RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I thought next year is Harvey-Pinaud last year of eligibility for junior hockey?

They should have a pretty good season but their core is still very young (Lapierre, Rochette and Kniazev). They'll probably wait and see where they are at mid season with this team.

But I agree, acquiring Dobson could be a possibility for them. From what I've read they might acquire Bergeron from Rouyn as well.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What’s the best development path for him.

If he’s going to be ridden that much again is that good for him long term playing 35 minutes a game in junior? Or is he better off on the third pair on LI at 13-16 minutes a game this season and getting nhl coaching.

Back to back short summers. Kid needs a break from hockey until mid June at least. Would have like 10 weeks left before camp starts. Mental and physical break.

From what I saw, I think he is 10 lbs minimum of filling out to being NHL ready. This will have him at 6'3 195. I certainly would not be adversed to having a Pulock/Mayfield/Dobson right side to start. I don't think it would hurt him to go back to junior also. But for me, he has earned a 10 game trial. Let his play decide this. It's a good problem to have. My betting money is he is ready. It's just a numbers game right now.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
They should have a pretty good season but their core is still very young (Lapierre, Rochette and Kniazev). They'll probably wait and see where they are at mid season with this team.

But I agree, acquiring Dobson could be a possibility for them. From what I've read they might acquire Bergeron from Rouyn as well.

Definitely going to be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I didn't realize he has one year left of junior ability. I think Rimouski is where he ends up, unless he makes the Isles, but I think he for sure gets nine games with them at least.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I didn't realize he has one year left of junior ability. I think Rimouski is where he ends up, unless he makes the Isles, but I think he for sure gets nine games with them at least.

This is what I see, he will make the team out of camp. At the 10 game mark, the Isles will make a decision. A lot can happen too. You don't want to see injuries, but they happen. So that is another part of it, if an Isles D man goes down, and he is the next best choice, they may just keep him. If I am correct he will be expansion draft exempt either way since he will still have less than 2 years of pro play under him.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This is what I see, he will make the team out of camp. At the 10 game mark, the Isles will make a decision. A lot can happen too. You don't want to see injuries, but they happen. So that is another part of it, if an Isles D man goes down, and he is the next best choice, they may just keep him. If I am correct he will be expansion draft exempt either way since he will still have less than 2 years of pro play under him.

Assuming it's the same rules from the last expansion draft, Dobson and all the other 2018 draftees (like Wahlstrom and Wilde) are all exempt.

Dobson has a small army to leapfrog to get a full time roster spot with the current Isles defense. Sebastian Aho is first in line out of the younger kids and is the favorite to replace Leddy if he's dealt. The coaching staff may start with Hickey (barf) to take any vacated spot as the current #7. The Isles also signed college FA Grant Hutton on a 1-year ELC and reports from Bridgeport are that he's a player. Wotherspoon and MVS are also in their final ELC seasons. In the event that Bode Wilde is in the AHL next year, he's also available to the Isles in any emergency call up situation. It's a pretty crowded situation this upcoming season.

If the Isles give Dobson the 9-game look, he would likely be the #8D and play sparingly. The big thing would be to give Dobson a taste of being a pro, being around Trotz, being around the team, being around pro trainers/nutritionists/mentors, etc. Send him back to play in the WJC and let him finish his CHL career.

There should be a lot more roster flexibility for the 2020-21 season and the door should be wide open for Dobson to win a roster spot then.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Assuming it's the same rules from the last expansion draft, Dobson and all the other 2018 draftees (like Wahlstrom and Wilde) are all exempt.

Dobson has a small army to leapfrog to get a full time roster spot with the current Isles defense. Sebastian Aho is first in line out of the younger kids and is the favorite to replace Leddy if he's dealt. The coaching staff may start with Hickey (barf) to take any vacated spot as the current #7. The Isles also signed college FA Grant Hutton on a 1-year ELC and reports from Bridgeport are that he's a player. Wotherspoon and MVS are also in their final ELC seasons. In the event that Bode Wilde is in the AHL next year, he's also available to the Isles in any emergency call up situation. It's a pretty crowded situation this upcoming season.

If the Isles give Dobson the 9-game look, he would likely be the #8D and play sparingly. The big thing would be to give Dobson a taste of being a pro, being around Trotz, being around the team, being around pro trainers/nutritionists/mentors, etc. Send him back to play in the WJC and let him finish his CHL career.

There should be a lot more roster flexibility for the 2020-21 season and the door should be wide open for Dobson to win a roster spot then.

Expansion draft and it's impact. The good thing is Dobson is spared of this if the same expansion rules apply for Seattle. I agree Aho is likely ready next year. I believe the the expansion draft may impact decisions since going off the top of my memory you can protect only 3 Defencemen? That will all likelihood be Pulock, Toews, and Pelech. So maybe this enhances Dobson's chances since he is waiver exempt? Anyway, 9 games, and a decision at game 10 seems to be the right thing to do here. At the least Dobson will be around the #1 GA team in the NHL. He will soak in the experience. It will be good for him.

Reactions: BurntToast

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

I normally hate the idea of a player sticking around to hardly play, but considering its NHL or Juniors....... I don't hate your proposed route. Maybe rotate him Hickey and Aho as the #6 through December or even give Boychuck a few nights off here and there.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I think the possibility of his playing the the CHL next year are slim and none . . he either makes the team or goes to Europe. The only thing that can happen to him in Junior next year is either pick up some bad habits due to being too dominant, or some punk decides to make a name for themselves and injures him. He's already familiar with the European lifestyle; send him to Sweden. But I think he comes in and blows us all away with the skill set. I could easily see LL try to move Boychuck as part of a hockey trade to get more offensive help. Even swapping him for someone who is overpaid but a steady producer who could goose the 3rd line. It's pretty clear that the Top 4 next year is going to be Pelech-Pulcok and Toews-Mayfield with Leddy traded. We know after one year of Trotz that the system can endure a bit of a lesser group of defenders than we thought going into the year, since it's system-based, not talent-based.

I put his odds at making the team at 50/50 right now. And I like the over . . .

Reactions: Riseonfire

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I normally hate the idea of a player sticking around to hardly play, but considering its NHL or Juniors....... I don't hate your proposed route. Maybe rotate him Hickey and Aho as the #6 through December or even give Boychuck a few nights off here and there.
Hickey and/or Leddy may not be around come opening day. So, if he's legitimately looked at as the #7 Dman and can be rotated in to give Boychuk a rest every 4th game or if there is an injury on the right side, he could be contributing in short order. And while you don't want a blue chip prospect collecting dust as a healthy scratch for a prolonged period of time, There's something to be said about being brought along slowly and learning what it means to be a pro (like traveling etc.) while getting reps at practice. And if there are no injuries or other reasons to get him into the lineup, he can go to the World Juniors and get some valuable experience there. The kid has played an insane amount of hockey over the past two years. Taking it slow for the start of the season isn't the worst thing in the world.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

If Dobson makes the team, I have a hard time seeing him worse than Hickey or Aho. Heck, he may even give Mayfield a run for the money on the 3rd pairing. When a guy is this talented, has a head for the game as Noah does. It is hard to keep it under wraps. Regardless, I am sure the Isles will do what is right for him. They are not going to throw him to the wolves, if anything he will be eased into the line up in sheltered situations.

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009
If Dobson makes the team, I have a hard time seeing him worse than Hickey or Aho. Heck, he may even give Mayfield a run for the money on the 3rd pairing. When a guy is this talented, has a head for the game as Noah does. It is hard to keep it under wraps. Regardless, I am sure the Isles will do what is right for him. They are not going to throw him to the wolves, if anything he will be eased into the line up in sheltered situations.

I don't think he'd be worse, just greener. For the record, if he shows in camp he belongs then I'm all for him being a regular next season. Lou and barry have their thoughts on young players though.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Interesting scenario developing for @_ND53 and @NYIslanders Rules say he must make the NHL or back to junior next season. My source says Isle wouldn’t send him back but could keep him early, send him to World Jr, then two weeks conditioning in AHL, then see where he’s at.
8:18 AM - May 28, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Paul M. Schurman's other Tweets
Aren't there rules in place for "conditioning stints"?

Dont you have to come off the IR or something, I feel like more teams would do this if you were allowed.

13.8 Conditioning Loan.
Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club​

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Aren't there rules in place for "conditioning stints"?

Dont you have to come off the IR or something, I feel like more teams would do this if you were allowed.

13.8 Conditioning Loan.
Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club​

Something tells me Dobson will be listed as having a few “lower body injuries” he’s dealing with the first couple of months. :D:naughty::sarcasm:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
he either makes the team or goes to Europe.

Has their ever been a CHL player who played in Europe as a 19 year old? I am not even sure they can. I know the players in the CHL have to sign contracts which sort of bind them to the CHL

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
It's really insane how the perception of the Isles defense has changed since draft night - 2018. We were absolutely terrible. All we really had was Pulock, who had yet to really take that "next step" we were hoping for. Nothing else that warranted excitement.

Fast forward to today and the core of Pulock, Pelech, Toews, and Mayfield with Dobson and Wilde waiting in the wings is probably the strongest defensive unit that I can remember since I became an Isles fan in the late 90's. Even better than the Jonsson, Aucoin, Hamrlik and Niinimaa core, IMO.

Crazy what a great coach and one great draft can do. As for Dobson himself, I really hope he gets an actual opportunity at camp. The kid has talent and seems well advanced for his age. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a spot and run with it - especially considering the alternative is Juniors and arguably a near-wasted year of development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad