Re-Alignment with Seattle

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
Has there been any discussion on potential re-alignment when Seattle joins the league?

Doesn’t make much sense to stick them in the 7-team central division. Would they move to the pacific and bump a team like Vegas to the central?

I know this wouldn’t make sense for Nashville fans but ideally the NHL could move Detroit back to the central (revive Chicago/Colorado rivalries and they’re invisible sitting in the Atlantic right now), Nashville to the Atlantic (proximity to Florida and Carolina), Vegas to the Central (no rivalries established) and Seattle to the Pacific (instant Vancouver rivalry and proximity to western Canada/California).

Reactions: Faterson

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Has there been any discussion on potential re-alignment when Seattle joins the league?

Doesn’t make much sense to stick them in the 7-team central division. Would they move to the pacific and bump a team like Vegas to the central?

I know this wouldn’t make sense for Nashville fans but ideally the NHL could move Detroit back to the central (revive Chicago/Colorado rivalries), Nashville to the Atlantic (proximity to Florida and Carolina), Vegas to the Central (no rivalries established) and Seattle to the Pacific (instant Vancouver rivalry and proximity to western Canada/California).
why would the league put a team like Detroit that is on est in the west. wont give that any thought at all. Arizona coming to the central is most likely

and 99 others

Jul 27, 2011
why would the league put a team like Detroit that is on est in the west. wont give that any thought at all. Arizona coming to the central is most likely

Crap I thought Detroit was on CST, stupid Central America

and 99 others

Jul 27, 2011
@DrSanchez but I want to make this complicated... The owners have said they want more teams in the playoffs. What about having two conferences with four 4-team divisions in them?

Top 2 from each 4-team division make the playoffs. 2 wild card teams play a one game wild card play-in series. Top 3 from each conference get a first round bye.

ANA
LAK
SJS
ARI

VAN
SEA
CGY
EDM

MIN
WPG
CHI
DET

STL
COL
DAL
VGK

NYR
NJD
NYI
BUF

WSH
PIT
PHI
CBJ

TOR
BOS
MTL
OTT

TBL
FLA
CAR
NSH

If a representative from the league would like to get in touch regarding a job offering at the NHL you can reach me via PM on here.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Crap I thought Detroit was on CST, stupid Central America

Vegas is also in the PTZ, which wouldn't make sense for a move to the Central.

The funny thing is that there are now too many teams in the western half of the US. In the previous alignment, the 5 team divisions, with Seattle it would be good. There would be no Dallas in the Pacific because they had nowhere else to put them.

Van/Edm/Cal/Sea/Col
SJ/LA/Ana/Veg/Ari

Those divisions make more sense than they did with Minnesota and Dallas, but we're beyond that option now.

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
I don't know about "not give that any thought at all", they were in the Western Conference just 4 years ago. Not saying it makes sense or is reasonable, just that the league has used this method despite your justification not to, just like many others arguing the same thing.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It might make some sense logistically to move Arizona to the Central since they don't observe daylight savings. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember being thrown off when my friend moved to Tucson years ago and I inadvertently woke her up with a phone call.

Quick look at the Coyotes schedule this year:
November 27th: @ Minnesota starts at 6pm local
December 4th: @ Los Angeles starts at 8:30pm local

I suppose it's up for debate whether you'd get better ratings with a 6pm start versus 8pm or later.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Currently, there is one Mountain Time Zone team in the Central (Colorado). With realignment, there will be two.

I would like to see Edmonton and Calgary join the Central and push Colorado to the Pacific.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Detroit Red Wings
Florida Panthers
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs

Metropolitan Division
Carolina Hurricanes
Columbus Blue Jackets
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals

Western Conference

Central Division
Calgary Flames
Chicago Blackhawks
Dallas Stars
Edmonton Oilers
Minnesota Wild
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets

Pacific Division
Anaheim Ducks
Arizona Coyotes
Colorado Avalanche
Los Angeles Kings
San Jose Sharks
Seattle
Vancouver Canucks
Vegas Golden Knights

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
@DrSanchez but I want to make this complicated... The owners have said they want more teams in the playoffs. What about having two conferences with four 4-team divisions in them?

Top 2 from each 4-team division make the playoffs. 2 wild card teams play a one game wild card play-in series. Top 3 from each conference get a first round bye.

ANA
LAK
SJS
ARI

VAN
SEA
CGY
EDM

MIN
WPG
CHI
DET

STL
COL
DAL
VGK

NYR
NJD
NYI
BUF

WSH
PIT
PHI
CBJ

TOR
BOS
MTL
OTT

TBL
FLA
CAR
NSH

If a representative from the league would like to get in touch regarding a job offering at the NHL you can reach me via PM on here.

Not a bad alignment but swap ARI and VGK. Arizona is MST and Vegas is PST.

I’m confused on the playoff system though...wouldn’t it end with an odd number of teams?

Reactions: Hawaii Honu

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Eastern Conference
Atlantic Division

Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs

Metropolitan Division
Carolina Hurricanes
Columbus Blue Jackets
Florida Panthers
New Jersey Devils
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals

Western Conference
Central Division

Arizona Coyotes
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Dallas Stars
Minnesota Wild
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets

Pacific Division
Anaheim Ducks
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
San Jose Sharks
Seattle Whatstherenames
Vancouver Canucks
Vegas Golden Knights​

Last edited:

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
All that is left is to move Flordia to Quebec and finding a new home for Arizona somewhere in the west. If another team is really struggling in the East then hopefully Toronto will get a second team

Reactions: thegr8one66

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Eastern Conference
Atlantic Division

Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs

Metreopolitan Division
Carolina Hurricanes
Columbus Blue Jackets
Florida Panthers
New Jersey Devils
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals

Western Conference
Central Division

Arizona Coyotes
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Dallas Stars
Minnesota Wild
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets

Pacific Division
Anaheim Ducks
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
San Jose Sharks
Seattle Whatstherenames
Vancouver Canucks
Vegas Golden Knights​
The issue with the Atlantic division is that it becomes super weak. You take out the Panthers and the lighting and your down to 2 playoff teams of the 8. Obviously a 3rd team makes it under the rules but a lot of those teams are rebuilding/retooling so it harms the divisions talent and competitive level

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->