RD Ryan Merkley - Kunlun, KHL (2018, 21st, SJS; traded to COL, released) Part II

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Historically HF posters, especially of the leafs variety are known for taking a point and running into the ground without any real knowledge. The experts said Merkley was risky, but was progressing, so I trusted that while I wasnt watching OHL games on a normal basis.
Imagine basing what information you're going to believe based on what team's logo a poster has in their avatar.

Reactions: Mach85

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Imagine basing what information you're going to believe based on what team's logo a poster has in their avatar.

I am not a sharks fan by any means and really can't stand the team or the fan base but it's super common for people on this site to go to a prospects page and just pick up what everyone else is saying and add a little bit more, and then the next person adds a little bit more and before you know it the whole story is bullshit.

It's hard to tell on this site who is actually an expert and who is just reiterating what they read when they really have no clue.

Everyone is in their own right to see the player first and then make their own judgement and not have to rely on "experts" who may or may not have a clue in what they're saying.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I am not a sharks fan by any means and really can't stand the team or the fan base but it's super common for people on this site to go to a prospects page and just pick up what everyone else is saying and add a little bit more, and then the next person adds a little bit more and before you know it the whole story is bullshit.

It's hard to tell on this site who is actually an expert and who is just reiterating what they read when they really have no clue.

Everyone is in their own right to see the player first and then make their own judgement and not have to rely on "experts" who may or may not have a clue in what they're saying.
I don't disagree. There was just one particular poster that was very dismissive of a group of people that were actually very familiar with this particular prospect.

In general though, I 100% agree with you.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I don't disagree. There was just one particular poster that was very dismissive of a group of people that were actually very familiar with this particular prospect.

In general though, I 100% agree with you.
I agree with this. It's one thing to keep the (reasonable) point in mind that many people on this site will talk even when don't really know what they're talking about, and that groupthink is very much at work in a lot of these discussions. It's another to attack other posters with unearned arrogance because they're talking about your team's prospect. I do give credit for at least coming back in here and mentioning an opinion has been revised, but it wasn't gonna go without an "I told you so" lol, given the nature of the conversation that was had before.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He's looked pretty good through his first two games.

Maybe a Tony DeAngelo type of career? Sheltered but able to put up 40-50 points and be one of the better PPQBs in the the league.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

blindpass

May 7, 2010
He needs to keep up this level of focus, cause it was nice to see last night. He was deking at the blueline, getting pucks on the net, joining the rush. Looked like a good offensive defenseman out there.
Offense is the last concern people have with Merkley.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Offense is the last concern people have with Merkley.
I realize this, but even last year he wasn't creating much at the AHL level AND wasn't playing great defense. So obviously it's good to see his good skills shine through while still waiting to see if his defense can round out into an okay defenseman level

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I realize this, but even last year he wasn't creating much at the AHL level AND wasn't playing great defense. So obviously it's good to see his good skills shine through while still waiting to see if his defense can round out into an okay defenseman level

From what I've seen this season - he's vastly improved from last season in the AHL (looked lost and slow).

Reactions: Sandisfan

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
He's looked pretty good through his first two games.

Maybe a Tony DeAngelo type of career? Sheltered but able to put up 40-50 points and be one of the better PPQBs in the the league.
DeAngelo is probably the most likely scenario. I don't expect either to be absolute superstars but still above average offensive defenseman capable of running excellent powerplays.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
DeAngelo is probably the most likely scenario. I don't expect either to be absolute superstars but still above average offensive defenseman capable of running excellent powerplays.
As long as you use them correctly, pretty valuable to a team. Problem is finding a way to use Merkley correctly with Burns and Karlsson around

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
1g 13a 14p in 17gp in his second season in the AHL.

kid looks to be developing quite nicely. Pretty sure those attitude problems were completely overblown.
Sharks may have gotten a good one here.

His attitude problems was his dedication and caring to defending, people then would lump in character problems into that, overblowing that aspect

Reactions: Dominance

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
He's done well this season. He didn't look horrible in his NHL time either. If he keeps up this level of focus I think he can become an NHLer, and excel on a powerplay and 3rd pair. Would take a lot more for him to become anything beyond that, but anything is possible

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

kid looks to be developing quite nicely. Pretty sure those attitude problems were completely overblown.

He was TERRIBLE last season. Saw bits of his game this season and looks vastly improved.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

The issues around his attitude problems were really weird. It wasn't even reported that he was a terrible person like Mitchell Miller or Tony DeAngelo and yet his reputation was worse than DeAngelo's. For sure he had a terrible attitude and habits regarding the hockey aspects of things but it doesn't really justify the hit to his reputation.

Mar 12, 2009
The issues around his attitude problems were really weird. It wasn't even reported that he was a terrible person like Mitchell Miller or Tony DeAngelo and yet his reputation was worse than DeAngelo's. For sure he had a terrible attitude and habits regarding the hockey aspects of things but it doesn't really justify the hit to his reputation.
Merkley's reputation for getting along with teammates and coachability problems (ie. having the same issues since he was 16, with several different teams and coaches) may have been more widely known (coming into the OHL as a 1st overall pick), but if you followed the OHL, DeAngelo's reputation was significantly worse in terms of the kind of person he is.
On HF now the main difference is based on DeAngelo's tweets/political views, on top of the detractors he has, he also has a weird niche of new super fans who pump his tires and downplay the reputation he's had from junior to the NHL, even rewriting the history of his issues in the Rangers organization. It's quite strange, really.
Miller was less known because it's the USHL, but uh, if you read any threads of his and compared it to Merkley's, Miller's reputation is waaaaaay worse.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
We probably won't even get to see Merkley getting impactful minutes until Burns is done in San Jose (whether that be when the contract expires, retirement, free agency, etc.). He's stuck behind 65 and 88 for the foreseeable future on the depth chart.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Merkley's reputation for getting along with teammates and coachability problems (ie. having the same issues since he was 16, with several different teams and coaches) may have been more widely known (coming into the OHL as a 1st overall pick), but if you followed the OHL, DeAngelo's reputation was significantly worse in terms of the kind of person he is.
On HF now the main difference is based on DeAngelo's tweets/political views, on top of the detractors he has, he also has a weird niche of new super fans who pump his tires and downplay the reputation he's had from junior to the NHL, even rewriting the history of his issues in the Rangers organization. It's quite strange, really.
Miller was less known because it's the USHL, but uh, if you read any threads of his and compared it to Merkley's, Miller's reputation is waaaaaay worse.
Merkley was probably on just about the same amount of DND lists comparing where they were drafted

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
so he doesn't actually seem that bad defensively at the NHL level?

can get caught puck watching but he's been competitive and has a good stick.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad