Re-awakening the Silly Beast

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I'm almost afraid to do this because it is sure to re-aggravate some old wounds for some but I have a question for you advanced stats gurus:

How do Lovejoy's advanced stats compare to Depres?

I don't understand the advanced stats and I don't really care to but I was wondering last night, after the trade contributing to a cup, how these two actually line up. Was there something that the stats gurus for the team saw that led GMJR to make that move?

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
I'm almost afraid to do this because it is sure to re-aggravate some old wounds for some but I have a question for you advanced stats gurus:

I don't understand the advanced stats and I don't really care to but I was wondering last night, after the trade contributing to a cup, how these two actually line up. Was there something that the stats gurus for the team saw that led GMJR to make that move?

Kind of unfair when you consider that one was playing with Fowler and the other was playing with Scuderi

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

http://public.tableau.com/shared/G6R3K5DWQ?:display_count=yes

Kind of unfair when you consider that one was playing with Fowler and the other was playing with Scuderi

Despres' advanced stats with Scuderi were better than anyone else's with Scuderi. Despres is the player responsible for anyone in the organization thinking Scuderi was anything more than trash on skates. The moment Despres was gone, Scuderi nose dived.

The unfair thing is comparing now after Despres had 2 concussions and missed over half the season :P

Fordy

May 28, 2008
lovejoy is a "complete top 4 dman" according to this thing? how is his goals/60 so high? wtf?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I was more annoyed at the Despres fest than anyone else, but if I were JR, I'd be kicking the tires on Despres for cheap now.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I was more annoyed at the Despres fest than anyone else, but if I were JR, I'd be kicking the tires on Despres for cheap now.

Doesn't really make sense unless we shed Cole, we'd also lose him in the expansion draft if he regains his form.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

lol if jr somehow reacquires despres a year later he would be the best gm ever

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I would have worded it... differently... but yea, you can't commit that much money to Despres without knowing if he'll rebound from his concussions. He looked cooked.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Ignoring the concussions, the problem with this idea is that he's a young-ish, large D who's going to be just outside any team's best 3 D, no matter how he's playing.

As such, it's quite likely he's a 1 year rental for whomever trades for him, given the realities of the expansion draft.

vid387

Jun 23, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Why does anyone want Despres back? Making 3.7?? We have 4 d-men making top 4 money already. If he sucks, he cost us what it takes to acquire him and the dead money of his long term contract. If he's great, he'll be playing for Vegas in a year. Let him go..

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Why does anyone want Despres back? Making 3.7?? We have 4 d-men making top 4 money already. If he sucks, he cost us what it takes to acquire him and the dead money of his long term contract. If he's great, he'll be playing for Vegas in a year. Let him go..

It's a conversation. Why are conversations so scary to some people?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Doesn't really make sense unless we shed Cole, we'd also lose him in the expansion draft if he regains his form.

"if" he can come back (health) he would be a great add. ....we could get him with futures (maybe)
and we could protect him easily at the draft. just save him as a winger.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Genius! Murray is a center, problems solved! That's really going to be allowed.:help:
if you let him play one shift a game at wing.......he's a winger. not hard to do...and it doesn't need to be a long shift. little harder to do with a goalie.

vid387

Jun 23, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
if you let him play one shift a game at wing.......he's a winger. not hard to do...and it doesn't need to be a long shift. little harder to do with a goalie.

Great! Can't wait for that Despres-Murray-Pouliot line to debut next year. And good luck getting that to fly past the Vegas GM, Bettman, and the NHLPA. Not going to happen.

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
I would have worded it... differently... but yea, you can't commit that much money to Despres without knowing if he'll rebound from his concussions. He looked cooked.

GMJR is a genius and knew that Despres was going to have concussion issues. Can't believe we robbed the Ducks blind on that trade. Lovejoy should have been a Norris finalist. After all, no one in the league shoots the puck intentionally wide like he does!

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Thank god... I never understood the love for him. Peopel complain about Letangs sense then go gaga for Depres????

Still a strange trade but its Despres not Guy Lapoint.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Great! Can't wait for that Despres-Murray-Pouliot line to debut next year. And good luck getting that to fly past the Vegas GM, Bettman, and the NHLPA. Not going to happen.
:biglaugh: well what makes you a winger? lot of teams have a winger that ends up sitting for most/all of the game. you never heard of buff? sometime he's a winger sometimes he plays dee. where is he going to fall?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Yea this and the adv. stats said Despres propped up Scuds.
Desi was a good puck mover, physical and skated pucks out of danger/good shot supressor.

LJ is what he always was. He's a solid bottom pairing guy who peaked during these playoffs and played some outstanding hockey.

I would love to have seen what kind of hockey Sully could have gotten out of Desi.

And yea, Desi coming back makes no sense atm. Mainly cuz of Maatta's new contract/cap hit.
As a poster mentioned above, if Cole wasn't here, it'd make some sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad