Re-awakening the Silly Beast

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Whether the Pens can or should bring him back, I hope he gets back on track. It would be a shame for someone that young to have their career derailed by concussions.

That being said, Kunitz for Despres, do it.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
:biglaugh: well what makes you a winger? lot of teams have a winger that ends up sitting for most/all of the game. you never heard of buff? sometime he's a winger sometimes he plays dee. where is he going to fall?
There will probably be specific guidelines for this when they finally announce the rules for the expansion draft. A games played requirement for each position, most likely, to close that potential loophole.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
In reference to the thread title:

-oh-behave-meme-10662.png

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Thank god... I never understood the love for him. Peopel complain about Letangs sense then go gaga for Depres????

Still a strange trade but its Despres not Guy Lapoint.

Why is the bolded ALWAYS brought up in a Despres discussion, as if those arguing in his favor somehow rank him among the all time greats? If someone's in favor of trading Sprong, is your comeback "it's Daniel Sprong not Mike Bossy!"?

Kudos to you for at least not using Bobby Orr, though. :shakehead

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Lovejoy was a serviceable bottom pairing guy who stepped up his game from "absolute garbage" to "not actively killing us whenever he's on the ice" when it mattered most.

I haven't watched Despres this season much, particularly after he got brained, but he was great for Anaheim last year in the playoffs. As a top pairing guy, not as a bottom pairing guy.

It was a stupid trade then, for a multitude of reasons, and I still wouldn't make the trade today. There is absolutely no iota of doubt in my mind Despres would've filled the role Lovejoy did just as well or better. That's not to say anything about the absurdity in asset value comparison between the two either.

I don't know. I'm still ecstatic we won the Cup, and I thank Lovejoy for stepping up his game when it mattered the most, but the trade was still ****ing pants-on-head ********.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Why is the bolded ALWAYS brought up in a Despres discussion, as if those arguing in his favor somehow rank him among the all time greats? If someone's in favor of trading Sprong, is your comeback "it's Daniel Sprong not Mike Bossy!"?

Kudos to you for at least not using Bobby Orr, though. :shakehead

It's called a strawman. Those people, that say stupid **** like "Get over it, Despres isn't Orr!" are idiots. They fail to grasp the simple concepts involving the Despres/Lovejoy deal and why so many people were upset with it.

We traded a 24 year old, 6'4", 215lb physical defenseman who has a great first pass, and can skate like the wind, for a 31 year old never-was that we just traded for anything we could get for him a couple years earlier, who was never anything more than a barely serviceable bottom pairing guy.

I wasn't against trading Despres. If we would've moved him for a long-term solution at wing, I'd have been okay with it. We essentially gave him up for nothing. Winning the Cup does not change that, regardless of how giddy people (myself included) are feeling.

WhiteWalker*

Advanced Stats... Stanley Cups

Lovejoy - 1
Despres - 0

Despres is irrelevant. Nobody in Pittsburgh is thinking about him. Neal/Horny is worth more talk then this subject.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Well, going by the Despres love on here - had we not traded him he would have turned this team into a regular season juggernaught and made Johnston look like Mike Babcock and thus we wouldn't have ever got Sully....

This is a ridiculous discussion, yes it was a weird trade but there was also a lot of stuff flying around about Despres' poor work ethic etc. This team is made of team players who tow the line, Despres would not have fit in to Sullys regime.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Thank god... I never understood the love for him. Peopel complain about Letangs sense then go gaga for Depres????

Still a strange trade but its Despres not Guy Lapoint.

Welcome to the forum Dejan!

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
After the trade, JR mentioned that you can only keep and commit to so many D men, and that Dumo would need space to play. If the choice was between Dumo and Despres, I'd take Dumo.

So for the short term, the LJ trade worked out with a Cup. For the long term, considering expansion and protecting only 3 D, then it would appear to be working out as well.

The big issue with the trade is not enough value coming back.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Well, going by the Despres love on here - had we not traded him he would have turned this team into a regular season juggernaught and made Johnston look like Mike Babcock and thus we wouldn't have ever got Sully....

This is a ridiculous discussion, yes it was a weird trade but there was also a lot of stuff flying around about Despres' poor work ethic etc. This team is made of team players who tow the line, Despres would not have fit in to Sullys regime.

i wish it were possible for people to take responsibility for the things they post.

Please, show me where anyone has said something even remotely close to this?

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
i wish it were possible for people to take responsibility for the things they post.

Please, show me where anyone has said something even remotely close to this?

I am going by the fact that even 15 months on from this trade people are still holding a candle for a mediocre defensive prospect with plenty of deficiencies. That kind of love should only be reserved for those who would make that kind of a difference....obviously he would not, so people need to really leave it alone. It's a little bit sad that there are so many people that are so hung up on Despres. It's probably the same people who thought the Tangradi was the best thing since sliced bread...and that the only reason he isn't a top 6 power forward is because he didn't get enough ice time with the Pens... :help:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I am going by the fact that even 15 months on from this trade people are still holding a candle for a mediocre defensive prospect with plenty of deficiencies. That kind of love should only be reserved for those who would make that kind of a difference....obviously he would not, so people need to really leave it alone. It's a little bit sad that there are so many people that are so hung up on Despres. It's probably the same people who thought the Tangradi was the best thing since sliced bread...and that the only reason he isn't a top 6 power forward is because he didn't get enough ice time with the Pens... :help:

so basically you said something that has no basis in reality, and now you're trying to judge people for how they enjoy sports?

If the conversations bother you so much, just ignore them?

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
so basically you said something that has no basis in reality, and now you're trying to judge people for how they enjoy sports?

If the conversations bother you so much, just ignore them?

Yes of course it doesn't have basis in reality the same way people pining for Despres has no basis in reality...it happened, he is gone.

I would try to ignore it but it pops up in pretty much every thread. I am not judging anybody, but I worry for people who are getting so stuck on something that happened 15 months ago and had no discernible negative impact on a team that has just won the Stanley Cup....these few posts by myself have been about a year in the pipeline and now I just feel justified in asking why people are still going on about this since we won a cup.

I agree that we didn't get enough return for him, and I thought Lovejoy was absolute crap when he was here before but he was much improved from his first stint here and has done a solid job for us this year particularly in the post season. I just cannot see the evidence to show Despres was this stud that everyone says he is/was.

I still remember when Scuderi signed in LA and played big minutes for them and people here were asking why we let him go...then he came back...:help: There seem to be a lot of short memories, Despres made Letang look like a Harvard graduate with some of his play...anyway, I know I am in the minority of those who couldn't care less that Despres is not a Penguin...I will leave it alone (for another 12 months :sarcasm:)

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yes of course it doesn't have basis in reality the same way people pining for Despres has no basis in reality...it happened, he is gone.

I would try to ignore it but it pops up in pretty much every thread. I am not judging anybody, but I worry for people who are getting so stuck on something that happened 15 months ago and had no discernible negative impact on a team that has just won the Stanley Cup....these few posts by myself have been about a year in the pipeline and now I just feel justified in asking why people are still going on about this since we won a cup.

I agree that we didn't get enough return for him, and I thought Lovejoy was absolute crap when he was here before but he was much improved from his first stint here and has done a solid job for us this year particularly in the post season. I just cannot see the evidence to show Despres was this stud that everyone says he is/was.

I still remember when Scuderi signed in LA and played big minutes for them and people here were asking why we let him go...then he came back...:help: There seem to be a lot of short memories, Despres made Letang look like a Harvard graduate with some of his play...anyway, I know I am in the minority of those who couldn't care less that Despres is not a Penguin...I will leave it alone (for another 12 months :sarcasm:)

last chance to see if you can answer a very simple question:

who in this thread is pining for Despres or acting like they aren't over it?

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
last chance to see if you can answer a very simple question:

who in this thread is pining for Despres or acting like they aren't over it?

I shall concede on this one. I think I just store all the Despres comments in my head and have just unleashed my annoyance on this thread...when in fact there isn't anything specifically pro-Despres in this thread...I stand by my comments generally but you are quite right there isn't any Despres love-fest in this thread...I might re-read this thread now, it makes me feel much better! haha!

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
I really liked him as a Penguin but I wouldn't take him back for free.

Bad concussion problems, makes almost 4 million on a team where cap space is very precious, and you most likely lose him in a year for nothing.

The top 4 D here is already about as good as it gets in a cap world.

Dumo-Letang
Maata-Daley

I personally loved Cole-Schultz on the bottom pair, you can get those 2 combined for about 4.5 i'd wager, Much rather have that than Despres at 3.7 and some random scrub.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I shall concede on this one. I think I just store all the Despres comments in my head and have just unleashed my annoyance on this thread...when in fact there isn't anything specifically pro-Despres in this thread...I stand by my comments generally but you are quite right there isn't any Despres love-fest in this thread...I might re-read this thread now, it makes me feel much better! haha!

Is GFF short for "Guerin Fan Forever?"

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Disagree. Neal-Horny isn't even worth mentioning, let alone discussing.

If we want to rehash the past, we should really just focus on the great injustice that Plotnikov endured here. With his advanced possession stats and his fantastic ability to fall down as soon as someone came near him, he should have been gifted top six minutes. Instead, he was discarded unceremoniously to the scrap heap.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I wasn't trying to start a **** storm with this thread. I actually asked a question that had nothing to do with whether Depres should be coming back or not.

"I don't understand the advanced stats and I don't really care to but I was wondering last night, after the trade contributing to a cup, how these two actually line up. Was there something that the stats gurus for the team saw that led GMJR to make that move?"

Was there something in the advanced stats that led GMJR to make that move?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

If we want to rehash the past, we should really just focus on the great injustice that Plotnikov endured here. With his advanced possession stats and his fantastic ability to fall down as soon as someone came near him, he should have been gifted top six minutes. Instead, he was discarded unceremoniously to the scrap heap.

How about a Robert Dome - Plotnikov statwatch?

We haven't had a good statwatch in YEARS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad