RD Timothy Liljegren - Rogle BK, SHL (2017, 17th, TOR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
All of your posts trolling Liljegren are hilarious, especially the ones saying he went exactly where he should, and especially when one takes a look at your mock draft from May 15th after all his hockey had been played for the season, with no further performances that should have diminished his standing in your eyes. Seems you had him 7th overall, and cite his previous standing as a top 2 ranked player.

Who cares.. draft is over. A few years from now, a mock redraft will see a different order than the real draft. None of it matters. The Leafs got a player who was once highly ranked, who plays the exact position of need for the Leafs. Great.

Leafs fans are rabid, and will talk about him like crazy. It's far to premature to say anything about whether he was a steal, picked at the right spot, or even too early. As a Leaf fan, I'm glad that we got who we wanted, and needed....but... now we wait, let the player mature, and somewhere from two to four years from now, we might know what we've got... until then, we are just speculating.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Who cares.. draft is over. A few years from now, a mock redraft will see a different order than the real draft. None of it matters. The Leafs got a player who was once highly ranked, who plays the exact position of need for the Leafs. Great.

Leafs fans are rabid, and will talk about him like crazy. It's far to premature to say anything about whether he was a steal, picked at the right spot, or even too early. As a Leaf fan, I'm glad that we got who we wanted, and needed....but... now we wait, let the player mature, and somewhere from two to four years from now, we might know what we've got... until then, we are just speculating.

I think you missed the point of the post. The poster for pages has been harping on that Liljegren was picked where he was supposed to be, that he did not slide at all, and that people keep referring to his previous status as a top 2 ranked prospect. His mock from May counters all that he is arguing for pages (which was a little tiresome) on this thread.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He slid from a previous ranking, and ended up being drafted where he should have been....

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The hype is real lol, somehow a month after the draft he is now in the conversation for best player in the draft.

As a Leafs fan, I think your pick is very likely to be in the conversation for best player in the draft. His raw talent will probably give him a Nylander like career arc.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

this play?

All that shows is that he's capable of skating, he had like 40 feet of open space and turned it into a low percentage scoring opportunity. He's a good prospect and I like his upside but he's still a bit of a project.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
All that shows is that he's capable of skating, he had like 40 feet of open space and turned it into a low percentage scoring opportunity. He's a good prospect and I like his upside but he's still a bit of a project.

The video is sort of cut off but the dman cheated towards the wall so the best spot to go was likely the middle especially with the second guy driving the net drawing in the other defender. If he goes wide there he ends up in the corner and likely doesn't put the puck on net.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
He made a great play to move it back up ice, but once in the O zone, he doesn't see an open man to his right who would have been in a better position to score, quicker.

He got hooked and had to fight through the contact to generate a shot/rebound on net. Can't really expect him to lay a pass right after what should have been, a minor. Was the right play, but really, the only reason this is a highlight reel is because of the defensive play on the other end.

He had many better zone entries throughout the game where he wasn't getting hooked. For the most part though, the Swedish forwards weren't playing at the same caliber he was. It was very much a gong show up front.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Tell that to the guys who won't stop talking about Liljegren's ranking a year ago. Why can't he just be part of a big group of defensemen drafted from #13-#18, all with question marks, all with upside?

Is he a Bruins prospect? no, no he's not. Why are you so obsessed with the Leafs? is anyone forcing you to post here?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The video is sort of cut off but the dman cheated towards the wall so the best spot to go was likely the middle especially with the second guy driving the net drawing in the other defender. If he goes wide there he ends up in the corner and likely doesn't put the puck on net.

The video is pretty roughly cropped but I'd really have liked to see a pass there. IMO there should have been a better chance available, there.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
All of your posts trolling Liljegren are hilarious, especially the ones saying he went exactly where he should, and especially when one takes a look at your mock draft from May 15th after all his hockey had been played for the season, with no further performances that should have diminished his standing in your eyes. Seems you had him 7th overall, and cite his previous standing as a top 2 ranked player.

Zharkenby Mock May 15th http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=132405699&highlight=liljegren#post132405699

2017 Mock
1. New Jersey Devils- Nico Hischier
While I think its more likely they go with patrick, I believe Hischier is a better pick for the devils. I dont think the devils have had a player this skilled in their history. Play reminds me of Datysuk.

2. Philadelphia Flyers- Nolan Patrick
Patrick slips to 2nd not because of injuries, but more because of how dynamic Hischier was this year. Not much else to say, the flyers nab whoever the devils don't take. Fits flyers nasty style of play

3. Dallas Stars- Casey Mittelstadt
Dallas adds another high end forward to go along with Benn and Seguin. Argued by some to be the top forward in the draft

4. Colorado Avalanche-Miro Heiskanen
Colorado needs help pretty much everywhere, so they go BPA

5. Vancouver Canucks- Gabe Vilardi
Canucks are thrilled to get vilardi at 5. Size and strength is something their lineup currently lacks.

6. Vegas Golden Knights- Cody Glass
Had comparable numbers to Nolan Patrick, Vegas needs a center to build its team around long term. Glass will fit that.

7. Arizona Coyotes- Timothy Liljegren
After taking chychurn last year, Arizona takes a risk with another dman who was at one point supposed to go top 2.

8. Buffalo Sabres- Owen Tippett
Elite scoring winger who will play alongside Eichel for a long time, will be a dynamic duo for buffalo.

9. Detroit Redwings- Elias Petterson
May have more raw skill than anyone in the draft besides hischier. needs to put on weight, but if he does hell be an elite forward for the wings.

10. Florida Panthers- Cale Makar
Possibly the best skater in the draft. Will take time to get to the NHL, but will be worth the wait. Him and ekblad will run the panthers blueline for years.

11. LA Kings- Martin Necas
Could potentially slot in as the kings 3rd line center in 2 years.

12. Carolina Hurricanes- Eeli Tolvanen
Carolina gets another elite finnish winger. Pure sniper, can play with either lindholm or teuvo in the future

13. Winnipeg Jets- Nick Suzuki
Elite skills, but doenst have size. If he can overcome his height disadvantage, Jets add another dynamic piece to their forward group

14. Tampa Bay Lightning- Isaac Ratcliffe
Looked great in the top prospects game, big lanky center that will be a pain to play against once he fills out

15. New York Islanders- Klim Kostin
Prior to injuries pegged to go in the top 5, Isles get an elite talent at 15.

:laugh::laugh:

Watch as he slinks away now until this post falls a few pages behind.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Act like Leaf fans are some kind of persecuted minority but 5 defensemen were drafted back-to-back including Liljegren and no other fan base is pumping the tires.

Why not just embrace some uncertainty rather than acting like he's Karlsson pt2.

Re-read the post.

"That's where he stands today. But there's a very real possibility that he really should be part of a small group drafted 3-5but evaluations of him in his draft year were overly reactionary and draft day decisions overly cautious. If he has a "return to form" those draft day mistakes (which -if they were made- have a clearly identifiable cause) don't continue to define him as a prospect."

"very real possibility" (with emphasis), "if he has a return to form" (mistakes) -"if they were made"

What part of that fails to recognize uncertainty? What part is acting like he's Karlsson pt.2?

None of those other 4 defensemen have such a distinct and binary potential source of error in their draft day evaluation, and as such none have the same source of justified hope/optimism that their player was undervalued. There's hope that they develop and surpass others but nothing so tangible.

What are you trying to accomplish policing justified optimistic hope and putting words in mouths with expectations of "Karlsson pt.2"? Potentially being deserving of being held in the same light as the top picks of 2017 is no where near saying "slam dunk top 5 d-man in the NHL" Why come into a thread and whine about people not ignoring a very obvious possibility that they got lucky?

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
A few years ago I made a post (when the Leafs were down in the dumps and finishing in last place) about how sports are cyclical and that the Leafs would soon be back on top. I wrote about how fans of other teams would not be able to handle it and would hope and pray for the Leafs to fail.

We are here, Leafs fans. Enjoy it.

This thread is proof.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
A few years ago I made a post (when the Leafs were down in the dumps and finishing in last place) about how sports are cyclical and that the Leafs would soon be back on top. I wrote about how fans of other teams would not be able to handle it and would hope and pray for the Leafs to fail.

This thread is proof.

Holding off on stuff like this until you win a playoff round might be a good idea.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

This thread is proof.

It just seems like there are some posters who try to act like they are some type of authority whose job it is to put Leaf fans in their place.

Way too many posts along the lines of "lol dumb Leaf fans. You should be ashamed of hyping your player and being excited about him." All while posting in a thread about said player.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
:laugh::laugh:

Watch as he slinks away now until this post falls a few pages behind.

My mock has been brought up 3 times in this thread... Or others. Where I had him going has nothing to do with how good I think he'll be. Isn't that quite hypocritical of you guys?

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011

This thread is proof.

You haven't been out of the first round of the playoffs in how long? Back on top? Holy **** hahaha

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It just seems like there are some posters who try to act like they are some type of authority whose job it is to put Leaf fans in their place.

Way too many posts along the lines of "lol dumb Leaf fans. You should be ashamed of hyping your player and being excited about him." All while posting in a thread about said player.

This is it exactly and its sad really.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You haven't been out of the first round of the playoffs in how long? Back on top? Holy **** hahaha

You must be very bitter about the Leafs, there is not one positive thing you have said about Liljegren in this thread (besides your very generous view on where he should have been drafted in your mock draft). The Leafs have Matthews, Marner and Nylander. We'll be fine. Let's continue the discussion about Liljegren who is a terrific prospect and one I think very highly of.

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
I think Liljegren will be a great #3 dman. His skating is elite and he's not as dumb as everyone thinks. Just prone to make a few glaring mistakes every game. Once he learns to use his teammates more frequently without trying to do it all himself, he will be good. There were about 3 times in the game against USA yesterday where he held on to the puck while walking the line and didn't look to pass once which made for 3 shots right into shin pads. He telegraphs everything because he has one thing on his mind every time he has the puck, and that's getting it to the net. He's quite the polarizing player it seems. Hopefully he can polish his game in the upcoming months so he's ready to lead Sweden's blue line at the WJC with Dahlin.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

This thread is proof.

not to be a dick, but you have not been near the top in ages. So some would say it's about time.

The Leafs being successful or not has nothing to do with how Liljegren will end up. He has talent. He just needs to keep developing.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I think Liljegren will be a great #3 dman. His skating is elite and he's not as dumb as everyone thinks. Just prone to make a few glaring mistakes every game. Once he learns to use his teammates more frequently without trying to do it all himself, he will be good. There were about 3 times in the game against USA yesterday where he held on to the puck while walking the line and didn't look to pass once which made for 3 shots right into shin pads. He telegraphs everything because he has one thing on his mind every time he has the puck, and that's getting it to the net. He's quite the polarizing player it seems. Hopefully he can polish his game in the upcoming months so he's ready to lead Sweden's blue line at the WJC with Dahlin.

What kind of crap logic is this? He will get better defensively, babs is great at getting players to make less mistakes (case and point jake gardiner). An elite skating puck moving d man who is sound defensively all while being a catalyst offensively isn't a number 3, its a top pair dman. Its okay to admit that the leafs got a great player, you don't have to qualify it and down play it. He is the kind of guy who will either be top pair or his holes won't fill out and he won't stay in the league consistently. There is no "middle pair" with timmy. My money is on him becoming a top pair dman though. Has all the tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad