RD Noah Warren - Gatineau Olympiques, QMJHL (2022, 42nd, ANA)

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Saw him a couple years ago at a summer showcase thing, but didn't write notes because that's a weird thing to do at those events. I remember he was very poised, athletic and got around the ice terrifically. Don't remember much else.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Extremely gifted skater for his size, honestly he's a physical package that you rarely see. Has the size and skating that should allow him to be an NHL player. Very solid without the puck, he's pretty much a wall defensively, just very hard to beat. To be honest, I'm not a fan of his play with the puck, he's a guy that defers to his d partner for the breakouts as he is pretty inconsistent with his first pass, and he isn't really a guy with offensive skills or vision. His shot is okay, but for a guy his size, it can still be worked on massively.

Overall, he's probably the best purely defensive defenseman I've seen in Midget AAA the last few years, but he's got some work to do with the puck with his decision making and ability to handle the puck. That can obviously be improved to some degree, but he's likely to be drafted as a pure shutdown guy in the NHL.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Best case Brayden McNabb?

Worst case Derek Forbort?

Can anyone that’s seen him play comment if theses are fair comparisons?

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Best case Brayden McNabb?

Worst case Derek Forbort?

Can anyone that’s seen him play comment if theses are fair comparisons?
Best case is a a guy like Adam Pelech. He’s very strong in his own end. His positioning is something to marvel at. He’ll be the perfect complement for a high end LD.

Worst case? John Moore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Probably not, but I've seen so many doubtful picks recently...

As a right-handed defender, Luneau, his teammate is well ahead of him.

First round in a hockey more globalized than ever that means world top 10 defender.

He belongs to the group of good prospects in the Quebec & Maritimes region.
I've always seen him as a very physical defensive back. Technically, it is very low compared to the expectations of modern NHL.

An improved version of Biakabutuka in my opinion.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
With Luneau out for the first part of the season - Warren has taken advantage of the extra opportunities awarded to him, has 3 points in 3 games so far this season.

Has almost matched his point total from last season in 3 games to go along with his strong defensive game, is even getting 1st unit PP time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Loving that I’m seeing him use his skating more and his size more. He’s been very eye-catching recently. Am I crazy to think he could sneak into the late first? He’s so raw but boy is there upside.
I agree with you, super early in the second is my prediction, him and Luneau are interesting to watch this season

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Loving that I’m seeing him use his skating more and his size more. He’s been very eye-catching recently. Am I crazy to think he could sneak into the late first? He’s so raw but boy is there upside.
Not at all, his raw physical attributes paired with size and his defensive play are something to marvel at.
He’s never going to put up many points (although he is getting PP time in Gatineau), he more than makes up for it with his skating and play in his own zone.

Personally the way the NHL has shifted for defence men - i’d be shocked if he's not a 1st round pick.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018

"Warren is a rigid defensive defenseman who shut down zone entries and dominated board battles thanks to outstanding physical attributes and a long, active stick. He neutralized countless rushes by highlighting a surprisingly impressive gap control and a superb stick placement, negating any shot options and driving enemies to the outside. Warren absolutely relished closing out on opponents rapidly, using his incredible strength to knock attackers off the puck. He even forced numerous dump-ins by meeting opponents at the blue line with crushing hits. Warren won the majority of his loose puck battles and cleaned the crease effortlessly by overpowering his rivals. He had his ups and downs on the breakout, showcasing a smooth-sailing four-way mobility, especially for his size, but also some inconsistency issues with his first passes and decisions-making. He also struggled with his puck control, which could get exposed under pressure. Warren’s offensive potential is prone to concerns, since as it stands, once he crossed the middle of the ice, he stayed pretty harmless and detached from the play. There were certainly a few flashes — some well-timed pinches, great jumps in open space and a powerful slap shot from the point — but his offensive skill set showed to be very raw. His value as a prospect manifestly doesn’t come from his offensive contribution, but his ceiling gets inadvertently affected. I view him as a late round prospect at the moment, but with the upside to reach the middle rounds if he progresses offensively."

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Somebody will take that size and skating combination in the second round, I guarantee it. With even mild improvements to his puck skills you’re looking at an effective Logan Stanley-esque player.

Reactions: BKarchitect

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I’ll chime in:

I’m biased, I was one his coaches in Midget when he was 14. I can only say so much because I have aspirations.

He needs to play more and the big minutes and he’s not been getting those since he was 14, I think his offence has struggled because he’s never been giving confidence in those situations.

he’s a monster, baby faced still, naturally strong and can skate. At 14 there were games that he took over, we were really bad so we didn’t win much but I would have played him more.

I’d love to elaborate, but here’s not the place.

i still don’t understand why he went to Gatineau, I wouldn’t have put my kid there behind Luneau, he’s the golden boy of Hockey Quebec and I think that’s hurt Noah, longterm my money is on Noah. They could have chosen their spot and I wish they chose a different one.

Reactions: zcaptain and jgimp

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Definitely gets looked past being the same position as Luneau who came in as the no 1 pick on the same team, and being the same age. I think he's a great 2nd round pick...wish my team had one

Reactions: Dominance

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
He is indeed a monster. As steady as you can get defensively and a huge physical presence on the ice. Good skater for his size but his puck skills a work in progress. 10 yrs ago this kid is a guarenteed top45 pick, but the game has changed and transition is a very important part of the game these days. Noah will have to keep progressing with his decision making under pressure and puck skills, the smarts are there.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Definitely gets looked past being the same position as Luneau who came in as the no 1 pick on the same team, and being the same age. I think he's a great 2nd round pick...wish my team had one
Luneau is very good don’t get me wrong, but I’m not convinced he’s going to be a star in the NHL like many art. Luneau gets 30 minutes a game every game it’s nuts. They’re a young team with a lot of top young talent, won’t all pan out. They also held the rights to Legault… the 3 best RHD in QC for 2003-2004 could have played there… good thing Legault’s Dad knows the game or else he’d of been buried like Noah and yes I do believe Noah is being buried.

Reactions: Luc Poitras

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
He is indeed a monster. As steady as you can get defensively and a huge physical presence on the ice. Good skater for his size but his puck skills a work in progress. 10 yrs ago this kid is a guarenteed top45 pick, but the game has changed and transition is a very important part of the game these days. Noah will have to keep progressing with his decision making under pressure and puck skills, the smarts are there.
Again I have to refrain, I think being a top pairing guy on a Q team that won’t win as much would do Noah wonders. He’s got decent hands but again just needs the big minutes in big moments and needs to be throw into the water.

At 14 this guy was getting ejected for dropping 14 year olds, let me tell you he’s still got that baby face.

he was our best D back then, he had good hands, a great shot, was a monster but we….. just stagnated a bit, maybe a lot because..

anyways, I’m rooting for him, I do believe he can be a top guy in the NHL and have that Offence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad