RD Timothy Liljegren - Ex-Rogle BK, SHL (2017, 17th, TOR) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goggles Pisano

Sep 3, 2010
Kitchener-Waterloo
I have watched every Marlies playoff game and the kid passes the eye test. He has looked good. You can actually see the development from game one in the playoffs to game 18. This Marlies run has been great for his progress. Sheldon Keefe has handled his ice time and the situations he is exposed to almost flawlessly.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
So for you, one good shot off the post in the 3rd erases multiple defensive zone turnovers in the first two periods, so much so, that you could hear the exasperation in the Leafs announcer's voice as he says something like "...and another turnover by Liljegren"?

After all the hype he'd been getting, I was excited about being able to see him play finally, but was pretty unimpressed in the first few Finals games where he did some good in the offensive zone but had real problems in his own zone. Maybe it was just rust though, because he's been better in the last couple of games.
Maybe you were watching the wrong game? The only Marlies D-man that was good defensively that game and without any major turnovers was Timmy. In a game where they surrendered 5 goals Timothy was on the ice for 0 goals against. If you really want to talk about turnovers in the defensive zone, let's talk about Justin Holl and to a lesser degree LoVerde. Only thing that can justify your ignorant post is the fact that maybe you can't tell the difference between #4/5 and #7 on the ice.

Another tip off to the fact that you haven't watched any games is you mentioning Lilly's play in the O-zone. Because so far in this series, his defence has been excellent and he's been average at best in the O-zone as seen by the other haters in this thread bitching about his offensive abilities. If people are going to make an argument against Lilly, Leafs fans would really appreciate it if you actually put some thought into it. Don't get lazy.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
If Edmonton offers their first for Liljegren do you accept
Not a chance. We had a potential lottery pick drop in our lap because of supposed flaws. All he's done in his D+1 is disprove all the garbage that was thrown out about him before/ during/ post draft. He may not still be a lottery level talent but he's turned out to be an excellent player and an excellent fit in this organization. Him being a RHD is a big plus. There are no players in the draft who bring his skill set as a RHD. Unless I was guaranteed Dahlin or Svechnikov, I don't move Lilly. This isn't to say he's going to be better than the other top 10 projected players but instead that there isn't a player like Lilly in this draft who fits a huge need for this franchise.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

HC7

May 2, 2018
Knowing what we know about Liljegren, he would probably be the 2nd D off the board this year, and likely 1/2 last year as well.

Before anyone cries just know that he had 5 points in 19 games while having mono, yet Boqvist only had 1 in 15...

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Another tip off to the fact that you haven't watched any games is you mentioning Lilly's play in the O-zone.

I've watched every game, except the last one I turned off at 4-1. The stream isn't the greatest quality, so it's tough to see most players' names, and I have no idea which players have which numbers. I just listen to what the Leaf's announcer says, and in that first game, about the only time he mentioned Liljegren's name was for turnovers in the first two periods and the shot off the post in the 3rd. No, the turnovers didn't turn into goals, but he was having trouble doing smart things with the puck against aggressive fore-checkers, hence why I said he had a bad game. He had some turnovers in Game 3 as well, therefore I wasn't impressed with his defensive play because turning the puck over in your own zone, even if it doesn't lead to a goal, is never what I want to see a defenseman on my team do.

I'm sorry I tried to say something nice by stating he was better in the offensive zone where he kept the play alive with some nice pinches and looked fine on the cycle - I guess I should've trashed him more since he didn't have a sweet ankle-breaking goal like Rosen?

With the hype Leaf fans have been doling out ("maybe the best player from his draft year", "best defenseman from this draft", "top 3 in a re-draft", etc.), I guess I just expected less sheltering and more defensively sound play in every game, even when his team isn't doing well, rather than just looking good in the wins.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I've watched every game, except the last one I turned off at 4-1. The stream isn't the greatest quality, so it's tough to see most players' names, and I have no idea which players have which numbers. I just listen to what the Leaf's announcer says, and in that first game, about the only time he mentioned Liljegren's name was for turnovers in the first two periods and the shot off the post in the 3rd. No, the turnovers didn't turn into goals, but he was having trouble doing smart things with the puck against aggressive fore-checkers, hence why I said he had a bad game. He had some turnovers in Game 3 as well, therefore I wasn't impressed with his defensive play because turning the puck over in your own zone, even if it doesn't lead to a goal, is never what I want to see a defenseman on my team do.

I'm sorry I tried to say something nice by stating he was better in the offensive zone where he kept the play alive with some nice pinches and looked fine on the cycle - I guess I should've trashed him more since he didn't have a sweet ankle-breaking goal like Rosen?

With the hype Leaf fans have been doling out ("maybe the best player from his draft year", "best defenseman from this draft", "top 3 in a re-draft", etc.), I guess I just expected less sheltering and more defensively sound play in every game, even when his team isn't doing well, rather than just looking good in the wins.
well there's the problem, lol

Feb 24, 2017
Oh yes, single handed going to win the Calder Cup.... and yes, players get judged in competitions, no matter where they are, or when they are.

Against his peers, in multiple international competitions, he hasn't shown ELITE offense. Agree, or Disagree?

This is about ELITE offense, not whether he will be a good, or useful piece. But, his one point in five game in the Calder Cup finals, is somehow proof he is going to be ELITE OFFENSIVELY ... and people are beyond defensive about this Leafs prospect.

You know who else is going to win the Calder Cup? Chris Mueller, and at the age of 22, he's fifth in AHL playoff scoring. Surely going to be an ELITE OFFENSIVE All Star based on your logic.
This Lillygrin is approaching bust status. He’s Olli Jane Levy disappointing so far. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I get he plays for the Leafs, but Liljegren was picked right around where he deserves to be and is looking good so far - not sure why there's 2000+ posts about him. He's playing for arguably the best team in the AHL and looking decent, but I don't think he's shown enough to clearly be ahead of other defensemen picked ahead of him like Foote, Valimaki, or Brannstrom. I'll concede he is making a case for himself, but it's too early to be able to extrapolate much from this +1 season.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
I get he plays for the Leafs, but Liljegren was picked right around where he deserves to be and is looking good so far - not sure why there's 2000+ posts about him. He's playing for arguably the best team in the AHL and looking decent, but I don't think he's shown enough to clearly be ahead of other defensemen picked ahead of him like Foote, Valimaki, or Brannstrom. I'll concede he is making a case for himself, but it's too early to be able to extrapolate much from this +1 season.

Liljegren likely goes around 10-13 in a re-draft today, and was a faller on draft day as well. Keeping that in mind, it's fair to say he was picked a little low due to mono/the hip injury in his draft year, and so deserved to go higher.

Can't comment much on Foote, but Liljegren had a more impressive draft+1 season than Brannstrom (see thread in the polls section). Valimaaki, by far the oldest defenceman drafted in the 1st round, didn't show much improvement in his draft+1 year from what I saw, and his points per game this season was nearly identical as it was in his draft year.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
So for you, one good shot off the post in the 3rd erases multiple defensive zone turnovers in the first two periods, so much so, that you could hear the exasperation in the Leafs announcer's voice as he says something like "...and another turnover by Liljegren"?

After all the hype he'd been getting, I was excited about being able to see him play finally, but was pretty unimpressed in the first few Finals games where he did some good in the offensive zone but had real problems in his own zone. Maybe it was just rust though, because he's been better in the last couple of games.

A lot of Marlies players were off in the 1st and half of the 2nd period. in game 1. I was pissed at Marincin too, but in the third after I was actually screaming "we love you Marincin" - was a joke to my friend s after he had been awful all game. But despite some puck bobbles which could be attributed to rust in the first half of th egame, Liljegren made some very impressive plays that stood out, especially in the 3rd.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

You're listening to Bob McGill and Todd Crocker for analysis?

Now I understand your post.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If he was 2 years older than he is right now, yeah there should be concern, but none from me. if he's still playing like this 2 years from now, then it gets into bust territory

nobody

Aug 8, 2017

Like the other posters have said, if you're listening to the play by play guys for analysis than I get your post and apologize for my dick response. The Marlies play by play guys try hard and are genuinely nice people but they are absolutely horrendous and mix up names on a consistent basis. Lilly was fine in that game. He didn't dominate or anything but he had a quiet good game. We had much worse d-man that deserved a ton of blame for the back and forth scoring. Specially those who left the Texas captain wide open for brrakaways at the blueline a couple of times.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
well there's the problem, lol
Gotta love when a person starts there statement off saying they have no idea what was actually going on during the game and precede to make a judgement on said players in that game that they have no idea what was going on. Not to mention it is entirely ridiculous with the "Hur dur if he lived up to the hype he wouldn't have a bad game!!" Yes because in the history of hockey no good player has had a rough game or turned the puck over. Just a truly terrible post from beginning to end.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You're right. Let's just go by the World Juniors. Remember how many points the Leafs 50 pt #1 defenceman got in that tournament? I guess the difference between 3 and 2 in the world juniors is the difference between 50 and whatever you think Liljegren's offensive ceiling is eh?

So Rielly is considered ELITE now?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
the Leafs thing has something to do with it for sure, when you have more fans posting you're going to get more posts. But don't forget this guy was considered a contender for #1OA heading into his draft year and fell hard because scouts didn't know what was him and what was his illness in terms of his decision making. Imo, his AHL stats are less of the driving force for the hype resurgence than the scouts all saying that his decision making looks good again, ergo it was the illness that really caused him to fall

He should get a much bigger role in the AHL next year, so he'll have the opportunity to vault himself up the prospect totem pole

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
He played in the SHL the year before his draft season. He's had a fairly long thread since well before he was drafted by the Leafs.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
ny 23 year olds had 52pts or more?

In the last 10 seasons: Green, Doughty, Hedman, Karlsson (twice), Barrie, Klingberg and Jones have put up 52 (or more) points in a season at the age of 23 (or younger).

Pretty good company.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Like the other posters have said, if you're listening to the play by play guys for analysis than I get your post and apologize for my dick response. The Marlies play by play guys try hard and are genuinely nice people but they are absolutely horrendous and mix up names on a consistent basis. Lilly was fine in that game. He didn't dominate or anything but he had a quiet good game. We had much worse d-man that deserved a ton of blame for the back and forth scoring. Specially those who left the Texas captain wide open for brrakaways at the blueline a couple of times.

Todd is okay, but Bob is yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad