RD Ryan Merkley - Kunlun, KHL (2018, 21st, SJS; traded to COL, released) Part II

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Would you have any kind of high hopes if the most prestigious CHL franchise still can’t get you to get your act together after you were kicked off of two other teams?

I don't care one way or the other about London. I care what he does when he gets an opportunity in the pros. Which he will get regardless of what happens in London.

fEyD08

Jan 13, 2018
I almost always make sure to catch several London games each season and ideally see a couple in person. I was less committed this year, but now there’s some real motivation.

Another point that’s been more or less passed over in this discussion is that he is almost as young as you can be for the draft class. Still a kid, for sure.

Exactly. He is just too young. The frame is not there yet. Going back to the CHL was the only option for the sharks. Bulking up and getting older and then we will see.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
:laugh:

Such incredible denial from some Sharks fans.

That's not denial. That's reality. People like you just put too much stock in juniors for top draft picks. The Sharks are going to give him every opportunity to get his act together through his ELC. That's going to occur well past his time in juniors and the reality is that how he performs in the professional setting, whether it's the AHL or the NHL, is vastly more important to the Sharks than his junior career.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
That's not denial. That's reality. People like you just put too much stock in juniors for top draft picks. The Sharks are going to give him every opportunity to get his act together through his ELC. That's going to occur well past his time in juniors and the reality is that how he performs in the professional setting, whether it's the AHL or the NHL, is vastly more important to the Sharks than his junior career.

I don’t put stock in a junior career. I put stock in a guy getting kicked off of 3 teams since being drafted by the age of 19.

fEyD08

Jan 13, 2018
:laugh:

Such incredible denial from some Sharks fans.

I like staying positive about him. He had a good camp and his +- Rating was better last season. Perhaps the sharks mangement found someone in the knights organisation, helping him in this stage of his career.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I like staying positive about him. He had a good camp and his +- Rating was better last season. Perhaps the sharks mangement found someone in the knights organisation, helping him in this stage of his career.
Wasn't it Roenick who mentioned in his autobiography - he admitted although he was a high draft pick, he was an arsehole and it took him a while to grow up, get put in place by a few well-respected mentors and go through some adversity before he really figured it out and change his attitude.

I'm not pretending to know Ryan Merkley's full story, but I agree with those who think he's a young talent who has been the best (or next to best) player on each team he's been on and may benefit from a double-barrelled common message approach from his CHL & NHL teams (who command similar levels of respect).

I really hope this season works out for him. The NHL needs more talented players and this could be a life-altering experience for this young man.

Cheers

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don’t put stock in a junior career. I put stock in a guy getting kicked off of 3 teams since being drafted by the age of 19.

And then the question becomes what the difference is between getting kicked off 2 teams instead of 3? The answer is nothing. The same concern is at play regardless.

Reactions: Patty Ice

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
And then the question becomes what the difference is between getting kicked off 2 teams instead of 3? The answer is nothing. The same concern is at play regardless.

That’s not the same at all... it shows he just can’t get it, no matter what the consequences or punishments. He was just traded for peanuts to get him away from his team. Again, IF he gets given up on by the Knights, the best run franchise in the CHL, then I’d say there’s little no hope for him if he can’t get it after beating given away like that.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
That’s not the same at all... it shows he just can’t get it, no matter what the consequences or punishments. He was just traded for peanuts to get him away from his team. Again, IF he gets given up on by the Knights, the best run franchise in the CHL, then I’d say there’s little no hope for him if he can’t get it after beating given away like that.
I mean it’s one season. It’s funny how he’s never had any issues with people in the Sharks organization, where he will be next season. I think what PF is trying to say is that the Sharks have committed to Merkley for better or worse. While it won’t be good if London gives up on him, it really won’t matter in the long run. It’s his play in the AHL/NHL that matter.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I mean it’s one season. It’s funny how he’s never had any issues with people in the Sharks organization, where he will be next season. I think what PF is trying to say is that the Sharks have committed to Merkley for better or worse. While it won’t be good if London gives up on him, it really won’t matter in the long run. It’s his play in the AHL/NHL that matter.

Of course he hasn’t had issues with the Sharks.. he’s spent like 3 weeks with them instead of half a season.

I’d think having 3 teams give up on you since you were drafted and by the age of 19 would definitely matter in the long run and show a serious, deep rooted issue.

There are many players who have had attitude issues that they would never resolve. Very, very few of them made any kind of meaningful careers

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Of course he hasn’t had issues with the Sharks.. he’s spent like 3 weeks with them instead of half a season.

I’d think having 3 teams give up on you since you were drafted and by the age of 19 would definitely matter in the long run and show a serious, deep rooted issue.

There are many players who have had attitude issues that they would never resolve. Very, very few of them made any kind of meaningful careers
Why would it matter in the long run? If he comes to the Sharks and grows up with them, why does it matter? There are many players with attitude issues and there are many players that have overcome attitude issues. Yeah it’s more likely they work it out before pro but it’s not impossible for them to get over them after. I mean when I was 19 I was a tool too. By 21, I worked out most of it. By 23, I worked out the rest (I think at least :laugh:). Most players don’t come into the league until like 22-23.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Pretty sure it was showing he wasn't getting it after the second time so a third time literally means nothing on this point.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Pretty sure it was showing he wasn't getting it after the second time so a third time literally means nothing on this point.

Might as well get kicked off of 8 teams then, right!? Who cares if no one wants to be around him. That’s not a concern at all!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Might as well get kicked off of 8 teams then, right!? Who cares if no one wants to be around him. That’s not a concern at all!

What don't you get about the point that that concern is there whether he's kicked off two, three, or twelve teams? It doesn't mean there's no concern. It means the concern doesn't change the more you add to it. It's already there and it's already known. It makes no difference.

Reactions: Patty Ice

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Why would it matter in the long run? If he comes to the Sharks and grows up with them, why does it matter? There are many players with attitude issues and there are many players that have overcome attitude issues. Yeah it’s more likely they work it out before pro but it’s not impossible for them to get over them after. I mean when I was 19 I was a tool too. By 21, I worked out most of it. By 23, I worked out the rest (I think at least :laugh:). Most players don’t come into the league until like 22-23.

I mean there’s a difference between being a tool and being a detriment to your team to the point that they don’t even want to be around you. He’s playing with his peers, a good portion of them are likely tools, but even THOSE guys want nothing to do with him :laugh:

Obviously he could quite well clean it up and end up a great D, he certainly has the talent.

But the amount of Sharks fans (not you) acting like it means nothing, isn’t concerning or who cares is kind of shocking. Again, it’s NEVER a good sign that contending teams don’t want to be around him and he’s given up for pennies on the dollar. As of now, he’s wasting his talents

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
What don't you get about the point that that concern is there whether he's kicked off two, three, or twelve teams? It doesn't mean there's no concern. It means the concern doesn't change the more you add to it. It's already there and it's already known. It makes no difference.

The more chances a guy keeps getting punished and never learns. The less likely he will ever learn. This is engrained in even our legal rules. So yes, the more he keeps getting kicked off of teams and not changing his attitude, the worse.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The more chances a guy keeps getting punished and never learns. The less likely he will ever learn. This is engrained in even our legal rules. So yes, the more he keeps getting kicked off of teams and not changing his attitude, the worse.

That's not true on an individual level. And the reality is that the chances one gets has no bearing on one's ability to learn or change. They either have it or they don't. The chances have no influence on that.

fEyD08

Jan 13, 2018
Wasn't it Roenick who mentioned in his autobiography - he admitted although he was a high draft pick, he was an ******** and it took him a while to grow up, get put in place by a few well-respected mentors and go through some adversity before he really figured it out and change his attitude.

I'm not pretending to know Ryan Merkley's full story, but I agree with those who think he's a young talent who has been the best (or next to best) player on each team he's been on and may benefit from a double-barrelled common message approach from his CHL & NHL teams (who command similar levels of respect).

I really hope this season works out for him. The NHL needs more talented players and this could be a life-altering experience for this young man.

Cheers

JR is an interesting example.;) I think he didn`t had a complete turnaround in his attitude but he probably realized there was some work to do in that department. Like you wrote: Listen to the montors and things like that.

At this point it`s just easier to evaluate Merkleys on ice performance.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2