Re-Alignment with Seattle

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Well what the hell are you referring to, I never mentioned Colorado would’ve been in the Pacific for 20 years. So what the heck are you talking about?
Read. The Words. I Say.

Stop responding to concepts I literally never came close to saying.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
wNBIxWR.png
Balancing travel equally between conferences would have something like this... similar to MLB, NFL, and NBA.

Conference One: Northeast, Atlantic, Central, Northwest

Conference Two: Metropolitan, Southeast, Southwest, Pacific.

Atlantic and Metro also can switch conferences.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Expansion team to Seattle, WA
Florida relocates to Quebec City, QUE (Nordiques)
Arizona relocates to Hamilton, ON

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Atlantic: NJD, NYI, NYR, PHI
Southeast: CAR, PIT, TBL, WSH

NORTHERN CONFERENCE
Northeast: BOS, MTL, OTT, QUE
Great Lakes: BUF, CBJ, HAM, TOR

CENTRAL CONFERENCE
Midwest: CHI, DET, MIN, WPG
Southwest: COL, DAL, NSH, STL

WESTERN CONFERENCE
Pacific: ANA, LAK, SJS, VGK
Northwest: CGY, EDM, SEA, VAN

Regular season: 3 home, 3 away with division opponents. 2 home, 2 away with conference opponents. Home and away with all other teams = 82 games.

Each conference sends to playoffs 2 division winners and 2 wild cards. Top record in conference plays WC2. Other division winner plays WC1. Winners meet in Conference Final. Conference winners rank 1-4 based on regular season record. 1-4, 2-3 play in Cup Semifinals. Winners play in Cup Final.

Advantages -
1. Current alignment with future expansion means the most you typically play a rival in regular season is 4 games. Sometimes 5, but with unbalanced home-away schedule. Proposal puts many strongest rivalries together for 6 regular season games. Vast majority of current division rivalries are retained within conferences at worst, meaning 4 games and no loss in the amount of regular season matchups)

2. Balances all home-and-aways. No 3 or 5 game schedules against anybody.

3. Detroit is reunited with Chicago through division. Reunited with Colorado, Nashville, Dallas, and St. Louis through conference. These were always huge draws.

4. First two rounds of playoffs still never cross more than 1 time zone. Only exception would be DET/COL, which would be a classic rivalry matchup and no one would be complaining about it starting @ 8 in DET and @ 6 in Denver.

5. More potential Stanley Cup Final matchups. NYR vs BOS, DET vs. TOR, PHI vs. MTL, CGY vs. WPG, CHI vs. LAK...etc.

6. No need for current "crossover" rules used in the divisional playoffs. Conference rivalries emphasized to a greater extent.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The realignment may end up having as much to do with internal politics of the BoG as it does with any of the attempted logic seen in a thread like. Remember that it takes a 3/4 majority to approve realignment.

Reactions: Mike Louis

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Expansion team to Seattle, WA
Florida relocates to Quebec City, QUE (Nordiques)
Arizona relocates to Hamilton, ON

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Atlantic: NJD, NYI, NYR, PHI
Southeast: CAR, PIT, TBL, WSH

NORTHERN CONFERENCE
Northeast: BOS, MTL, OTT, QUE
Great Lakes: BUF, CBJ, HAM, TOR

CENTRAL CONFERENCE
Midwest: CHI, DET, MIN, WPG
Southwest: COL, DAL, NSH, STL

WESTERN CONFERENCE
Pacific: ANA, LAK, SJS, VGK
Northwest: CGY, EDM, SEA, VAN

Regular season: 3 home, 3 away with division opponents. 2 home, 2 away with conference opponents. Home and away with all other teams = 82 games.

Each conference sends to playoffs 2 division winners and 2 wild cards. Top record in conference plays WC2. Other division winner plays WC1. Winners meet in Conference Final. Conference winners rank 1-4 based on regular season record. 1-4, 2-3 play in Cup Semifinals. Winners play in Cup Final.

Advantages -
1. Current alignment with future expansion means the most you typically play a rival in regular season is 4 games. Sometimes 5, but with unbalanced home-away schedule. Proposal puts many strongest rivalries together for 6 regular season games. Vast majority of current division rivalries are retained within conferences at worst, meaning 4 games and no loss in the amount of regular season matchups)

2. Balances all home-and-aways. No 3 or 5 game schedules against anybody.

3. Detroit is reunited with Chicago through division. Reunited with Colorado, Nashville, Dallas, and St. Louis through conference. These were always huge draws.

4. First two rounds of playoffs still never cross more than 1 time zone. Only exception would be DET/COL, which would be a classic rivalry matchup and no one would be complaining about it starting @ 8 in DET and @ 6 in Denver.

5. More potential Stanley Cup Final matchups. NYR vs BOS, DET vs. TOR, PHI vs. MTL, CGY vs. WPG, CHI vs. LAK...etc.

6. No need for current "crossover" rules used in the divisional playoffs. Conference rivalries emphasized to a greater extent.
Interesting. Regular season games balances out. But I highly doubt that the western conference teams have much desire to play games in rounds 1-2 up to 2 time zones away.

My gut says that when Seattle arrives they play divisional playoffs in rounds 1&2 to limit travel.

East is pretty simple as there is 1 time zone. Vancouver in 2011 played Chicago and Nashville in rounds 1&2. I suspect that they drop the WC and go 1 vs 4. Tough luck to the #5/6 place teams if their division is stronger.

Reactions: klabob

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Whatever happens, the NHL needs to rename the so called "Atlantic" division, in which a grand total of 2 of the 8 teams are located anywhere near the Atlantic ocean.

Deegee

Oct 29, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary should be in the second division. The rivaly between the three teams is developed. Moving Calgary and Edmonton to the Central is a terrible idea.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Interesting. Regular season games balances out. But I highly doubt that the western conference teams have much desire to play games in rounds 1-2 up to 2 time zones away.

My gut says that when Seattle arrives they play divisional playoffs in rounds 1&2 to limit travel.

East is pretty simple as there is 1 time zone. Vancouver in 2011 played Chicago and Nashville in rounds 1&2. I suspect that they drop the WC and go 1 vs 4. Tough luck to the #5/6 place teams if their division is stronger.

All 8 Western Conference teams in my alignment are in the Pacific/Mountain zones. It's a 4 conference setup. There is no East/West anymore.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Big fan of this approach. Also, I think there's a way to tweak the Atlantic and Metro divisions to almost make everyone happy...

A1: TOR, BOS, MTL, OTT
A2: TBL, FLA, WSH, CAR

M1: NJD, NYR, NYI, BUF
M2: DET, CBJ, PIT, PHI

I guess only issues are breaking up WSH-PIT and leaving BUF without its traditional rivals. There's no perfect solution though and Buffalo is fairly close to Detroit, Columbus and Pittsburgh
You could just switch up A2 and M1. So Eastern conference would consist of:

A1: TOR, BOS, MTL, OTT
A2: NJD, NYR, NYI, BUF

M1: TBL, FLA, WSH, CAR
M2: DET, CBJ, PIT, PHI

I think that would please a lot of teams and could be the most optimal situation. But yea, that's the best proposal I've seen. Playoff format could be 2 best teams from both eight team groups and the rest 4 teams being wild card teams.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Seattle joins the Pacific and has instant rivalry with Vancouver. Colorado rejoins Pacific. Edmonton and Calgary move to the Central.

Arizona stays in Pacific since it has the same time as the Pacific time zone for the beginning and end of the hockey season. If Arizona ever emerged from the basement, it would have a big rivalry with Las Vegas and the California teams.

The big issue with the Central division are the geographic and population gaps. Thus the periodic rumors of Kansas City and Houston to create rivalries with neighboring franchises.

Ditto with the Southeast. Houston is held up as an untapped large corporate market. Its doppelganger is..... Atlanta. Unfortunately both Atlanta reams were run into the ground by crooked owners. For all the talk about non traditional markets and a population that won't pick it up, what explains the success of their soccer team?

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Seattle joins the Pacific and has instant rivalry with Vancouver. Colorado rejoins Pacific. Edmonton and Calgary move to the Central.

Arizona stays in Pacific since it has the same time as the Pacific time zone for the beginning and end of the hockey season. If Arizona ever emerged from the basement, it would have a big rivalry with Las Vegas and the California teams.

The big issue with the Central division are the geographic and population gaps. Thus the periodic rumors of Kansas City and Houston to create rivalries with neighboring franchises.

Ditto with the Southeast. Houston is held up as an untapped large corporate market. Its doppelganger is..... Atlanta. Unfortunately both Atlanta reams were run into the ground by crooked owners. For all the talk about non traditional markets and a population that won't pick it up, what explains the success of their soccer team?
Colorado, Edmonton and Calgary are all in the mountain time zone, they should be together

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
The only other way, and now thinking of it, this would be my preferred choice, is...

View attachment 143605

The alignment based on your map makes the most sense. Leaving Edmonton and Calgary in the Pacific is a good idea. I can't see them wanting to increase their travel by moving them to the Central. However, placing Tampa Bay and Florida in a division with Carolina, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Washington seems appropriate based on geography rather than being in a division with Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto. The most likely scenario by the NHL will be just to move Arizona to the Central once Seattle joins the league.

:jets

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
@DrSanchez but I want to make this complicated... The owners have said they want more teams in the playoffs. What about having two conferences with four 4-team divisions in them?

Top 2 from each 4-team division make the playoffs. 2 wild card teams play a one game wild card play-in series. Top 3 from each conference get a first round bye.

ANA
LAK
SJS
ARI

VAN
SEA
CGY
EDM

MIN
WPG
CHI
DET

STL
COL
DAL
VGK

NYR
NJD
NYI
BUF

WSH
PIT
PHI
CBJ

TOR
BOS
MTL
OTT

TBL
FLA
CAR
NSH

If a representative from the league would like to get in touch regarding a job offering at the NHL you can reach me via PM on here.
You would probably want to switch Boston with Buffalo since Boston is closer to all those cities than Buffalo is

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Until the pain of multiple time zones and longer travel is more equitably distributed, the “eastern” conference teams will continue to have an unfair seasonal advantage ranging from travel time, travel miles, time zone differential, sleep opportunity, to practice opportunity, and more. Almost every grouping of teams listed in this thread perpetuates this inequality.

Obviously, there is no reason for Eastern teams to change the status quo, and no way NHL leadership will try to force a change and alienate half the owners. I doubt a fair distribution of teams within two conferences, each of which would span the continental width as seen in the other major NA sports, will ever occur.

Mike Louis

Feb 7, 2010
Honolulu, HI
The realignment may end up having as much to do with internal politics of the BoG as it does with any of the attempted logic seen in a thread like. Remember that it takes a 3/4 majority to approve realignment.

When you do take into account the internal politics within the BoG, one would have to believe that moving Arizona to the Central Division is the least bad option for the league.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Won't work. Detroit doesn't really care about historic rivalries. They care that most of their away games start at 7pm their time rather than 8-10pm. That has a major impact on TV viewership and is the main reason (along with travel times) that Detroit was so adamant about joining the East. Same goes for Columbus. When Detroit and Columbus were relocated to the Eastern Conference, the league promised that neither would be moved back to a Western division without consent.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
For all the talk about non traditional markets and a population that won't pick it up, what explains the success of their soccer team?

Arthur Blank owns them. One of the better owners in sports.

By the way I agree with your statement about the Coyotes building rivalries with Vegas and the California teams if they can pull themselves together and put a contender on the ice. I mentioned the same thing last year in the first Coyotes/Knights game.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
90% chance Arizona gets pushed to the Central
7% chance Arizona relocates to Houston and moves to the Central
2% chance Calgary's stadium deal falls through and they're the team that relocates to Houston (and the Central) instead
1% chance of something else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad