RD Victor Soderstrom (2019, 11th, ARZ)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
And I'm saying it's crazy to take your teams best RD, and put him on the 3rd line with a player that's not ready. Also if Goli was an option at LD, and he wasn't better utilized on Chychrun's pair, why wouldn't they be using Oesterle there? Oesterle plays better on the right side. Oh I know why. Because he's not, and Tocchet realizes this and employs Goli on the right side because he knows that's whats better for his team. Just like it was better for the team to not have Soderstrom on it this season. Not only is he not ready in terms of his skill and talent level, he's not physically mature to handle the rigours.

You don't dismantle your teams best option so you can string together 2 worse pairings. It's actually hilarious you think that's a winning strategy.

Tocchet puts Goligoski on Chych's right because Chych is a much better defender and can shelter Goligoski. Goligoski is capable of playing the right without shitting the bed so this becomes an option. Demers is a stronger natural defender, so he gets the job of babysitting an injured OEL. Oesterle has had his own struggles, compounded by having 2 non NHL caliber D as his partner throughout the season in Lyubushki and Ness. Tocchet crutches on the top 2 pairs and tries to shield the bottom pair as much as possible. Mixed results, considering how bad OEL has been due to injury.

When Hjalmarsson comes back, Goligoski will move back down in the lineup. He doesn't play well with OEL and Chychrun ain't moving down, probably ever again.

At this point you're just arguing a top 15 pick and a top pairing player in the SHL couldn't beat out a career AHLer and a plug KHLer that can't pass the puck forward for the 6/7 spot. That's dumb and everyone knows it. That wasn't even the original argument posted by that troll, which was even more absurd; that all the time Soderstrom spent in camp competing for a job and playing in the preseason (which said poster didn't even watch) was all for show. A 'parade'. No one should take him or you seriously.

You're welcome to continue arguing the point in all caps but nobody really cares. The pick stands on its own and Coyotes fans are thrilled with it. People that admit to not even watching the player spouting off about him doesn't even move the needle. It's bizarre and entertaining though. I hope you get a cookie for responding to the 'Buch' bat signal.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Tocchet puts Goligoski on Chych's right because Chych is a much better defender and can shelter Goligoski. Goligoski is capable of playing the right without ****ting the bed so this becomes an option. Demers is a stronger natural defender, so he gets the job of babysitting an injured OEL. Oesterle has had his own struggles, compounded by having 2 non NHL caliber D as his partner throughout the season in Lyubushki and Ness. Tocchet crutches on the top 2 pairs and tries to shield the bottom pair as much as possible. Mixed results, considering how bad OEL has been due to injury.

When Hjalmarsson comes back, Goligoski will move back down in the lineup. He doesn't play well with OEL and Chychrun ain't moving down, probably ever again.

At this point you're just arguing a top 15 pick and a top pairing player in the SHL couldn't beat out a career AHLer and a plug KHLer that can't pass the puck forward for the 6/7 spot. That's dumb and everyone knows it. That wasn't even the original argument posted by that troll, which was even more absurd; that all the time Soderstrom spent in camp competing for a job and playing in the preseason (which said poster didn't even watch) was all for show. A 'parade'. No one should take him or you seriously.

You're welcome to continue arguing the point in all caps but nobody really cares. The pick stands on its own and Coyotes fans are thrilled with it. People that admit to not even watching the player spouting off about him doesn't even move the needle. It's bizarre and entertaining though. I hope you get a cookie for responding to the 'Buch' bat signal.

k. Sorry I didn't know Soderstrom has been playing in the NHL all this time and wasn't sent down by Chayka and real hockey minds. My apologies. Thank god these hockey minds listen to you and your infinite wisdom.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
k. Sorry I didn't know Soderstrom has been playing in the NHL all this time and wasn't sent down by Chayka and real hockey minds. My apologies. Thank god these hockey minds listen to you and your infinite wisdom.
Yes he was sent down. He didn't make it. Doesn't change the fact that he was better than 2/3 of our D at pre season, and that Chayka would be stupid to not at least consider keeping him up.

I suspect Söderström wouldn't be too happy if he didn't get a shot to prove himself at the Coyotes camp and instead was sent back early to attend Brynäs season preparations.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
1) It doesn't matter what's happened over the last decade or the majority of the career, it matters where the playere is now in their career and how to best utilize them. He is better on the right side. And that's why he's utilized there. I'm glad you think you, a blind person, is better qualified to make this decision than an NHL coach like Tocchet. Bless you.

2) Oesterle is serviceable. He's been that way his whole career. He's not a world beater though. But here's the thing. HE'S A BETTER OPTION THAN SODERSTROM RIGHT NOW. And gee whiz! It looks like Chayka and Tocchet agree! Wow! I would have thought they'd agree with the blind man!

3) He does. It's the side he was brought up on in the Oilers org, it's the side he scored his first goal, it's the side he's more frequently played this season.

Arizona Coyotes Line Combinations | Arizona Coyotes Line Combos | leftwinglock.com

4) Yep, I'm the one out of my depth. I'm the one who's supposedly "watched" this team for 23 years and is dead wrong about everything lol. Okay! I'm packing up! Yep! I'm packing up! *pretends to walk away knowing full well the blind man can't tell*

Get Siri to read this to you: Soderstrom wasn't good enough or ready enough to play this year. NHL professionals agreed with this idea. You're an embarrassment to the Coyotes board.

1) Goligoski is playing the right side because Hjalmarsson is hurt and they’ve found chemistry with Chychrun. That’s it. It’s not because he’s “better” on the right side. You’d know that if you knew anything about the Coyotes.

2) Oesterle is a fine 6/7. I didn’t say otherwise. You claimed it was outrageous to think Soderstrom could have made the team over Oesterle. It’s not. He didn’t. But that’s not what’s being argued. You said there was no chance that could happen. As though Oesterle couldn’t possible be unseated. Oesterle will have plenty of healthy scratches in his near future.

3) You’re once again conflating a player’s ability to play the right side with some superiority on that side. I said in my original post that you first quoted that Oesterle plays both sides. Pointing that out again is not proving anything. You’ve done absolutely nothing to establish he’s BETTER on the right side. He’s not. Neither is Goligoski.

You’re failing to understand basic logic. The simple fact that a player has played on their offside is is not proof that they are better there.

Oesterle needs that flexibility just to stay in the lineup. Goligoski is helping make up for the loss of Hjalmarsson.

4) Once again, you’re pretending the argument is something that it’s not because you’re too embarrassed that you said something stupid.

Let me refresh your memory again, because you can’t seem to keep your own words straight:

“There's not a chance in hell they'd either play Soderstrom on his offside as an 18 year old and sit Oesterle or sit Demers/Goligoski for Soderstrom...”

First issue is “not a chance in hell”. Initially I took that for more than it’s worth. I can see in the way you express yourself that this is just typical. I guess because you’re insecure and not very intelligent.

But obviously there was a chance in hell. It nearly happened. He nearly made the team. It was close. Had he stayed in Tucson, he’d be in the NHL now.

Anyway, the point you were actually making is hat he’d have to play the left side or unseat Demers or Goligoski. That’s obviously not true. Goligoski is a natural LD can could have simply slid over. But you didn’t know that.

This entire outburst and temper tantrum from you is because you didn’t just admit you forgot Goligoski typically plays the left side and is only playing the right side because Hjalmarsson is hurt and he’s found some chemistry with Chychrun.

My initial response to you was that it’s really got nothing to do with the Coyotes being full on the right side.

Then you got scared and started crying.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
1) Goligoski is playing the right side because Hjalmarsson is hurt and they’ve found chemistry with Chychrun. That’s it. It’s not because he’s “better” on the right side. You’d know that if you knew anything about the Coyotes.

2) Oesterle is a fine 6/7. I didn’t say otherwise. You claimed it was outrageous to think Soderstrom could have made the team over Oesterle. It’s not. He didn’t. But that’s not what’s being argued. You said there was no chance that could happen. As though Oesterle couldn’t possible be unseated. Oesterle will have plenty of healthy scratches in his near future.

3) You’re once again conflating a player’s ability to play the right side with some superiority on that side. I said in my original post that you first quoted that Oesterle plays both sides. Pointing that out again is not proving anything. You’ve done absolutely nothing to establish he’s BETTER on the right side. He’s not. Neither is Goligoski.

You’re failing to understand basic logic. The simple fact that a player has played on their offside is is not proof that they are better there.

Oesterle needs that flexibility just to stay in the lineup. Goligoski is helping make up for the loss of Hjalmarsson.

4) Once again, you’re pretending the argument is something that it’s not because you’re too embarrassed that you said something stupid.

Let me refresh your memory again, because you can’t seem to keep your own words straight:

“There's not a chance in hell they'd either play Soderstrom on his offside as an 18 year old and sit Oesterle or sit Demers/Goligoski for Soderstrom...”

First issue is “not a chance in hell”. Initially I took that for more than it’s worth. I can see in the way you express yourself that this is just typical. I guess because you’re insecure and not very intelligent.

But obviously there was a chance in hell. It nearly happened. He nearly made the team. It was close. Had he stayed in Tucson, he’d be in the NHL now.

Anyway, the point you were actually making is hat he’d have to play the left side or unseat Demers or Goligoski. That’s obviously not true. Goligoski is a natural LD can could have simply slid over. But you didn’t know that.

This entire outburst and temper tantrum from you is because you didn’t just admit you forgot Goligoski typically plays the left side and is only playing the right side because Hjalmarsson is hurt and he’s found some chemistry with Chychrun.

My initial response to you was that it’s really got nothing to do with the Coyotes being full on the right side.

Then you got scared and started crying.

That is the most contrived but of non-sense on the entire board. And the fact you're constantly calling into question my intelligence is proof enough that you have zero arguement here. You're grasping at straws, realizing you have no arguement so you start slinging insults. It's trademark loser talk.

1) WRONG. Goligoski was playing predominately RD to start the season WITH Hjalmarsson who was playing on the left side. Here's proof:

Arizona Coyotes Line Combinations | Arizona Coyotes Line Combos | leftwinglock.com

https://imgur.com/XYEZGTK.jpg

Nice lie though.

2) Ya I did say that. Because guess what, Oesterle right now, (or rather at the start of the season) is better than Soderstrom. NHL professionals agreed because Oesterle made the team, and Soderstrom did not. There's no arguing that. Do you honestly think teams are like "NAH I'M GOING TO SIT THE BETTER PLAYER AND HURT MY CHANCES OF WINNING" nope. So again... WRONG. You like being wrong. Must be your thing.

3) Oesterle has always played better on the right hand side. I've followed his career since Western Michigan. And wait for it.... I guess you're wrong again because Tocchet felt Goligoski played better on the right even at the start of the season as I displayed with proof in #1. Goligoski's play on the right side has been a revelation. I feel like he's rejuvenated his career. It opens up his game so much more.

4) "Once again, you’re pretending the argument is something that it’s not because you’re too embarrassed that you said something stupid." projecting much? I am embarassed though. For you. You keep digging a hole and keep talking non-sense. I should share this with the Coyotes boards to prove what a fake you are.

So no... as much as you're trying to shift reality... BECAUSE IT ALREADY HAPPENED... Soderstrom is and was not good enough to make the Coyotes team out of camp. He had a great camp. And played some great exhibition games against inferior lineups. He could be a good one, but in this reality (not the made up crazy reality you think you live in) he was cut. WAKE UP and deal with reality, it's seriously a bit scary.

Change your name to FAKE COYOTE NEWS.

rt

May 13, 2004
You were obviously the first to use insults. You brought them in. Sorry you can dish them out (however poorly) but can’t take them at all without throwing a tantrum.

You have completely lost the plot of your own argument and are obviously either unable to follow the conversation or willfully ignoring it to keep up some pathetic idea of appearances.

The concept of you thinking that exposing me as a fake to the Coyotes forum being a meaningful threat really sums you up. It shows a lot about what’s important to you in this discussion.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Södeström > Byram.
I'm a big Soderstrom fan but not sure if I agree with this. But who knows.

The 2019 D crop is just crazy to rate at this point and will remain that way for awhile-
Byram
Broberg
Seider
Soderstrom
York
Harley
Bjornfoot
Heinola
Thomson
(heck I may be missing one or 2).... is it possible all of those teams hit on Dmen in the 1st rd?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
You were obviously the first to use insults. You brought them in. Sorry you can dish them out (however poorly) but can’t take them at all without throwing a tantrum.

You have completely lost the plot of your own argument and are obviously either unable to follow the conversation or willfully ignoring it to keep up some pathetic idea of appearances.

The concept of you thinking that exposing me as a fake to the Coyotes forum being a meaningful threat really sums you up. It shows a lot about what’s important to you in this discussion.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. It's hilarious you completely disregard all the facts I displayed, despite you begging for them.

I've stayed true to exactly my point, there wasn't a chance in hell that they were sitting Oesterle, Goligoski, or Demers to play Soderstrom at this point in his career. And guess what? That's what happened in reality. He never made the team. Get over it, and maybe start actually watching some games.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
They wouldn't have had to.

LOL. You're completely Monday morning quarterbacking this. They had no idea Hjalmarsson would be injured. He didn't get hurt until a few games into the season, which of course you'd know if you actually watched the games.

rt

May 13, 2004
LOL. You're completely Monday morning quarterbacking this. They had no idea Hjalmarsson would be injured. He didn't get hurt until a few games into the season, which of course you'd know if you actually watched the games.
Adding Goligoski and Demers in with Oesterle is a complete red herring. They have nothing to do with Oesterle. He's half the player they are. They have nothing to do with this. There is no reason whatsover for you to invoke those names in discussing who Soderstrom would have potentially subplanted.

Did they decide to keep Soderstrom and sit Oesterle? Obviously not. Your claim was that there was no chance in hell that they would have. I think there was a very good chance they very nearly did. Oesterle is a passable depth player and nothing more. Soderstrom is already better than Lyubushkin and Ness. It's probably a close race with Oesterle. In any event, regardless of whether Hjalmarsson was healthy or injured, Soderstrom would not have subplanted Demers or Goligoski. He would not have had to. The names you should have used were Oesterle and Lyubushkin. Soderstrom is already better than Lyubushkin and not any worse than Oesterle, who is a pretty forgettable player.

Of course you already know that. Because I already posted this:

Healthy:
OEL-Demers
Chychrun-Hjalmarsson
Goligoski-Soderstrom
Oesterle

Injured:
OEL-Demers
Chychrun-Goligoski
Oesterle-Soderstrom
Lyubushkin

And I also already explained this in my very first response to you. He had only to beat Oesterle. Claiming there was NO CHANCE IN HELL is absurd. It was close. And throwing in Goligoski and Demers was utter fallacy.

Acting as though I'm claiming Soderstrom did beat Oesterle and is on the Coyotes roster is absurd and is a clear as day strawman fallacy. In fact, during your little tantrum here, I think you may have used just about every logical fallacy and cognitive bias known to man. Your attempt at discourse could be a case study in those subjects. It's sad. I can't teach you how to think, or to interpret information, or reason, or how to communicate. I don't have the time or the skillset. You're going to have to wait for life to teach you, I guess. I don't really see the point in continuing this.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Adding Goligoski and Demers in with Oesterle is a complete red herring. They have nothing to do with Oesterle. He's half the player they are. They have nothing to do with this. There is no reason whatsover for you to invoke those names in discussing who Soderstrom would have potentially subplanted.

Did they decide to keep Soderstrom and sit Oesterle? Obviously not. Your claim was that there was no chance in hell that they would have. I think there was a very good chance they very nearly did. Oesterle is a passable depth player and nothing more. Soderstrom is already better than Lyubushkin and Ness. It's probably a close race with Oesterle. In any event, regardless of whether Hjalmarsson was healthy or injured, Soderstrom would not have subplanted Demers or Goligoski. He would not have had to. The names you should have used were Oesterle and Lyubushkin. Soderstrom is already better than Lyubushkin and not any worse than Oesterle, who is a pretty forgettable player.

Of course you already know that. Because I already posted this:

Healthy:
OEL-Demers
Chychrun-Hjalmarsson
Goligoski-Soderstrom
Oesterle

Injured:
OEL-Demers
Chychrun-Goligoski
Oesterle-Soderstrom
Lyubushkin

And I also already explained this in my very first response to you. He had only to beat Oesterle. Claiming there was NO CHANCE IN HELL is absurd. It was close. And throwing in Goligoski and Demers was utter fallacy.

Acting as though I'm claiming Soderstrom did beat Oesterle and is on the Coyotes roster is absurd and is a clear as day strawman fallacy. In fact, during your little tantrum here, I think you may have used just about every logical fallacy and cognitive bias known to man. Your attempt at discourse could be a case study in those subjects. It's sad. I can't teach you how to think, or to interpret information, or reason, or how to communicate. I don't have the time or the skillset. You're going to have to wait for life to teach you, I guess. I don't really see the point in continuing this.

No, there wasn't a good chance, because you don't sit better players, Oesterle is currently better. Goligoski, Demers, and Hjalmarsson are also better. By a large margin. I'm sure that will change though. And you don't ruin high ceiling prospects by playing them when they're undersized and still growing. There wasn't a chance in hell that Chayka would risk the long term potential of a 1st rounder to usurp a player that the prospect wasn't even better than. That's the issue. You're the kind of person that thinks anything is possible. Like for example rt watching a Coyotes games, it could happen, but it never was going to happen. It was predetermined because you don't develop prospects that way. It wasn't close, because it was never going to happen. It's the same reason Harley never made the Stars. There's a science to this and I know for a fact the Coyotes and Stars use this philosophy. It's a trending philosophy in pro sports in regards to growth patterns, and bones, and injury in higher impact leagues. I know what you're thinking, "B-b-b-but why the Coyotes play Keller when he was 18 for 3 games? CHECK MATE guy who is smart at hockey" And the answer is Keller stopped growing. As I said there's an actual science to this. HUGE money is being poured into this.

Maybe you could research that tonight at 7pm est, because we all know you've got nothing to watch at that time. Since you're a fake.

Last edited:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
You're just raving at this point. What the **** are are you even talking about? You're now having an imaginary argument with me in your head? Take your pill man. Take two.

Again, you're ignoring facts, and just slinging insults.

The fact is Soderstrom wasn't good enough to make the team, and didn't because of internal philosophies regarding development on top of the fact he was not better than existing players. There's nothing to debate here.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Again, you're ignoring facts, and just slinging insults.

The fact is Soderstrom wasn't good enough to make the team, and didn't because of internal philosophies regarding development on top of the fact he was not better than existing players. There's nothing to debate here.
That was never the argument.

rt

May 13, 2004
“Victor Söderström was not on the initial roster for Sweden. He is still a possibility. Chayka said he suffered a minor injury recently and it was the Coyotes who pushed to hold him out extra time to make sure he was healthy.”

Neutral Zone: Examining the Coyotes’ place in the Taylor... Neutral Zone: Examining the Coyotes’ place in the Taylor Hall sweepstakes, Kessel’s return and more

cowgirlcath

Johnny Mony and Cathy
Jul 9, 2018
Calgary
He has been noticeable in all the best ways. Very jealous of Arizona. Good thing he won't be in our division for too long.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
His calm in all situations is almost otherworldly, just never seems to be rattled by anything.

Reactions: Star Ocean

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Swedish coaching
Read the post from rt above, sounds more like he had a minor injury and Arizona asked that he not be added to the team until they knew he’d be healthy.

Anyways, he’s been great. I’d say early favourites for “top dman of the tournament” are him and Romanov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad