RD Simon Edvinsson - Grand Rapids Griffins., AHL (2021, 6th, DET)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The second pairing of Edvinsson-Petry has looked good so far and like a legit second pairing. Leaving him in Grand Rapids for any amount of time this year would be foolish.

Yep, and the fact that pairing has been together all preseason makes me think Lalonde feels the same way. Petry is the perfect vet to play that role next to Edvinsson and Edvinsson is ready for second pairing minutes

Reactions: raymond23

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
According to Left Wing Lock, Simon Edvinsson has been reassigned to the AHL.
I honestly assumed he would definately be in the NHL this season. I will admit that I don't follow Detroit too closely but I just assumed NHL forsure.

Didn't have a good preseason? Or is it just due to 1 way contracts type thing and he doesn't have to go thru waivers?

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I honestly assumed he would definately be in the NHL this season. I will admit that I don't follow Detroit too closely but I just assumed NHL forsure.

Didn't have a good preseason? Or is it just due to 1 way contracts type thing and he doesn't have to go thru waivers?
He was one of our best dmen in the preseason, so it's not because he was bad. I'm guessing yes it's because he is waiver exempt. Or they think he should get some more games playing top pairing minutes for the griffins. I guess Yzerman could've also maybe jammed himself up a bit? I'm not sure I buy that, but if Edvinsson were to be on the team, it would put 9 mil in defense on the bench which is crazy.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
He was one of our best dmen in the preseason, so it's not because he was bad. I'm guessing yes it's because he is waiver exempt. Or they think he should get some more games playing top pairing minutes for the griffins. I guess Yzerman could've also maybe jammed himself up a bit? I'm not sure I buy that, but if Edvinsson were to be on the team, it would put 9 mil in defense on the bench which is crazy.
Gives the wings a chance to do some selling at the deadline while improving the team down the stretch. It's never really a bad thing to season young defensemen and he will be hungry when the time comes.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
The Yzer-plan must involve stock piling more depth. He'll be pumping up the stats of his 30+ year old dmen to acquire assests and picks at the TDL. At that point Edvinsson slides into full-time duty.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

He was very good, but Detroit has 7 other guys signed and none of them were bad and everyone’s healthy. For now it’s a good problem.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Yzerman a genius playin 5D chess!

Just in time for another mediocre first round pick.
Yeah, as everybody pointed out on draft day they sure blew it with Danielson and ASP. :laugh:

He was very good, but Detroit has 7 other guys signed and none of them were bad and everyone’s healthy. For now it’s a good problem.
Think it's more that it's a really bad look and bad timing to waive the obvious odd man out considering his camp and pre-season came right after his Dad died.

Reactions: cole von cole

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
Needs to be called up. He is crushing the AHL on a bad team
He’s 11th in d scoring in the ahl. Being out scored by someone from his own draft class. Finally showing he might be a number 1 damn. He’s fine leave him down there. If he finishes as the top dman in the ahl maybe we cooking with fire. Det doesn’t need him to be an average nhl dman. They need him to be an all star.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He’s 11th in d scoring in the ahl. Being out scored by someone from his own draft class. Finally showing he might be a number 1 damn. He’s fine leave him down there. If he finishes as the top dman in the ahl maybe we cooking with fire. Det doesn’t need him to be an average nhl dman. They need him to be an all star.
They don't need him to be an all star AHLer.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
There is no “finally” if you have followed his development at all. He has been fantastic every year since the draft and was phenomenal in Sweden next year.
scoring is not his main ability and he is not an offense first defenseman like Clarke is. He tilts the ice completely in GR and would be our 2nd best dman in Detroit right now. You clearly don’t understand the player.

Reactions: cole von cole

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
There is no “finally” if you have followed his development at all. He has been fantastic every year since the draft and was phenomenal in Sweden next year.
scoring is not his main ability and he is not an offense first defenseman like Clarke is. He tilts the ice completely in GR and would be our 2nd best dman in Detroit right now. You clearly don’t understand the player.
A lot of maybes here. I tend to agree he’s nhl ready. Whether he’s our number two that’s a tad aggressive. But again a short hot streak and a strong preseason has already tilted your mind.

If he develops the consistency of being the best dman in the ahl I think the wings are cooking with fire.

You do not have to go far to compare what an nhl star development looks like. Mo Seider. While I agree he has developed well he is a full maybe two steps behind what Seider did.

His development looks more comparable to Nils Lundkvist. One of the best shl defenseman for years. Did middling in the ahl and now is a meh nhler. Granted I think Ed has better tools.

So let’s take a breath and accept Wd had a lot to do development wise in either the ahl or nhl to reach the end goal. A star nhl defenseman makes a bad ahl team a contender single handedly.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If u can’t dominate a lower league how to do you dominate a higher….

With his skill set he should be the number one point scorer dman in the ahl. He’s not even close yet. 11th.

Didn’t hurt Kronwalls development.
Kronwall's injuries hurt Kronwall's development.

There is no further benefit to mastering the AHL for Ed.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
If u can’t dominate a lower league how to do you dominate a higher….

With his skill set he should be the number one point scorer dman in the ahl. He’s not even close yet. 11th.

Didn’t hurt Kronwalls development.

Being the #1 scoring defenseman doesn't mean you are even close to being the the best defensive prospect in the AHL... or even a good prospect. Look at the names above him.. some are not like the others.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
A lot of maybes here. I tend to agree he’s nhl ready. Whether he’s our number two that’s a tad aggressive. But again a short hot streak and a strong preseason has already tilted your mind.

If he develops the consistency of being the best dman in the ahl I think the wings are cooking with fire.

You do not have to go far to compare what an nhl star development looks like. Mo Seider. While I agree he has developed well he is a full maybe two steps behind what Seider did.

His development looks more comparable to Nils Lundkvist. One of the best shl defenseman for years. Did middling in the ahl and now is a meh nhler. Granted I think Ed has better tools.

So let’s take a breath and accept Wd had a lot to do development wise in either the ahl or nhl to reach the end goal. A star nhl defenseman makes a bad ahl team a contender single handedly.
So you've never actually watched a single game Ed has played, have you?

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

Ed had an equivalent/better AHL season than Seiders AHL season last year. Granted Seider was a year younger when he came to the AHL, but they just did it backwards because he went back to Sweden after the AHL.

Seider never scored like Ed is now in any junior league. If he was in the AHL in his d+3 instead of the nhl, he’d probably have had a similar stat line to Ed currently. Edvinsson belongs in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad