dubas tried, not sure if that info is public?

I don't blame Dubas for the wait and see approach. I would have done the same.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I honestly just don't care about the cap stuff at this point. I assume they will figure out a reasonable contract for Campbell and likely trade Mrazek in the off season to make it all work out. Beyond that it has gotten tiring micro analyzing cap implications of every player on a cheap deal playing well like 3 years ago. I am sure once we get Campbell signed the fanbase will move on to Bunting or something lol

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Would be good to deal with it sooner rather than later considering he is the starting goalie. He absolutely should not be moved though since he helps the team compete as much as he does for the league's top prize. There's no doubt a point in many negotiations where it becomes too much. Not sure what that is in this situation regarding AAV and term? It just would be nice to enter into and witness a less than eventful offseason by way of having the most impactful pieces already dealt with and in tow going forward (Rielly and Campbell).

Reactions: ACC1224

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I honestly just don't care about the cap stuff at this point. I assume they will figure out a reasonable contract for Campbell and likely trade Mrazek in the off season to make it all work out. Beyond that it has gotten tiring micro analyzing cap implications of every player on a cheap deal playing well like 3 years ago. I am sure once we get Campbell signed the fanbase will move on to Bunting or something lol

besides, the biggest concerns in the offseason are obviously all the incoming offer sheets to Sandin, Lilly, and Kase.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
As a fan, the Cap is the worse thing to happen to the League. Absolutely hate it.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm sure Dubas is calling Campbell's agent every couple of hours asking if he wants to sign a deal. Campbell is getting more and more expensive as every day goes by.

Love to see it tbh, these are the good problems to have. I think Campbell is making himself indispensable and will be re-signed even if it causes us to move a piece we otherwise wouldn't want to. We suddenly have a Vezina looking goalie without pedigree, which means he is maximum upside and still somewhat cost effective. We'll get him locked up to some term in the 5-6m range. Where does the money come from? Honestly, I don't really care, he's been that good.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Imo Muzzin is going to be traded for cap relief this summer to sign Campbell. It sucks, because he's good and really our only grit on the back end, but I could see it happening because we got Reilly, Sandin, and Dermott who could play the Left side, and I'm sure there hoping someone like Kokkanen or Kral could fill the bottom pair if needed.

People saying its easy to replace a goalie forget what it was like the majority of the time between Belfour and Andersen lol

Reactions: Its not your fault

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
It is a MASSIVE concern, and the Leafs are absolutely SCREWED because dumbas screwed up the cap so bad they are clearly going to lose their MVP who is CARRYING the team and who they CANT WIN WITHOUT.

lol GM dumbas.
Good point. Someone has to keep it real around here.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Kind of how I'm feeling.
No way I'd move him in season if he refuses to sign. Hate to see him walk though.
The ceiling anyone would pay for him is 6 and few would be in a position to pay that for a cup run. Teams that aren't competitive wont pay that for what will be a 30 year old goaltender.
Doubt he risks moving to a toxic environment instead of the good locker room he has. 5 is a good number with some term.

Reactions: Lauro and ACC1224

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The ceiling anyone would pay for him is 6 and few would be in a position to pay that for a cup run. Teams that aren't competitive wont pay that for what will be a 30 year old goaltender.
Doubt he risks moving to a toxic environment instead of the good locker room he has. 5 is a good number with some term.

I thought the Peterson deal (5mx3) but now I think he wants/gets more. The risk is that he has a great playoffs and the Oilers swoop in with another big overpay that we cannot match.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I thought the Peterson deal (5mx3) but now I think he wants/gets more. The risk is that he has a great playoffs and the Oilers swoop in with another big overpay that we cannot match.
Oilers need to overpay just for geography. It would have to be massive.

Reactions: ToneDog

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
hamster-wheel.gif

Reactions: al secord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad