Re-do the 1st round of the 2008 DRAFT!

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This was a very strong draft...and players just keep coming up out of it.

I wonder if Conacher would have been drafted in this year even if he hadn't broken his arm. He seemed to be quite under the radar. Now he could easily fit into the top 20 or higher if he continues to expand on what he's accomplished.

1. Erik Karlsson
2. Drew Doughty
3. Steven Stamkos
4. Alex Pietrangelo
5. Jordan Eberle
6. John Carlson
7. Zach Bogosian
8. Colin Wilson
9. Vyacheslav Voynov
10. Tyler Ennis
11. Derek Stepan
12. Jacob Markstrom
13. Braden Holtby
14. Justin Schultz
15. Cory Conacher
16. Cody Hodgson
17. Mikkel Boedker
18. Roman Josi
19. Travis Hamonic
20. Jared Spurgeon

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ok so John Carlson should be higher on my list? Cujomi and MAK have him pretty high

Why would you demand Conacher gets included in the first round? I think it's more interesting to see where people naturally would place him in a draft revision, and the arguments they'd use to support his placement.

Oh damn you're right, of course I had to screw up in the OP. I was wondering why not many people were doing it seriously.

I didn't mean that Conacher had to be in the 1st round. It's because I originally wrote "re-do the 2008 draft", but thought it was too heavy so I added only the 1st round. The Conacher thing was already there

It's a bit of a fail thread so far :(

Hopefully, more people make a list

WhiteLight*

Yeah Carlson is awesome. Big, great skill, skating, the complete package. Plays against top players and produces 0.5 ppg. Easily the Caps' best D.

Also, Jared Spurgeon. Good offensively and so good defensively for such a small guy. My hero

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
You guys do realize that Stamkos has scored 60 goals in the league, right? Until I see Karlsson do it again, I'm not going to rank him #1. Though what I saw this year, I'd put him above Stamkos, but I want a whole season of that.

DonthaveaCOWEN

Jul 29, 2010
Pretty sure Conacher was 2007 eligible. Put him up against that sad sack of a draft crop and he'd be much higher on peoples lists than 2008's stacked draft.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
That seems a bit odd since Conacher would have the 3rd best scoring pace of all the 2008 draftees if he had been picked that year.

You're right, I hadn't taken a deep look at the draft when I posted that. And I guaranteed he wouldn't be in the first round...hmmm, looks like I'm obligated to try and put together a list now ;)

1 - Erik Karlsson D
2 - Steven Stamkos C
3 - Drew Doughty D
4 - Alex Pietrangelo D
5 - Jordan Eberle C
6 - Jacob Markstrom G
7 - Tyler Myers D
8 - Derek Stepan C
9 - Justin Schultz D
10 - John Carlson D
11 - Zach Bogosian D
12 - Mikkel Boedker L
13 - Cody Hodgson C
14 - Adam Henrique C
15 - Vyacheslav Voynov D
16 - Michael Del Zotto D
17 - Colin Wilson C
18 - Travis Hamonic D
19 - Roman Josi D
20 - Braden Holtby G
21 - Jake Gardiner D
22 - Luke Schenn D
23 - Patrick Wiercioch D
24 - Jake Allen G
25 - Luca Sbisa D
26 - Zack Smith C
27 - Joshua Bailey C
28 - Tyler Ennis C
29 - Gustav Nyquist L

I'm not being a homer slotting Karlsson at #1 - the way we all know how he controls the game is a beauty to watch and Stamkos only seems to be noticed when the puck is in the net at times. Granted he does it a lot, but I value defenseman very highly and Karlsson is one hell of a specimen.

So me thinking that Conacher wouldn't crack the top 30 is pretty much wrong...I'll slot him in here right at #30. It's so much harder for small players to excel and it will be interesting to see how this kid progresses. I hope he kills it with Ottawa, but we'll see. I do believe that he is one of the right type of players we need at the moment.

As for my other choices, there are some guys that still have room to improve or in some cases, return to a form they showed earlier and have lost. Still a fan of Schenn and Myers has too much potential to pass over even though he really blows right now.

It was a good year but not that great for forwards actually.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Pretty sure Conacher was 2007 eligible. Put him up against that sad sack of a draft crop and he'd be much higher on peoples lists than 2008's stacked draft.

He was for sure a 2008 draft kid. Born Dec 14, '89. The cutoff date for the draft is some time in September: pre-September '89 birth years were drafted in the 2007 draft, and Sept-Dec '89 birthdays were drafted in the '08 draft.

I agree though: had Conacher been '07 draft eligible, he would be higher on that list. Heck, he might have even actually been drafted.

Hypothetically, HAD Conacher been a '07 draft kid and we were doing this exercise, the guys ahead of him on the list would be:
(in order of how they were actually drafted in '07, not a "re-do" list)
-Kane
-JVR
-Turris
-Gagner
-Voracek
-Couture
-B. Sutter
-McDonagh
-Shattenkirk
-Pacioretty
-Perron
-Subban
-Simmonds
-Benn

... so in this hypothetical scenario, I have Conacher at about 15 or so.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
1- Steven Stamkos
2- Erik Karlsson
3- Drew Doughty
4- Alex Pietrangelo
5- Jordan Eberle
6- Zach Bogosian
7- Jacob Markstrom
8- Cody Hodgson
9- Justin Schultz
10- Tyler Myers
11- Michael Del Zotto
12- Derek Stepan
13- Vyacheslav Voynov
14- Adam Henrique
15- Tyler Ennis
16- Colin Wilson
17- Mikkel Boedker
18- Braden Holtby
19- John Carlson
20- Cory Conacher
21- Gustav Nyquist
22- Patrick Wiercioch
23- Jared Spurgeon
24- Joe Colborne
25- Jake Gardiner
26- Cam Atkinson
27- Jason Demers
28- Luke Schenn
29- Luca Sbisa
30- Roman Josi
31- Joshua Bailey
32- Travis Hamonic
33- Anders Lindback
34- Jake Allen
35- Greg Nemisz

That seems a bit odd since Conacher would have the 3rd best scoring pace of all the 2008 draftees if he had been picked that year.

Steven Stamkos 1.04
Jordan Eberle 0.80
Erik Karlsson 0.69
Cory Conacher 0.69
Tyler Ennis 0.67
Derek Stepan 0.62
Adam Henrique 0.61
Cody Hodgson 0.56
Justin Schultz 0.56
Alex Pietrangelo 0.55
Drew Doughty 0.50
Cam Atkinson 0.50
Colin Wilson 0.49
Vyacheslav Voynov 0.47
Tyler Myers 0.46
Michael Del Zotto 0.44
Patrick Wiercioch 0.43
John Carlson 0.42
Joshua Bailey 0.41

* Left Joe Colborne (and Redmond & Cornet) out of this since he only has 6 NHL career points

I would really like to see your list where you have over 40 better picks than Conacher.

PS : Excel is my friend

That is Excellent!

I remember Don Brennan writing an article last year when we made the playoffs, talking about how he predicted the sens would make the playoffs had young guys stepped up, Maclean proved to be a godo coach and the veterans bounced back (thanks tips, wouldn't have guessed that).

It was basically an article that he was trying to say "Look how awesome I am! I know so much about hockey!"

I just wish I could have went to up and handed him the articles on Hossa/Karlsson being horrible picks, and how we could have had Zultek over Hossa.

Brennan is a complete and utter moron, and the only human being alive who can give Milbury a run for his money when it comes to a complete and total lack of hockey knowledge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad