RD Mitchell Miller - HK 32 Liptovsky Mikulas, Slovakia (2020, 111th, ARI rights renounced; signed by BOS, released) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
All this angst over Miller is so amusing. 1) He's one of 7 or 8 billion people on the planet. 2) He's a pretty good hockey player. 3) He appears to have a sadistic mental issue that is unnerving.

That pretty much sums up Miller and #3 carries more weight than #'s 1 or 2. As such I struggle to find any reason to give two shits whether he's been treated too harshly in this matter. Sounds like a proper dick..... let him fade into irrelevance.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
All this angst over Miller is so amusing. 1) He's one of 7 or 8 billion people on the planet. 2) He's a pretty good hockey player. 3) He appears to have a sadistic mental issue that is unnerving.

That pretty much sums up Miller and #3 carries more weight than #'s 1 or 2. As such I struggle to find any reason to give two shits whether he's been treated too harshly in this matter. Sounds like a proper dick..... let him fade into irrelevance.
And repeat this for everyone else that gets cancelled by social media mobs? I completely agree that this isn't the best case to be arguing -- both because of its importance and the amount of sympathy the target deserves. If we wanted to talk about the many other better ones it wouldn't hold anyone's attention for 10 posts, let alone 1000s.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That police statement is damning, what a horrible person and a horrible family.[/QUOTE]

Not surprised by that evidence. The parents are likely not empathetic people, so their kids would (likely) lack empathy too. I can see that family not accepting (not empathizing with) the victim’s mental disability as a serious issue in this matter. It’s becoming more and more clear, as indicated in the police report, that the victim thought of Miller as a friend. His mental disability didn’t allow him to understand Miller’s actions weren’t friendly, but rather abusive.
Miller’s family (and Miller) would probably think “Flowers For Algernon” was comedic.

Reactions: El Cohiba and HzH

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
There's something really wrong with this dude and/or his parents. It's really hard for me to even comprehend the stubbornness or inability to see the wrongness in actions they exhibit. I'm uncomfortably fascinated by this "car crash".

Reactions: El Cohiba

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
And repeat this for everyone else that gets cancelled by social media mobs? I completely agree that this isn't the best case to be arguing -- both because of its importance and the amount of sympathy the target deserves. If we wanted to talk about the many other better ones it wouldn't hold anyone's attention for 10 posts, let alone 1000s.
I agree it all gets a bit much. However, I think the cardinal rule in life should be "don't be a dick". Whenever we break that rule, and we almost all do, we pay a price. Based on the severity of the dickishness and the amount of exposure.

In the old days (pre internet and social media) it was usually town gossip and maybe the local newspaper that was the big challenge -- unless you were a truly GRANDE dick.

That's all changed. In addition to being able to stream games on tv, get instant scores, do a lot of jobs from home, email stuff that used to require going to post office, stay in touch with loved ones, etc, etc., the internet means we also get a bunch of ancillary stuff that may not be so nice. Kardashians, selfies, and endless inane shit that dulls the mind and psyche. We also ALL get a voice on EVERYTHING. And, sadly, not all of us have interesting or important things to say.

In the old days, this kid would have been fine. Could have been a racist, psychopath and probably not paid a big price. But it's not the old days anymore. His father should have been smart enough to tell the kid not to be the creep he is, because in the world of social media it might f*** up the kids meal ticket. I guess junior was too twisted to be helped, Dad was too thick to see the problem and head it off, or both.

Either way, I'm very pleased to say that the kid seems like a dick and the fact he's paying a price is something I am 100% fine with. Could discuss the nuances, but he's just not that important. Truly.

Cancel culture has always been with us. Just like narcissism has always been with us. It's just easier now and more widespread now.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
For starters, “I” didn’t do anything- unless you think I personally have the power to dictate what NHL and NCAA teams do with their players. Unless you can provide proof my posts directly influenced either organization, you’re hyperbolizing as usual.

As for the rest of your post, I’ll restate my last response: do you really believe that the only path to self-betterment is to be an NHL draft pick or D1 athlete? If so, any single example of someone becoming a better person without those “resources” would succinctly prove you wrong. I am happy to provide such an example, but I just want to make sure you’re serious about that position first.

Considering that I (and probably most of us, maybe including you too) hadn’t heard of the kid or the situation until AFTER the Yotes drafted him, I (and no one else on that matter) can speak on self improving himself before he was drafted without using ifs. He needs guidance and if we’re talking before, sure, there’s a number of ways to get him help but we’re talking AFTER he was drafted and that situation offers up an opportunity to get him guidance and pressure change because he’d have no choice if he wanted the possibility of an NHL career.

The appropriate punishment for him is change. Of how he thinks. Of he acts. Of himself as a person. And of all teams the Yotes, with their current rep, would have stopped at nothing to change him because drafting him put his reputation on the line. In that situation everyone is pressured to change and be better.

If you’re angry at him, there’s your perfect solution to remedy the situation that literally fell on everyone’s lap. It’s obvious EVERYONE knew what they were in for when drafting him and we’re making plans. Public outrage would have forced it too, but the public preferred to bury him.

So now he’ll go overseas, have a career and will have learned nothing because people got mad.

Now to answer your question, no, there are MANY ways to self better BUT this situation would have guaranteed it because we go from a kid being called on to change to a MULTI MILLION DOLLAR ORGANIZATION needing him TO change because they drafted him and because their reputation is shot. You want to put pressure on him and make him see the other side of his thinking, that’s how you do it. Makes sense now?

We don’t need another kid on the street thinking and acting like him but because of the outrage not only is that the case but now he feels he’s been proven right because of it. And he’ll end up with a career anyway if he’s as good as they say.

So what did we gain from all of this? Nothing.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Considering that I (and probably most of us, maybe including you too) hadn’t heard of the kid or the situation until AFTER the Yotes drafted him, I (and no one else on that matter) can speak on self improving himself before he was drafted without using ifs. He needs guidance and if we’re talking before, sure, there’s a number of ways to get him help but we’re talking AFTER he was drafted and that situation offers up an opportunity to get him guidance and pressure change because he’d have no choice if he wanted the possibility of an NHL career.

The appropriate punishment for him is change. Of how he thinks. Of he acts. Of himself as a person. And of all teams the Yotes, with their current rep, would have stopped at nothing to change him because drafting him put his reputation on the line. In that situation everyone is pressured to change and be better.

If you’re angry at him, there’s your perfect solution to remedy the situation that literally fell on everyone’s lap. It’s obvious EVERYONE knew what they were in for when drafting him and we’re making plans. Public outrage would have forced it too, but the public preferred to bury him.

I'm still not seeing proof anywhere in your response that I was the one solely responsible for "cancelling" Mitchell Miller as asserted in your previous post. Maybe I missed it, can you point it out to me?

Now to answer your question, no, there are MANY ways to self better

That's all you had to say. I'm glad we can agree that he does not need to be an NHL draft pick and/or D1 hockey player to accomplish the goal of self-betterment, which otherwise gives him near-limitless options to do so. In other words, "cancelling" him from being those two things- or him facing the consequences of his actions, whichever you prefer- is not the death-knell for his future that it's been made out to be in this and other threads.

We don’t need another kid on the street thinking and acting like him but because of the outrage not only is that the case but now he feels he’s been proven right because of it. And he’ll end up with a career anyway if he’s as good as they say.

But if he has other ways of becoming a better person, why would he think and act that way unless he chose to view the situation through that lens?

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I'm still not seeing proof anywhere in your response that I was the one solely responsible for "cancelling" Mitchell Miller as asserted in your previous post. Maybe I missed it, can you point it out to me?

That's all you had to say. I'm glad we can agree that he does not need to be an NHL draft pick and/or D1 hockey player to accomplish the goal of self-betterment, which otherwise gives him near-limitless options to do so. In other words, "cancelling" him from being those two things- or him facing the consequences of his actions, whichever you prefer- is not the death-knell for his future that it's been made out to be in this and other threads.

But if he has other ways of becoming a better person, why would he think and act that way unless he chose to view the situation through that lens?

Your argument is an abstract series of ifs. No one needs an nhl drafting to change, but he got one. I’m rationalizing how his draft situation could have leveraged his change and growth. Without guidance he won’t change. So where does he get it? That’s not on him because he needs help and as humans we are the worst people to self-improve alone, especially when we need a radical change in perspective. So where does he get it from? Who will help him do that?

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Your argument is an abstract series of ifs. No one needs an nhl drafting to change, but he got one. I’m rationalizing how his draft situation could have leveraged his change and growth. Without guidance he won’t change. So where does he get it? That’s not on him because he needs help and as humans we are the worst people to self-improve. So where does he get it from? Who will help him do that?
Can adults learn empathy? I don’t think Miller is a lost cause, but he clearly needs serious help.

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
Can adults learn empathy? I don’t think Miller is a lost cause, but he clearly needs serious help.

Probably not. MRI scans on the brains of adults clinically diagnosed as psychopaths have shown a major lack of activity in the areas that govern impulse, morality, empathy and aggression.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Your argument is an abstract series of ifs. No one needs an nhl drafting to change, but he got one. I’m rationalizing how his draft situation could have leveraged his change and growth. Without guidance he won’t change. So where does he get it? That’s not on him because he needs help and as humans we are the worst people to self-improve alone, especially when we need a radical change in perspective. So where does he get it from? Who will help him do that?

That's because you've demonstrated you still just don't get it.

Yes, it IS on him. All the guidance in the world won't force someone to change if they don't want it. He's had ample opportunities to make things right, it's not on everyone else to roll out the red carpet for him and presume a radical change in perspective will "just happen" when he's enjoying all sorts of privilege.

You're trying to place the blame everywhere but Mitch for the lack of support when all indications are he's not ready to accept it.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
That's because you've demonstrated you still just don't get it.

Yes, it IS on him. All the guidance in the world won't force someone to change if they don't want it. He's had ample opportunities to make things right, it's not on everyone else to roll out the red carpet for him and presume a radical change in perspective will "just happen" when he's enjoying all sorts of privilege.

You're trying to place the blame everywhere but Mitch for the lack of support when all indications are he's not ready to accept it.

What makes you assume Mitch doesn’t want to change? All we got are opinions from other people on how they feel and what they see? If the judge truly felt every word he said about Mitch, why didn’t he order him into a program or see a therapist and get him evaluated?

How do you know that he isn’t get help as we speak? We all agree on what he did was horrible but it’s become almost taboo here to discuss ways to rehabilitate the kid, the going opinion is to just chuck him with the trash and call it a day.

YOU say HE can but that’s not entirely true. It takes a community to help someone and if no ones going to reach out to him, how do you expect him to change? He made a statement to be better, why has no one reached out to challenge him to help him, if they haven’t already?

Reactions: Name Nameless

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

Where the hell have I said that? Mitch is responsible for what HE did but instead of challenging the Yotes to do good on their word to rehab him, the public forced them to drop the kid.

You say someone can fix themselves and while they want to change (Mitch himself has expressed a desire to), the question becomes what does he do, where does he go now to actually do it? The Yotes have resources to help him, the kid needs therapy and I can’t see telling someone with a disorder to help themselves, that’s just batshit. His line of thinking IS a disorder, so like I’ve ASKED you a few times now, what does he do now if he is sincere about changing? Let’s start with that question.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
What makes you assume Mitch doesn’t want to change? All we got are opinions from other people on how they feel and what they see? If the judge truly felt every word he said about Mitch, why didn’t he order him into a program or see a therapist and get him evaluated?

How do you know that he isn’t get help as we speak? We all agree on what he did was horrible but it’s become almost taboo here to discuss ways to rehabilitate the kid, the going opinion is to just chuck him with the trash and call it a day.

YOU say HE can but that’s not entirely true. It takes a community to help someone and if no ones going to reach out to him, how do you expect him to change? He made a statement to be better, why has no one reached out to challenge him to help him, if they haven’t already?

He isn't entitled in having people reaching out (to him).

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Where the hell have I said that? Mitch is responsible for what HE did but instead of challenging the Yotes to do good on their word to rehab him, the public forced them to drop the kid.

You say someone can fix themselves and while they want to change (Mitch himself has expressed a desire to), the question becomes what does he do, where does he go now to actually do it? The Yotes have resources to help him, the kid needs therapy and I can’t see telling someone with a disorder to help themselves, that’s just batshit. His line of thinking IS a disorder, so like I’ve ASKED you a few times now, what does he do now if he is sincere about changing? Let’s start with that question.

Paraphrasing what I said earlier in the thread several times, lest you pretend I haven't,

Anytime between now and going all the way back to his sentencing--he could have apologized, apologized through his agent, apologized through his family, attended therapy, joined one of the many initiatives similar to Hockey is For Everyone, had an interview to set the record straight, make a public statement, give to charity, use the college opportunity in the name of the victim. These are just my ideas off the top of my head so more creative and engaged people could certainly get a few more?

Instead of doing ANY of the above, he hid, ran, let time pass, laid low. Wrote a letter begging NHL teams to draft him. That no one in his camp is willing to vouch for him--from his agent down to his family to teammates and organizations both past and present--and that he is not willing to say or do anything on his own behalf now that this is very front-and-center shows a lack of remorse and total cowardice, definitely doesn't show progress. You also asked what makes me feel Mitch isn't ready to change--that's it. The appearance of expecting the red carpet. Not taking any responsibility. Hell even in his interviews his agents made things off limits and most people put him on DND.

I've said before I believe in forgiveness and rehabilitation, and he had a unique opportunity and blew it. He's gonna have to do a little more now.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I truly hate the fact that I hate PC(cancel culture) more than a POS like Miller.
The sanctimonious hypocritical overly woke are a true blight to everything. They are making comedy a shadow of its former self for fear of being cancelled, every famous person probably lives in fear worrying if they are next for some dumb shit they did 1-4-25 yrs ago.
I think that when 1 of these overly woke goes on 1 of their cancel fests that all of their life should be also put out in the public eye so we all can judge them.
I don't like woke culture myself because I see lots of good people accused of stuff and things taken out of context ruining people for little to no reason or a mere accusation. If someone made a family guy style joke on twitter 15 years ago and gets condemned for it with 2020 youth eyes because family guy is considered extremely offensive by modern youth, that's stupid. I also think trial by rumor and the court of public opinion cancelling people for alleged METOO incidents with no proof years after the fact is stupid.

That being said, this incident isn't "woke Culture". This guy is the Harvey Weinstein level crap METOO originally targeted because there IS evidence of horrible stuff the guy got away with for years.

This is human decency, crime and punishment. This guy is a POS and deserves to have a huge punishment like losing opportunities to play hockey because he is a racist psychopathic prick who is obviously being sheltered by Mommy and Daddy reading that report. And the kid got a slap on the wrist for it 4 years ago. Bring on the barbed paddle

And this is just one of reportedly MANY incidents of bullying since the poor victim was in grade 2. Apparently this bully has been acting this way regularly all his life and mostly getting away with it because he was enabled, clearly, by his parents. To Hell with him.

Society SHOULD be condemning pieces of crap like this until he can't take it anymore and changes his ways or implodes and winds up in jail.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place

He could have tried to better himself without being ordered to by a court. He didn’t.

Reactions: North

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He could have tried to better himself without being ordered to by a court. He didn’t.

I’ve spoken to three current head scouts and one retired and not one of them would have picked Miller in the draft solely because of Miller’s past. One of them said he really dug in on Miller and spent hours of his time on calls with coaches and teammates who all had glowing things to say about the player. But he also interviewed Miller on more than one occasion specifically about the incident and that’s when he made the determination that Miller would be taken off their draft list. “I didn’t get the feeling there was remorse,” he said. “Now I’m not saying he’s a sociopath or psychopath, but basically he said, ‘Yeah, I did it. It was stupid, it was wrong.’ But it was more than that and you wanted to him say that he realized it was more than that.”

Led by Coyotes, UND and USA Hockey, the hockey world failed Mitch Miller

Guess we know why.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives

So now he’ll go overseas, have a career and will have learned nothing because people got mad.

Now to answer your question, no, there are MANY ways to self better BUT this situation would have guaranteed it because we go from a kid being called on to change to a MULTI MILLION DOLLAR ORGANIZATION needing him TO change because they drafted him and because their reputation is shot. You want to put pressure on him and make him see the other side of his thinking, that’s how you do it. Makes sense now?

So what did we gain from all of this? Nothing.
We gained that we don´t need to watch this psycho in the NHL. It´s a win in my book.

Reactions: Cas

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We gained that we don´t need to watch this psycho in the NHL. It´s a win in my book.

Somebody will sign him eventually because character doesn't matter in sports, people say it does but that's bullshit.

If it were true Antonio Brown would not have a job in the NFL but he does because character doesn't mean jack shit in sports.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

North

Jun 25, 2009
Somebody will sign him eventually because character doesn't matter in sports, people say it does but that's bullshit.

If it were true Antonio Brown would not have a job in the NFL but he does because character doesn't mean jack shit in sports.

I don’t know if anyone in the NHL will sign him. Voynov is still in the KHL even though he could be signed to an NHL team.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don’t know if anyone in the NHL will sign him. Voynov is still in the KHL even though he could be signed to an NHL team.

Wasn't that up in the air as to if Voynov could be signed?

Even still I have a hard time believing something he did at 14 will ruin his career

North

Jun 25, 2009
Wasn't that up in the air as to if Voynov could be signed?

Even still I have a hard time believing something he did at 14 will ruin his career

Voynov can be signed. Nobody wants to though.

Until Miller shows some semblance of remorse because he actually understands how vile his behaviour was and not because it’s to his professional benefit, it very well might end his career before it starts.

Keep in mind, as stated by the family, he continued to taunt the victim even after this particular incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad