RD Timothy Liljegren (2017, 17th, TOR) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly I am kind of curious how he will translate offensively now. It looks like the defensive seasoning in the AHL worked wonders. He has the tools to be elite offensively (good in transition, great shot, great vision and can walk the line) but he hasn't been put in to a position to produce in some time. I would give him and Sandin the keys to the bottom pair and spread out the minutes decently to get them exposure because I think they can dominate that usage. Continue from there.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Tulluch gave Lilly and Sandin a 3 star performance.

There were a few scary moments for Timothy Liljegren with the puck, but I still really like his confidence to make plays up the ice. As we mentioned, he made a great stretch pass to spring Timashov on a partial breakaway, which is something he’s always been good at. Rasmus Sandin had a bit more of subtle game, but he was making steady plays to get the puck going in the right direction. He also got a heavy wrister off that almost fooled Ottawa’s goaltender; he can get a lot of power behind that thing.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
All though Keefe didn't play him much in the 2nd and 3rd period last game. He had a lot of praise for him today.

"It remains to be seen at this level, but if you follow his progression at the AHL level, I see something similar happening here. It takes time for him to become comfortable and confident. At times he is unsure of himself, but then when it clicks as it did in the 2nd half of last season, he is a very reliable defensive player that is hard to play against because his gap control, and the way he shuts things down in the neutral zone and just his skill set. Once he gets the confidence to move with the puck and can make a play. I think he has adjusted to that quicker in this level I thought he might. He like Sandin and any young defenceman are still having times where it's a little inconsistent then you'd like because of the pressure the opposition puts on you, and it comes a little quicker. You can question yourself a little bit. It's why it's important to keep things in context with both of those 2 guys, and take things slowly, and pull back as we will do with Liljegren here tonight. I think he's just going to be an all round very good and very productive defenceman that can contribute in both special teams, and play against good players. Thats the track he was on in the American league. I have said it a lot but we forget he is only 20 years old. For a lot of cases, it would be a guy just coming into pro hockey, and just playing his 1st year in the American league. Instead, he's a guy who played in a game 7 in the Calder Cup and won it. Played in the top pairing last year and really thrived in that position all the way to the Conference finals. To me, he is ahead of the curve in a lot of ways, but he still is just 20, and Rasmus is 19.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Solid game. Only he and maybe a couple others played well today, which is not a good representation of the team.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Liljegren scored his 30th point in just 39 games in his return to AHL action last night.

That doubles his season total from last season, in four less games played.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Liljegren scored his 30th point in just 39 games in his return to AHL action last night.

That doubles his season total from last season, in four less games played.

Kid has been solid when up IMO. Yes he is being sheltered but for a 20 he has shown he can play. This yanking his chain is just brutal or his development, either keep him up and play him 10-15 mins a night or have home playing 20+ in the AHL.

Ceci is absolute trash yet they are willing to have him go out there game in and game out. Personally I will rather give Liljegren the opportunity to learn his craft.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Back in the AHL again this year, how far away is he from being an NHL regular, will it happen?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Back in the AHL again this year, how far away is he from being an NHL regular, will it happen?
For sure. He has been the best player on the Marlies for like the last season and a half. He's almost a lock to be up full time next year and would not be surprised to see him in the top 4 soon.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
21 year old Dmen rarely spend a ton of time in the NHL. Not to mention his injury history. He's been very good at the AHL level, but still needs more reps. Give him time. We aren't desperate for him.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
He's ready. If one RD gets injured, he's in the NHL.

Last season he was an all-star #1D but looks even better this year. Tavares went on Tim & Sid in pre-season and said the players were most impressed by Liljegren's improvements and have to say I agree so far. Best player on the ice for the Marlies and that's including Robertson and Sandin, although the latter is injured right now. All three are likely too good for the AHL.

Would love to see Liljegren beside Muzzin/Brodie moving forward.

Reactions: Morgs

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Liljegren is turning into a very solid all around dman. The best comparable for him is still Stralman imo
Stylistically, I see a blend of Stralman/Rasmus Andersson.

Another pretty dominant game from him but that Berdin goalie in Manitoba is an animal. Back to back games where he's stole points from Liljegren/Robertson on grade-A chances.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad