Re-sign Bolland @ 3.5m?

samyy

Apr 14, 2009
If you're spending money this summer find some help on D.
Give our forward prospects a chance, Holland is ready.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
2 yr 3.5 per is the max I'd bring him back for. He's one of the few guys on this team who actually works hard and tries his best and the fluke ankle injury screwed him up after a good start. HE still doesn't have a good track record of consistency or health, so that's why I'm offering the amount I am. Any more than that, he can get out.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Bolland's whole appeal was that he was a warrior who would show up down the stretch no matter what. He flopped wholeheartedly in that regard. Very few players are 100% late in the season.

He had his tendon lacerated.... He had to learn to walk,skate, etc all over again. It is not like a broken bone. Muscles are a tricky subject and can take A LOT of time to heal and for yourself to feel the same again.

If you watched any bit of when Bolland came back you could tell he was second guessing himself and could not skate backwards as effectively as he used to.

I don't care who you are NO ONE is going to come back from a injury like that in this short of a time frame and be a effective player. Don't believe me ask Ottawa fans what Erik Karlsson was like when he returned....

The fact he even tried to come back this year should speak to the warrior this guy is because I know I would of just shut it down for the year and you prob would of also.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
This thread is such a failure.

This team was far more effective with Bolland at the start of the season. Bolland going down ruined any depth this team had in the forward group by forcing us to overplay guys like McClement and Raymond as well as even someone like Kadri who can't play in the defensive zone to save his life.

People are also very unrealistic about what 3.5 buys in free agency. It buys a tweener or decent 3rd liner.

Bolland came back towards the end of the season from one of the toughest injuries a player can come back from. Judging him based on games at the end of the season is a terrible way to view him. If anything he deserves accolades for wanting to help the team.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Bolland's whole appeal was that he was a warrior who would show up down the stretch no matter what. He flopped wholeheartedly in that regard. Very few players are 100% late in the season.

This demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the seriousness of an ankle tendon injury. I won't explain it to you because it seems you don't live in the real world.

Simply put, if he could have played he would have. Practice =/= game-ready.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I remember high school. I thought Nirvana was god and ripped jeans would never go out of style. Funny how things change. Not to mention the validity of your comment in the first place.

Cool story.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Not interested in bringing Bolland back, it seems like were reverting to tactics that DO NOT work.

Let Holland take the roster spot and earn his keep in the NHL. You already know he will be working harder than ever to make a name for himself in the NHL, whereas Bolland will demand a retirement contract and float his way through it.

RadekBong

Sep 27, 2009
Toronto, Canada
He had his tendon lacerated.... He had to learn to walk,skate, etc all over again. It is not like a broken bone. Muscles are a tricky subject and can take A LOT of time to heal and for yourself to feel the same again.

If you watched any bit of when Bolland came back you could tell he was second guessing himself and could not skate backwards as effectively as he used to.

I don't care who you are NO ONE is going to come back from a injury like that in this short of a time frame and be a effective player. Don't believe me ask Ottawa fans what Erik Karlsson was like when he returned....

The fact he even tried to come back this year should speak to the warrior this guy is because I know I would of just shut it down for the year and you prob would of also.

I definitely would have but im not a professional athlete. If the doctor's cleared him it means the only thing holding him back was mental and he needs to be able to overcome that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bolland is washed up, busted up and ineffective. Good luck in Florida.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
yeah hes gonna get atleast Clarkson money from us

Throwing good money after bad!

If we could transfer the Clarkson contract to Bolland, and ship Clarkson to the moon, I'd be all for it! Since we can't do that, we better not give Bolland anywhere near the same money! In this case, 2 negatives won't make a positive no matter what!

Clarkson is NOT worth the paper his contract is written on never mind his $5.24M cap hit.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
the tendon was a fluke accident. however, bolland may never get his step back. either 3.5/1 year bridge contract or let him walk.

Jun 27, 2005
Any discussion about re-signing anyone is premature until we know the direction that Shanahan intends to take the team.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Bringing in Bolland was a great move. The team looked great with him in the lineup and he was flying out there, doing everything.

Then the fluke injury.

I think now you have to part ways. Locking up an injury prone vet looking for a pay day isn't the right move for this team right now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That's only true in the sense that none of it is at all, in any way accurate.

a) Dave Bolland averages 41 points per 82 games played.

b) Dave Bolland's career high in points in a single season is 47.

c) Dave Bolland has missed 143 games out of 458 games since 2009.

d) Dave Bolland hasn't surpassed the 40 point "plateau" in five seasons.

Get the hell out Dave Bolland.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Absolutely I sign Bolland at 3.5 and give him some term to make it happen.

But it's extremely unlikely he takes that little.

I really hope the Leafs lay low a bit this summer with UFA's, I think with the cap going up some teams are going to make big, Clarkson level mistakes. We don't need another one forcing us to cut bait on future young players we suddenly can't afford because of a poorly managed cap.

Gonna be an interesting summer I think. Please be responsible Shanny/Nonis!

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
a) Dave Bolland averages 41 points per 82 games played.

b) Dave Bolland's career high in points in a single season is 47.

c) Dave Bolland has missed 143 games out of 458 games since 2009.

d) Dave Bolland hasn't surpassed the 40 point "plateau" in five seasons.

Get the hell out Dave Bolland.

Exactly. People need to stop over-valuing his first 15 games as well. So he got hot. His past seasons indicate that that type of offense would not have continued throughout the season.

Giving him a contract based on those 15 games is ludicrous.

Secondly, even in the early season Bolland wasn't exactly the fastest or most mobile guy. After that horrific injury? Considering he's 30 and his body doesn't recover like it would for a 22 year old, coupled with his extensive injury history: There is zero reason to give Bolland any contract with term.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
2 years, okay, although I think the money is better spent on D. I'm not sure there will be good D to be had in UFA, though, so a trade would be the only realistic option.

5 years? Hell no. Who knows if his skating will come back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad