RD Steven Santini (2013, 42nd, NJD)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
For being a 95' he's already 6'3, 205 lbs. He's going to be a very good 2-way defenseman. Definitely too early to label him top 5 potential, but he's going to go in the 1st round no doubt about that. My friend plays on that team and I haven't been able to ask him about how physical he is, so he could be somewhere between Petriangelo and Phaneuf. Someone who has watched him regularly can tell you.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He's, apparently, an early commit for next year's NTDP along with two other highly touted '95 d-men in Will Butcher and Scott Savage. The '95 group of d-men in the USA looks like it could be special at this point so next year will crucial in seeing them separate themselves from the pack. Guys like DeAngelo and McCoshen already in the USHL this year with the former likely headed to the OHL next year; Santini, Savage, and Butcher already committed to the NTDP; and others like Chris Pelnik, Keaton Thompson, Willie Raskob, etc.

I won't be able to see Santini play until he's with the NTDP but here's some short summaries from the Summer Select Camps on him from USHR:

From July 2010 Select 15 Camp, where he was ranked the top d-man:

1. Steve Santini (#2 Kelly Green) 6-2/205 - 0-1-1 - BC recruit will be playing for Apple Core (EJHL) this season. Poised. Fundamentally sound. Sees the ice well. Passes are tape-to-tape. He makes playing D look easy. Offered a spot in NTDP for '11-12.

From July 2009 Select 14 Camp, where he was ranked the top d-man:

1. Steve Santini (Westchester Express) 6’1â€, 195 lbs. – A manchild. Intimidating. Strong. Physical. Moves puck well. The top player in camp.

jhoops89

R.I.P. Thrashers
Mar 14, 2012
I never really knew about him until about a week ago. IMO he needs to get a little stronger.

dwanmaster*

Maybe Santini should have played another year in the USHL. He looked pretty lost today vs #1 Minnesota.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Fast forward half a year, Santini is providing much more offense at the college level than what was expected out of him. Many feel he has been the most consistent defensmen for Team USA at the WJC to date. his is really looking to be a massive steal for NJ. I feel he plays a very similar game to Ryan McDonagh but that would require a similar leap that Ryan took. Grabbing a Bryce Salvador in the late 2nd round still seems like a steal.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Fast forward half a year, Santini is providing much more offense at the college level than what was expected out of him. Many feel he has been the most consistent defensmen for Team USA at the WJC to date. his is really looking to be a massive steal for NJ. I feel he plays a very similar game to Ryan McDonagh but that would require a similar leap that Ryan took. Grabbing a Bryce Salvador in the late 2nd round still seems like a steal.

This draft in general is looking like a steal all around...so many great players...so deep...2003 level for sure...maybe better...enjoy Santini :D

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
team USA is even parking his rear in front of the net on power plays...almost Byfuglien esque!
I know NJ won't rush him but I think he could step into the NHL in a defensive role right now. With Larsson, Merrill, Gelinas, Severson, Scarlett, Hrabarenka and Helgeson..I feel NJ will take him along very slowly and hope to develop an offensive game.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I know NJ won't rush him but I think he could step into the NHL in a defensive role right now. With Larsson, Merrill, Gelinas, Severson, Scarlett, Hrabarenka and Helgeson..I feel NJ will take him along very slowly and hope to develop an offensive game.

Watching him play I was thinking the same thing about how he could step into the Devils lineup and not embarrass himself, he plays everything safe and takes little risk.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Santini had wrist surgery Tuesday and will be out into the new year, so no WJC for him either.
Lamoriello confirmed that prospect Steven Santini was scheduled to have surgery on his broken wrist, suffered while he was playing for Boston College in Saturday's game against UMass. The surgery was scheduled for Tuesday afternoon, but no results were available.

Santini, the Devils' first pick (42nd overall in the second round) in the 2013 NHL entry draft, is a 6-2, 205 defenseman.

“Our priority is for Steve to get healthy,†Boston College coach Jerry York said in a statement. “His presence will be missed throughout this stretch of tough competition ahead of us, but we are looking forward to him returning to our club just after the New Year.â€
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/10/devils_mike_cammalleri_does_not_have_broken_jaw.html

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
I wanted the isles to draft him really bad. He has LI connections. His father owned the Long Beach Arena for years and may still...

Hes a legit Shutdown defenseman and could def make it to the NHL.

feel the same as the rangers. He is from my home town and dated my cuz in high school.

Friend of mine from Boston a BC alum says this kid is impressing him every game before his injury. One of the better d spects hes seen in the last few yrs to go through BC

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
In a recent THN article, Santini was listed as the #5 in the top 10 rising prospects...even after his injury. Any chance to watch him play live, either on National TV or a video stream?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
already signed and made his NHL debut

will be in AHL/NHL next year

I see, NJ is building a nice group of young defenceman. Will be interesting to watch their D corps against teams like Philly's D in a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad