Re-do 2019 draft- where does Xhekaj get picked?

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
it seems hard to believe now that Arber Xhekaj was completely passed over at the 2019 NHL draft in Vancouver. What might be even harder is to suggest where you think his talent would position him today? It’s only been 51 games in the show however his skill is undeniable as a top 6 D at only 22yo. His ceiling, IMHO, is a solid second pairing D with second unit PP potential. I’m certain if HuGo offered him up today he’d receive 31 calls offering at least a second round pick.

So if the 2019 GM’s had a crystal ball and watched Xhekaj’s play last year he’d be selected 20-30 overall in 2019. Cheers.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Probably 10-20th on the basis that GMs fantasize about big, mean d-men.

Late 1st to mid 2nd talent wise, other than that. His defensive game was somewhat dangerously lacking. Hopefully he improves there, but that'd be a red flag to me.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
it seems hard to believe now that Arber Xhekaj was completely passed over at the 2019 NHL draft in Vancouver. What might be even harder is to suggest where you think his talent would position him today? It’s only been 51 games in the show however his skill is undeniable as a top 6 D at only 22yo. His ceiling, IMHO, is a solid second pairing D with second unit PP potential. I’m certain if HuGo offered him up today he’d receive 31 calls offering at least a second round pick.

So if the 2019 GM’s had a crystal ball and watched Xhekaj’s play last year he’d be selected 20-30 overall in 2019. Cheers.
Why I always advocated drafting more D late in draft. Most develop later, fooling scouts at 18. Half the star defensemen drafted after first round. While most offensive skill forwards can tell at 18.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
There’s no doubt Arber is far from the finished product however defensive positioning and gap control can be taught through repetition drills. What helps him stand out are the things that can’t be taught like size, grit & offensive IQ. He’s a unicorn in todays game that requires all D to skate well….not only does he have very good foot speed, he’s ‘6”4 240 lbs with all the above mentioned assets.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He definitely goes first round and like Reinbacher the sky rocketing progression is intriguing. He has all the tools to become a nasty piece of work most forwards will hate playing against with the added benefit of having some potential offense. I hope we concentrate on making him a reliable SOB on the back end. It woud be awesome if he could do it on the right side.

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Players drafted after the 1st round statistically don't make it but of course some do.
He looks like someone taken in the 2nd round that makes it.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
First round, probably much higher than he deserves. He's developed exactly into what guys like Hugh Jessimen, Dylan McIlrath, Duncan Siemens, McCarron, Haydn Fleury, and many others went top 10 or first round were projected to be.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Mid-late First round pick for sure.
He developed his offensive game. Teams saw him as a #6-8 D/AHL player.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
He definitely goes first round and like Reinbacher the sky rocketing progression is intriguing. He has all the tools to become a nasty piece of work most forwards will hate playing against with the added benefit of having some potential offense. I hope we concentrate on making him a reliable SOB on the back end. It woud be awesome if he could do it on the right side.
We can already see that teams in the division are afraid of him.

Boston got Lucic.
Toronto added Reaves
Ottawa let Wilson go to replace him by a tougher player in MacEwen.
Tampa just added Wilson on a PTO.
Buffalo sign Clifton.

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Such a hard question as it still is so early based on if you still feel guys like Turcotte (as one example) are just not gonna ever do it, or are late.
There are definitely quite a few in the first round I think he passes, but also some past the first he doesnt. After a run through quickly without any real real deep research there are probably 30-40 definitely ahead of him. But also keeping in mind guys that are still showing great promise but were meant to be longer projects, gotta think theres 10 or so there.
A late second I think is pretty fair, this season will give a much better representation of where he stands in that draft overall.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Players drafted after the 1st round statistically don't make it but of course some do.
He looks like someone taken in the 2nd round that makes it.

I like this analysis even though it changes the angle of the question a little bit. Xhekaj would be 1st round in a redraft, as would any "2nd rounder who makes it", but if you go back to that draft, give better knowledge on the prospect, he looks like someone who would be a 2nd round pick based on his size and skating combo, despite somewhat lacking defensive play (at the time at least) and indiscipline.

Reactions: Tyson and BJCOLLINS

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
The Hammer development arc is in the cards.

Keep punching faces & work on that shot.

sheldon-souray-poses-for-a-portrait-during-the-2009-nhl-live-western-eastern-conference-all.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad