RDS new website (BETA)

terreur

Jan 27, 2006
Montreal
I find it too "in your face" if that makes sense :dunno:

No, I agree! I find the text too big and the main picture too big also.

At first glance you only get to read 4-5 lines which is IMO bad because I always liked being able to read 7-8 news right when I got on the website.

I guess we'll get used to it, but I don't like my first impression...

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Fluid but not responsive.

Failure.

I find it too "in your face" if that makes sense :dunno:

Agreed...my first reaction is that they need to shrink everything down a bit.

It looks like a site that was made more for mobile browsing than for reading on an actual monitor.

At first glance you only get to read 4-5 lines which is IMO bad because I always liked being able to read 7-8 news right when I got on the website.

I guess we'll get used to it, but I don't like my first impression...

On the left of the site you can submit your opinion.

Hopefully they can still improve the site

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Here is what I sent them.

"Je trouve le site un peu mieux que l'ancien, mais il faudrait réduire un peu le format de tout.

Il images sont grosses et on peut seulement voir quelques nouvelles à la fois au premier coup d'oeil.

Si je vais sur le site de TSN par exemple, on peut voir 13 manchettes (Headline).

Il faut compacter l'information.

Je vous invite à lire les critiques de votre site sur le plus gros forum de hockey qui existe.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=58747175&posted=1#post58747175

L'opinion des membres penche tous dans la même direction"

Windymind

Aug 2, 2010
It is an improvement IMO. Although it needs some fine tuning. I'm happy the site will evolve.

True. The site size too wide which increases the font size and images. The same structure a bit smaller wouldn't make your head to back off the screen to be able to read.

The font narrow is hard to read.

The shadow on top of pictures doesn't make the text to stand out enough.

It's hard to find the video content...

But overall I like it a lot. Thank you for taking the time to attack that task.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Here is what I sent them.

"Je trouve le site un peu mieux que l'ancien, mais il faudrait réduire un peu le format de tout.

Il images sont grosses et on peut seulement voir quelques nouvelles à la fois au premier coup d'oeil.

Si je vais sur le site de TSN par exemple, on peut voir 13 manchettes (Headline).

Il faut compacter l'information.

Je vous invite à lire les critiques de votre site sur le plus gros forum de hockey qui existe.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=58747175&posted=1#post58747175

L'opinion des membres penche tous dans la même direction"

I doubt they'll come and read this. Are you an anglo? Your message to them was weirdly structured (no offence bro!)

Anyway I agree it's too big. I'm not on an iPad I'm on a computer.

Dec 2, 2010
It's a beta guys chill out. For those that don't know: A beta is a little test environment to work on issues with the product before actual release.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Meh, they did a decent job to make the site a little less cluttered, the ergonomics of it are still total garbage... Réseau des BS at it's best again.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
My eyes hurt after looking at for more than 10 seconds. Way too much going on. It looks like it was designed by a high schooler lol

I think ESPN has by far the best format when it comes to sports sites.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
It's a beta guys chill out. For those that don't know: A beta is a little test environment to work on issues with the product before actual release.

And generally, feedback is expected when you allow members of the public to test out your beta product. That's the entire point of making it public. And people are sharing their feedback here too. No one needs to "chill out" because no one is freaking out.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I doubt they'll come and read this. Are you an anglo? Your message to them was weirdly structured (no offence bro!)

Anyway I agree it's too big. I'm not on an iPad I'm on a computer.

No Im not anglo I guess I didnt take the time the make something clear like their website. :laugh:

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Looks like you don't know much about Web Design if you think so.

Whoever made it doesn't know much about web design either.

Nowadays it's all about esthetics, ergonomics and intuitivity, none of which are even remotely present in this site.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Whoever made it doesn't know much about web design either.

Nowadays it's all about esthetics, ergonomics and intuitivity, none of which are even remotely present in this site.

And the beta is all that.

We all agree that it might be too big (they could potentially save a lot of space so we can see more information in a smaller range).

But... The design itself is a standard html 5 / jQuery style, which has been the trend the last few years. It's beautiful, has nice colors and easy to read.

Ergonomically, the site is well done. It's like a hamburger and not confusing... Seriously very straight to the point and intuitive:
-scores-
-navbar-
-headlines-
-editorials-
-blog-
-interactivity (concours/poll)-
-vids-
-schedule-
-social networks-
-footer-
Whereas the current site is all mixed up, your eyes don't know where to go and there is way too much information condensed.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Wow, that site looks awful. I don't know what JF is saying about how it looks like a hamburger, or whatever, it isn't pleasing to the eye.

It looks like it's trying to look like Windows 8's Metro UI. I hope the final product looks completely different, or I'll visit the site even less than I do now.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
And the beta is all that.

We all agree that it might be too big (they could potentially save a lot of space so we can see more information in a smaller range).

But... The design itself is a standard html 5 / jQuery style, which has been the trend the last few years. It's beautiful, has nice colors and easy to read.

Ergonomically, the site is well done. It's like a hamburger and not confusing... Seriously very straight to the point and intuitive:
-scores-
-navbar-
-headlines-
-editorials-
-blog-
-interactivity (concours/poll)-
-vids-
-schedule-
-social networks-
-footer-
Whereas the current site is all mixed up, your eyes don't know where to go and there is way too much information condensed.

I guess we have very different standards, I think it's far from beautiful and easy to read. That triple nav bar is just way too much, they could keep it hidden when you don't go over (like it is on the home page). There is very little breathing room, the gutters are tiny and everything else is HUGE. I will agree that the site is better in all three aspects I mentioned, but it is nowhere near optimal. I could go on and on, but I'll end it there, not like I would ever want to be an art director for the RDS account.

Also, releasing their site as a BETA is a complete marketing failure IMO. I don't know any designers who like to deal with a backseat design committee, imagine if that committee is Québec sports fans at large... Wouldn't wanna be working on this project and I most certainly wouldn't wanna witness the results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad