RD Timothy Liljegren (2017, 17th, TOR) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Until Lilly dominates he should be staying in the AHL. And let's not forget the kid is only 19 (turning 20 at the end of April) so there is no rush
I honestly wouldn't mind if he gets the Rielly treatment in the AHL. Put him in as many defensive situations as possible and let his offence take a back seat

Players don't have to dominate in the AHL to be ready for the NHL.. especially defenseman, not a lot of them "dominate" the AHL just need to be physically and mentally ready is the most important thing. I don't think anyone questions Liliegren's game not being NHL ready or having the skills to play in the NHL....

Reactions: Critical91

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Were up to the 4th Liljegren thread? Christ, you would think he was drafted 1OA. Jack Hughes is still only at 2 :laugh:
Liljegren was drafted in 2017...what did you expect? People to not talk about him doing well in that time? Look at other 2017 threads, they're not on their first or second one either.

Mar 12, 2009
Were up to the 4th Liljegren thread? Christ, you would think he was drafted 1OA. Jack Hughes is still only at 2 :laugh:
He had almost a full thread (may have been on the 2nd) by the time he was drafted because he was talked about as a potential top 5 pick the year prior to his draft season. Had a lot of hype before his draft season, a lot of talk during his draft season because of how up and down it was, and then you have a year and a half post being drafted by easily the largest fanbase on this site (which lead to Leaf hype, and people whining about Leaf hype, like your post becoming rampant).
It's crazy if you are completely oblivious to context, but here we are.

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
Saw him against utica and was not impressed made some bad pinches and was cought being cute on the first goal it was likly a bad game and nothing to worry about but when i watch him play i see all the tools but whenever he tries to really push to make difference he gets cought and beat alot just my 2 cents

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Liljegren was drafted in 2017...what did you expect? People to not talk about him doing well in that time? Look at other 2017 threads, they're not on their first or second one either.

He has not done well. He has been really underwhelming.

canucklehead44

Jun 28, 2015
i agree, however personally I think Justin Holl needs more of a look. I'm not a Leafs fan or anything but I think he's a big body with above average feet and IQ, I think Holl should get more of an opportunity, I think he can be a good security blanket if paired with Dermott or Gardiner and he can play that stay at home presence for those two guys who like to "Go"!

Watched four games of the playoffs last year and Holl stood out. Best Marlies Dman in those games.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Saw him against utica and was not impressed made some bad pinches and was cought being cute on the first goal it was likly a bad game and nothing to worry about but when i watch him play i see all the tools but whenever he tries to really push to make difference he gets cought and beat alot just my 2 cents

Curious where in the lineup he's playing?
I know he's not been pressboxed this year at all, but I'm not following the Marlies/AHL much of all this year. His numbers seem underwhelming for a guy who was drafted as an offensive D with limited defensive ability. Seems like the rest of the team around him is scoring at a decent clip.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
I can guarantee I have attended more live Marlie games than you.

Either that or you don't know what to look for

looking beyond the fact that you have displayed significant bias against the Leafs for years on end in this forum.

I can guarantee that I've not only watched more Marlies than you,

I can also guarantee that I've watched more of all of Liljegren's comparable prospects than you have too, and that I also know what to look for better than you too, comes with the territory of doing work that requires you to watch 8-10+ hours of gametape a day.

But even if you choose not to believe that, which I assume will be your response. I don't need that to know that you actually have no idea what you're talking about when it concerns anything about the Leafs (Or perhaps just hockey related in general....).

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
Curious where in the lineup he's playing?
I know he's not been pressboxed this year at all, but I'm not following the Marlies/AHL much of all this year. His numbers seem underwhelming for a guy who was drafted as an offensive D with limited defensive ability. Seems like the rest of the team around him is scoring at a decent clip.
He was playing on the first pairing untill the first goal then went into the blender for a while playing with multiple partners then back to the first pairing he looks great playing a safe game but when he trys things it doesnt work often his skillset is miles ahead of his ability to read the play which is both understandable at his age and concerning i would think he is further away than some seem to think

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

watch more. like 10-12 games not 1

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
looking beyond the fact that you have displayed significant bias against the Leafs for years on end in this forum.

I can also guarantee that I've watched more of all of Liljegren's comparable prospects than you have too, and that I also know what to look for better than you too, comes with the territory of doing work that requires you to watch 8-10+ hours of gametape a day.

But even if you choose not to believe that, which I assume will be your response. I don't need that to know that you actually have no idea what you're talking about when it concerns anything about the Leafs (Or perhaps just hockey related in general....).

And what job requires you to watch 8-10 hours of game tape a day?

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
watch more. like 10-12 games not 1
Last year i proble watched 25 games live or on leafs tv in a hr i do have a idea it was my first live game this year and thats what i thought i noticed the same thing most nights ive watched him hes going to be a nhl player for sure im just less certain his offense will translate i preffer his game when hes safe and makes smart plays when he pushes the play or challenges players on the rush he gets beat alot

Mar 12, 2009
Not sure if the high end offensive zone IQ is there (or will be). His breakout passes seem very good and game away from the puck made good leaps last year. If the offense doesn't pan out at a high level but other areas continue to progress I think he'll be more of a good 2nd pairing puck mover with solid defense. Button got heat for comparing him more to a Trevor Daley type than a pure offensive D, but if you get a near-peak Dailey type player at 17, you're doing pretty good imo (his good years seem to be forgotten/underrated). I think he probably needs all this year in AHL and at least part of next year (maybe getting a look 2nd half of next season, sort of like Dermott). Can't really see him getting much of a look this year (barring several D injuries). I think he'll still get some points at the next level, but more from quick, simple offensive zone passes/plays and from feeding guys breakout passes who convert on the rush than from controlling the play offensively.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

@Haatley is dead. He deserves it, too. He’s never posted a single reply that was worth reading on these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad