RD Timothy Liljegren (2017, 17th, TOR) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Actual scouts likely don't watch 8-10 hours a day of "game film" a week much less a day so i'm also curious as well why this guy has to watch all this AHL hockey?!?!

Yep, a game is an hour long so essentially this guy is claiming he watches 8-10 games a day. Scouts sure dont watch 8-10 games a day

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I wont lie I thought he was going to be more of a force offensively than he's shown.

2 goals in 55 games is extremely underwhelming from a player drafted pretty high and was supposed to have a huge ceiling offensively.

Can still turn out to be a very good player but doesn't look like the offensive dynamo many were hoping for.

Rudeboyting

Oct 31, 2018
Sucks hearing he’s not killing it. Not a fan of the team that picked him at all but I had him ranked highly his draft year.

Haven’t seen any Marlies games but is he still wheelin and dealin out there ? Could he still project as a top 2 or is that a long shot ?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I wont lie I thought he was going to be more of a force offensively than he's shown.

2 goals in 55 games is extremely underwhelming from a player drafted pretty high and was supposed to have a huge ceiling offensively.

Can still turn out to be a very good player but doesn't look like the offensive dynamo many were hoping for.

Combined regular season and playoffs it's 2 goals in 73GP, which is shocking given that his shot is one of his best tools.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Yeah 24 points and 2 goals in 73 games isnt a great start for a guy who is supposed to be pretty good offensively but he was still pretty young for that league when he started. He did have plenty of experience against men before going to the AHL though and was physically mature as well.

Still lots of time but seems like a guy that needs to turn it up a notch offensively if hes going to have much offensive upside at the next level. I dont think top 4 is out of question yet though, this seems like it should be a big year for him to tell which was his development is gonna go

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

He had one of the most impressive rookie seasons by an 18-year-old in AHL history.

People forget that teenage dmen playing in the AHL is an extremely rare case. People expecting him to be dominating the league at 19 need to realize the situation he's being put in. The offense will come, he's learning the defensive side of the game in a very patient system.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Struggling?

We're 9 games in and he already matched his goal total from his record-setting rookie season.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Combined regular season and playoffs it's 2 goals in 73GP, which is shocking given that his shot is one of his best tools.
His shot is not one of his best tools...you can tell you actually watches him play from this past page alone. Lot of stat watchers here.

I'm not a big fan of Tim but he's improved a lot. His first pass is among the best in the AHL and he's become a lot more well-rounded; his physical play has completely evolved. He will never be a 10+ goal scorer from the blueline in the NHL because his shot is wildly inaccurate and a little underpowered a this stage. He lacks the ability to get shots through shin pads/on net.

He's a monster puck mover though (both first pass and zone exits) and is playing top pair in the AHL as a teenager. 3pts in 9 games so far but the Marlies have started out slow.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Seeing "reports" on Liljegren is like watching a disastrous game of telephone based on two-year old bad information.

People saw "smooth skating OD with IQ issues" and forever locked in him being a Ryan Murphy type.

His IQ issue is a lack of the high end vision needed to be a true offensive creator, the kind of deficiency that will likely limit his statistical output at the highest levels. That being said his defensive game is far better than most realize, and he's lights out in transition. While he may not be an offensive creator, he can definitely a catalyst with his ability to move the puck up ice and generate zone time. I see him ending up somewhere between Spurgeon and Daley.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Seeing "reports" on Liljegren is like watching a disastrous game of telephone based on two-year old bad information.

People saw "smooth skating OD with IQ issues" and forever locked in him being a Ryan Murphy type.

His IQ issue is a lack of the high end vision needed to be a true offensive creator, the kind of deficiency that will likely limit his statistical output at the highest levels. That being said his defensive game is far better than most realize, and he's lights out in transition. While he may not be an offensive creator, he can definitely a catalyst with his ability to move the puck up ice and generate zone time. I see him ending up somewhere between Spurgeon and Daley.
Pretty much bang on. He might not end up being the 50 point D that some people were hoping for but his play in his own end is coming along way better then expected and at the end of the day if he becomes a top 4 D for us it is a win.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
let him develop.. who cares if it takes a few years. I know a lot of fans were going nutty at first with a lot of overhype as usual, but obviously he is a real impressive player that needs development time.

solid prospect for TO

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
People forget he’s a teenager playing in the third best league in the world.

Is Cal Foote a bust? Urho Vaakanainen? These are his fellow 2017 1st rounders. Liljegren is outscoring and outplaying them both so far.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I've noticed you're famous on here for just how serially wrong you seem to be about everything. I mean, you're a train wreck over in the Pettersson thread.

It's to the point now where I actually consider a criticism from you on Liljegren as a compliment.
I can't see who you're quoting but I suspect I made a smart decision in the past :laugh:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
People forget he’s a teenager playing in the third best league in the world.

Is Cal Foote a bust? Urho Vaakanainen? These are his fellow 2017 1st rounders. Liljegren is outscoring and outplaying them both so far.

Cal Foote has never played a season in the AHL or had 2 seasons prior to that getting used to playing against men inthe SHL. Hes in his rookie season and was never touted as an offensive dman. I havent watched him this year but if you want to talk about Liljegrens offense, I dont think having 2 more points in 2 more games than Cal Foote is really going to change many peoples minds.

I really dont think people are calling Liljegren a bust but if the offense doesnt start coming around some posts earlier in this thread re going to start to age badly. His offensive upside hasnt looked as great as many people have let on. Its like @4thline said earlier, his game is trending more towards a guy with a solid first pass. That doesnt mean bust it just means a future 50 point dman like some fans were talking about seems pretty unikely

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
That doesnt mean bust it just means a future 50 point dman like some fans were talking about seems pretty unikely

Gimme the Spurgeon/Daley he's looking more and more like over the Shattenkirk/M.A Bergeron many had in their minds any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->